• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Captive bird - Eden Project, Cornwall (1 Viewer)

AndyK

I know this is clearly released in the tropical biome at the Eden Project but im curious as to what it is?

Attachments

• P4088626.JPG
    P4088626.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 360
Interesting. A brief google search (yeah I know!) has thrown up images of birds labelled Sulawesi (pale-bellied) White-eye that look like they're taken in the field, that don't look like this. They have marked contrast between yellow throat and whitish rest of unds. There are other images that look like this bird, but they've got colour rings on. I wonder if the birds at the Eden project really are this species?

Hmmm. Anyone got a field guide or more resources to hand? I haven't seen Sulawesi (Pale-bellied) White-eye, and not sure about it's distribution etc. But did see Lemon-bellied White-eye on Sulawesi, which looks not unlike the bird posted (along with about a zillion other white-eyes I guess!). Lemon-bellied is widespread in Indonesia. Any chance these are Lemon-bellied White-eyes from Sulawesi, and someone's put 2 and 2 together when naming them at the Eden Project? I could easily be wrong though.

Looks more like Lemon-bellied - but with photos of White-eyes in captivity, who knows. It's certainly not Sulawesi White-eye, the eyering is too narrow, there's no grey at the sides of the neck and the belly doesn't contrast nearly enough. If they are from Sulawesi - they could be from anywhere and have just been sold under that name - then Lemon-bellied is a better bet. Anyone have sound recordings of the birds - it's the 'easiest' way to ID them.

Chris

Just looked at the OBC photo posted by Larry - that's Sulawesi White-eye ( unlike the one on Opus, which is an "Eden Project" White-eye )

c

Last edited:
Jamie or Pete, can you recall if the info at the Eden project just says they're white-eyes from Sulawesi, or Sulawesi White-eyes? Two quite different things!

Larry, I did not see any written info whilst there but I asked a staff member in the biome what the birds were and was told 'Sulawesi White-eye' but I guess it is just as likely that this simply meant a type White-eye from Sulawesi and he knew no better.

Larry, I did not see any written info whilst there but I asked a staff member in the biome what the birds were and was told 'Sulawesi White-eye' but I guess it is just as likely that this simply meant a type White-eye from Sulawesi and he knew no better.

Thanks Pete, I wondered if it was something like that. It's certainly meant they've taken over Sulawesi White-eye on google images though!

The book "Eden" by Tim Smit, published in 2001 states:
(my underlining)

"Pests and diseases are part of life in all botanic gardens, and controlling them is one of the great experiments. ... At the time of writing we have just introduced twenty white-eyes from South East Asia into the Humid Tropics Biome. ... Minute nesting boxes of woven sisal have been fixed to strategic trees to encourage them to breed. Next came the ten breeding pairs of geckos, four bullfrogs, six breeding pairs of green ariole lizards and some tree frogs to keep the tree canopy clean."
[Chapter 15 'Guerillas in the Mist']

No particular species mentioned there. Perhaps the "Sulawesi" has somehow come down through the years by way of a sort of Chinese Whispers!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back