Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Small gull juv, Latvia (bad pic.)

Old Thursday 1st November 2012, 20:09   #1
CerambyX

Small gull juv, Latvia (bad pic.)

Hi,

Maybe someone wants to try to ID this gull from just this one crap photo?
Can't really add anything much more than it is seen in the picture - saw this gull with naked eye in fast flight with deep-ish wingbeats (that caught my attention) departing into the fog and managed to snap only this one frame.

I guess there are only two options - Little or Sabine's Gull. First one being common over here, second - very rare.

What's your opinion? Have fun!

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	larus_x1.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	412325  

Last edited by CerambyX : Friday 2nd November 2012 at 09:00. Reason: Spelling
Old Thursday 1st November 2012, 22:22   #2
jacana
Will Jones

looks good for Little
Latest World 2018: Western Cattle Egret (508)
Old Thursday 1st November 2012, 22:32   #3
Songkhran

Brown covert bar, and black wedge on primaries, also brownish head suggests juv Sabine's but very difficult from this one photo
Old Friday 2nd November 2012, 04:42   #4
Valéry Schollaert
Respect animals, don't eat or wear their body or skin!

Quote:
Brown covert bar, and black wedge on primaries, also brownish head suggests juv Sabine's but very difficult from this one photo
This is my feeling too!
Old Friday 2nd November 2012, 08:51   #5
CerambyX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomskua View Post
Well, that was also my first feeling after looking at photo in display... Such a shame I didn't notice this gull some 5-10 seconds earlier - if I had seen some additional features with binos, than there would be higher possibility for it to be accepted as Sabine's gull (would be only 9th record). If it was one, of course.

What about fog? Do pelagic gulls occasionally come closer to the coastline when there is thick fog? Not that it could be used as a 'ID feature', but I'm just curious.
Old Friday 2nd November 2012, 09:37   #6
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerambyX View Post
What about fog? Do pelagic gulls occasionally come closer to the coastline when there is thick fog? Not that it could be used as a 'ID feature', but I'm just curious.
Seabirds do, simply because they can no longer see the land they usually try and keep away from. A couple of years ago we had a (then) record count of Balearic Shearwaters (+ Yelkouan Shearwater) off the south Cornwall coast on a foggy day. Plus a Sabine's Gull (rare on that coast).
Old Friday 2nd November 2012, 13:47   #7
CerambyX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
Seabirds do, simply because they can no longer see the land they usually try and keep away from. A couple of years ago we had a (then) record count of Balearic Shearwaters (+ Yelkouan Shearwater) off the south Cornwall coast on a foggy day. Plus a Sabine's Gull (rare on that coast).
Thanks for the input! Haven't really done too much sea-watching so not much experience in different weather coditions (yet)! But that day visibility was exteremely poor (150-200m at best) - scope was useless
Old Friday 2nd November 2012, 20:24   #8
Songkhran

Well good luck if you are going to write a description - I don't think you have much to lose!
Old Saturday 3rd November 2012, 09:15   #9
lou salomon
the birdonist

difficult with this pic alone but my feelings also go towards sabine's gull. front wing seems to be all dark.
Old Thursday 15th November 2012, 11:06   #10
CerambyX

Sorry for the late reply, but thanks for the opinions! Sent the picture + a description (not much in there, obviously) to our equivalent of rarities committee, but no decision yet. I don't have my hopes high though, as I'm aware that it's difficult to make a judgement from just one awful photo. Birds can look deceivingly different in crap photos than they look in real life.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: