• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Skua, northeast Scotland (1 Viewer)

Andrew Whitehouse

Professor of Listening
Supporter
Scotland
Juvenile skuas: they're a bit tricky. So earlier today I was seawatching from Girdle Ness in Aberdeenshire and a dark juvenile skua flew through close enough for me to get some shots. These are not particularly great photos, but show various features. I've some thoughts on what it might be but would be interested to know how others see it. All shots are of the same bird.

Attachments

• Skua Girdle Ness_131013a.jpg
    Skua Girdle Ness_131013a.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 182
  • Skua Girdle Ness_131013c.jpg
    Skua Girdle Ness_131013c.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 134
  • Skua Girdle Ness_131013d.jpg
    Skua Girdle Ness_131013d.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 93
  • Skua Girdle Ness_131013e.jpg
    Skua Girdle Ness_131013e.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 128
  • Skua Girdle Ness_131013f.jpg
    Skua Girdle Ness_131013f.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 116
Second vote for Dark morph Arctic Skua.

Central tail spike is visible in your shot. very well caught as I'd of had no hope!

Arctic for me, too. As well as tail features photo 2 shows a grey neck which I usually associate with juv dark morph arctics.
regards,
Jono

Thanks folks - Arctic Skua was what I was thinking too. One of the reasons I asked was because around this time of year it always seems that Poms start to outnumber Arctics on a lot of seawatching counts from the North Sea. I often worry about this because, although I start seeing more Poms at this time of year, I still seem to see more skuas that I think are Arctics.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back