Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Is the best roof in the world better optically than the best porro?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 3.23 average.
Old Sunday 11th August 2013, 13:08   #1
[email protected]

Is the best roof in the world better optically than the best porro?

I used to think porro's were better optically than roofs but after comparing the Swarovski 8x32 SV Swarovision to my Nikon 8x32 SE and Nikon 8x30 EII I think the SV is better optically than the SE or EII. What do all you porro lovers think? Have you ever compared them?
Old Sunday 11th August 2013, 13:22   #2
Holger Merlitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I used to think porro's were better optically than roofs but after comparing the Swarovski 8x32 SV Swarovision to my Nikon 8x32 SE and Nikon 8x30 EII I think the SV is better optically than the SE or EII. What do all you porro lovers think? Have you ever compared them?
There is nothing to compare, because there exists no high end binocular with Porro prisms any more on the market.

Cheers,
Holger
Old Sunday 11th August 2013, 13:29   #3
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holger Merlitz View Post
There is nothing to compare, because there exists no high end binocular with Porro prisms any more on the market.

Cheers,
Holger
The SE and the EII are as about as "High-End" as porro's get I agree but many think they are still better optically than the SV. I disagree. I think finally IMO the roofs have surpassed them with the 8x32 SV.
Old Sunday 11th August 2013, 13:47   #4
Holger Merlitz

Quote:
The SE and the EII are as about as "High-End" as porro's get I agree but many think they are still better optically than the SV. I disagree. I think finally IMO the roofs have surpassed them with the 8x32 SV.
This is true, though it has nothing to do with the prism type. The SV has superior edge-sharpness, CA-control and transmission. If you would take a SE/EII and flatten its field, add ED-glasses and state of the art coatings, then you would arrive at the same (if not superior) optical performance, and perhaps 30% cheaper.

Cheers,
Holger
Old Sunday 11th August 2013, 16:14   #5
bh46118

The SV has better light transmission than the best Porro ?

Quote:
This is true, though it has nothing to do with the prism type. The SV has superior edge-sharpness, CA-control and transmission. If you would take a SE/EII and flatten its field, add ED-glasses and state of the art coatings, then you would arrive at the same (if not superior) optical performance, and perhaps 30% cheaper.

Cheers,
Holger
Old Sunday 11th August 2013, 16:19   #6
oetzi

"The best" does in reality not exist, only outside reality in certain places.
Old Sunday 11th August 2013, 17:29   #7
Kammerdiner

Dennis,

When you already have the best birding binocular on earth why ask if it's the best??

Let's see. Add ED glass, coatings, field flatteners, eyecups worth the name, super-easy eyepiece design that doesn't give you blackouts, waterproofing, smaller, lighter, and... oh that's right, you've already got the best birding binocular on earth.

Mark
Old Sunday 11th August 2013, 18:01   #8
Torview

Holger has snookered your question Dennis, we simply don`t know how good a porro could be given the investment lavished on today`s roofs.

Are you an insecure person ? you seem to be seeking approval from other forum members rather often.
Old Sunday 11th August 2013, 22:17   #9
james holdsworth
Consulting Biologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torview View Post
Holger has snookered your question Dennis, we simply don`t know how good a porro could be given the investment lavished on today`s roofs.

Are you an insecure person ? you seem to be seeking approval from other forum members rather often.

Yep, that's it. Dennis came to the exact opposite conclusion last year or so, and started about 10 threads on the subject. Why anyone would take the guy seriously is beyond me. It's the Sybill syndrome plain and simple.
Old Monday 12th August 2013, 01:08   #10
David Swain

Dennis is preparing to dump his porros now that their market price is high, but needs a little false consensus on his "straw man" argument to convince him. Or he's worried by Holger's new piece on the merits of porros. Whatever. This will go several pages also, ad nauseum.

Nikon 8x32SE, 8x30E II
Old Monday 12th August 2013, 01:13   #11
horukuru
Here I Come !

I will keep my 8x32 SE and 8x32 SV in case I need to send one for servicing etc. So still have another bino for birding hahaha
Old Monday 12th August 2013, 01:24   #12
ceasar

Here is an idea.

Stop commenting and see how long it will take him before he starts responding to the comments above.

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 12th August 2013, 03:14   #13
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh46118 View Post
The SV has better light transmission than the best Porro ?
I don't think so, even Swaro claims better light transmission for their Habicht series of porros compared to their roofs. If I remember the numbers correctly from proudpapa's ebay site it's something like 88-90% light transmission for the SLCs and ELs versus 96% for the Habichts.

Steve
Old Monday 12th August 2013, 04:26   #14
[email protected]

Quote:

Cheers,
Holger
I agree with you. The SV's have left the porro's in the dust with all the improvements in their latest incarnation. For $600 you can't beat the SE or EII but they aren't the optical equal of the SV's. It is just that when I look through the SV, SE, and EII I am amazed that the SV is quite a bit better. If you want the best view you have to pay the $2K. Sorry, porro's lovers.

Last edited by [email protected] : Monday 12th August 2013 at 04:39.
Old Monday 12th August 2013, 05:01   #15
Torview

Anybody tried a Perger Porro yet ?
Old Monday 12th August 2013, 06:23   #16
ceasar

Quote:
I agree with you. The SV's have left the porro's in the dust with all the improvements in their latest incarnation. For $600 you can't beat the SE or EII but they aren't the optical equal of the SV's. It is just that when I look through the SV, SE, and EII I am amazed that the SV is quite a bit better. If you want the best view you have to pay the $2K. Sorry, porro's lovers.
So! What else is new, Johnny One Note?

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 12th August 2013, 08:05   #17
mulligatawny owl

Quote:
Just a personal preference, but I still prefer the view from the SE and EII better than any roof out there, and I must have tried them all by now, including SV's. Most recently I owned an SLC HD 8x42 for a few months so got to know it quite well, and a stunning bin it was ( apart from the awful focuser) but still it didn't wow me quite as much as the SE.
I guess my eyes just settle more easily into the porro view. Apart from the obvious 3D advantage I seem to perceive a sharper, more transparent, more clearly defined image with the SE's , though I doubt they are really any sharper than the SLC HD or SV.
So, from a purely optical point of view, for me, the SE's are still unsurpassed.
Old Monday 12th August 2013, 08:27   #18
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Cool

I don't think I've yet heard a WOW! out of Dennis re:- the 8x32SV .......

I also don't think that *perfunctory* is going to cut it for long (no matter how much reassurance multiple x32SV threads ultimately yield), especially with an x32HT on the horizon ........

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 12th August 2013, 09:56   #19
Torview

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligatawny owl View Post
Just a personal preference, but I still prefer the view from the SE and EII better than any roof out there, and I must have tried them all by now, including SV's. Most recently I owned an SLC HD 8x42 for a few months so got to know it quite well, and a stunning bin it was ( apart from the awful focuser) but still it didn't wow me quite as much as the SE.
I guess my eyes just settle more easily into the porro view. Apart from the obvious 3D advantage I seem to perceive a sharper, more transparent, more clearly defined image with the SE's , though I doubt they are really any sharper than the SLC HD or SV.
So, from a purely optical point of view, for me, the SE's are still unsurpassed.
X2
Old Monday 12th August 2013, 11:26   #20
Pileatus

Quote:
I went birding yesterday. We have an 8.5X42 SV, an 8X32 SV and a few 8X32 SE's. I took my SE.

The 8X32 SV beats the SE on many fronts. I commented on that here http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=242005

Anyone using an 8X32 SE is not missing any detail or suffering any loss of color and contrast. I believe the 8X32 SV is the better choice for hard core birders, but that's about it. Would I recommend you buy an SE? Probably not. Go figure.

PS
Dennis, let me know how much you get for your porros.

Last edited by Pileatus : Monday 12th August 2013 at 21:49.
Old Monday 12th August 2013, 12:14   #21
bh46118

Well that does it then, I will immediately abandon my Porros and order an SV. Dennis's reputation as a non waffling arbiter of all things optical has made this previously confusing issue crystal clear to me. Damn what a relief.

Quote:
Old Monday 12th August 2013, 14:28   #22
james holdsworth
Consulting Biologist

Quote:
I hate to keep this going but, Dennis, didn't your SV's fail the vaunted '' DVD test'' against all of your porro's?
Old Monday 12th August 2013, 14:37   #23
Torview

Quote:
Originally Posted by james holdsworth View Post
I hate to keep this going but, Dennis, didn't your SV's fail the vaunted '' DVD test'' against all of your porro's?
http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.ph...&postcount=414

"Nothing can beat a porro outside of another porro. In terms of sheer optical performance a roof will(As Taylor Swift puts it) never ever, ever, ever beat a porro."

"never ever ever ever eh !
Old Monday 12th August 2013, 15:42   #24
FrankD

So, either stance was incorrect or there is unit to unit inconsistency?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAf...1LMvsLF0DExoog
Old Monday 12th August 2013, 16:36   #25
Gilmore Girl
Beth

But in fairness Dennis...you've never tested this one against the SV:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Giant%20Binoculars%20WEB1.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	457493  

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation