• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pine Grosbeaks on the Move ! (1 Viewer)

jpoyner

Scotland
Seems there is the start of a big invasion of Pine Grosbeak into Sweden, reportedly bigger than the one in 2000. Up to 2000 birds reported, believed to be of Russian origin. Interestingly accompanied by Northen Bullfinches of the type arriving here in the Northern Isles.
Eyes peeled!

Reported by David Erterius, Sweden on "Eurotwitch" newgroup.

JP

I'm hoping for good numbers of them here as well. Right now, I've only seen 4 but the season's early yet. Maybe by December I'll have all kinds! :)

I'm not in Sweden, but I saw a female Pine Grosbeak here this morning. The first one ever here and I think they're pretty rare. Maybe this move includes all the continents where they live! They're such cool birds!

They have been spotted in Germany, 100 km from the dutch borders! As well many many waxwings so far in Holland. about 850 birds seen yet over the last weeks!

Karl, I think there are just 11 records, the last two being in 1992 and 2000. Both were in Shetland, IIRC, and the latter was a non-twitchable one-day bird.

I think the Pine Grosbeaks near Damme , lower Saxony, Germany, have not been refound-
But lots of Waxwings on the move (still not near Bonn, sadly enough), and Redwings seem to be more numerous than usual
...on the other hand , some Firecrests are still here...

First pine grosbeak spotted In Leeuwarden, The Netherlands, deadly tired bird, flew against a window and was taken to a bird recovery centre.

They are on the move!!

erik said:
First pine grosbeak spotted In Leeuwarden, The Netherlands, deadly tired bird, flew against a window and was taken to a bird recovery centre.

They are on the move!!

That bird has now died. However Birdguides reports 2 males near Groningen today. Over here please!

Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back