Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Friday 26th January 2018, 14:04   #51
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Martin, maybe I'm being picky today, ...

... but I would say that in this (sub-)forum The Eponym Dictionary of Birds is correct, regarding the etymology itself, if it´s Walden or Vaurie seems more of an issue for our friends on the Bird Taxonomy and Nomenclature forum ...

Either way: well spotted!

/B
Old Friday 26th January 2018, 14:59   #52
Taphrospilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calalp View Post
if it´s Walden or Vaurie seems more of an issue for our friends on the Bird Taxonomy and Nomenclature forum ...
/B
As it is a synonym it may not that relevant for them either.
Old Friday 26th January 2018, 17:48   #53
Taphrospilus

Anyway the common name here in The Fauna of British India: Including Ceylon and Burma but OD is here.

Last edited by Taphrospilus : Saturday 27th January 2018 at 08:37.
Old Sunday 28th January 2018, 16:56   #54
Taphrospilus

Now I am a little bit confused about Beavan. There seems to be a brother Reginald C. Beavan. I assume (but do not know) that Schistura beavani is dedicated to him. But how can we know with dedications R. C. Beavan who the author had in mind? Ok one was interested in fish the other in birds. Maybe captain versus lieutenant?

And to make it even more confusing here all articles are attributed to Reginald C. Beavan 1843-1927 here. And Reginald existed.

Anyway it is not clear to me how we come from Captain R. Beavan, F.R.G.S. to Reginald C. Beavan. I feel a mixture of Robert Cecil Beavan or someone introduced the C from Captain/Colonel. Anyway the brother was an ornithologist

Last edited by Taphrospilus : Monday 29th January 2018 at 08:07.
Old Monday 29th January 2018, 09:01   #55
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Martin, the case of the (old) English Common name "Beavan's Bullfinch", for Pyrrhula erythaca BLYTH 1862 (OD here, in text), is very vague.

That´s the only bird Commemorating a "Lieutenant Beavan" that I have in my MS, where my conclusion was that this Common name is aimed at either one of the two English Army officers (both; Lieutenant, Captain); Robert Cecil Beavan (1841-1870) or his younger brother Reginald C. Beavan (1843-1927) ... the latter ended up Lieut. Colonel. How and why the Eponym Dictionary of Birds decided for the older brother is all beyond me.

Either way, and this I must add, I didn´t dig very far on "Beavan's Bullfinch", as it´s Swedish name today is gråhuvad domherre (in line with its modern English name Grey-headed Bullfinch). None of the other beavani birds are mentioned in my MS. They, all subspecies or synonyms, could be worth having a second check ... but (unfortunatelly) it I haven´t got the time.

If you, or anyone else, dig into it, and find anything contradictory (or additional) regarding the scientific names, contra whats told in today's HBW Alive Key (below), please keep us updated.
Quote:
beavani
Capt. Robert Cecil Beavan (1841-1870) British Army in India, ornithologist (cf. his brother Lt. Reginald Beavan (fl. 1873) British Army in India, sportsman, collector) (syn. Alcedo meninting rufigastra, syn. Dicrurus leucophaeus longicaudatus, subsp. Periparus rubidiventris, subsp. Prinia rufescens).
Cheers!

Björn
--

Last edited by Calalp : Tuesday 30th January 2018 at 08:55. Reason: OD link
Old Monday 29th January 2018, 09:47   #56
Taphrospilus

At least to make it easier to find ODs:
  • Periparus rubidiventris beavani OD here.
  • Prinia rufescens beavani OD here
  • Alcedo Beavani here
  • Dicrurus leucophaeus beavani See

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taphrospilus View Post
See here p. 243-246 where he described the history behind the name.
In last case depends on who of both is the author of Buchanga waldensi a person with name R. C. Beavan.

Last edited by Taphrospilus : Monday 29th January 2018 at 11:53.
Old Monday 29th January 2018, 10:33   #57
James Jobling

The Beavan brothers. Having revisited the name beavani and read the original descriptions I have reached the conclusion that Alcedo, Dicrurus and Prinia were named after Capt. Robert Beavan, and that Periparus was named after Lt. Reginald Beavan. I shall re-edit the Key accordingly.

Last edited by James Jobling : Monday 29th January 2018 at 12:34. Reason: after not for!!
Old Monday 29th January 2018, 15:56   #58
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

I cannot tell either way ... this said, after a quick look (couldn't keep my fingers away) ...

Ensign Reginald Beavan in 1860, here, became Lieutenant Reginald Beavan, 1st of January 1862, who became Captain Reginald Beavan, on 4th of May 1872 (here), who became Major Beavan 4th of May 1880 ... and onwards; Colonel and Lieut. Colonel.

Or Robert Cecil Beavan, who became Lieutenant 1st of March 1859, here ... sigh.

Why the Tit is Reginald's (or not) is beyond me.
--

Last edited by Calalp : Monday 29th January 2018 at 16:22.
Old Tuesday 30th January 2018, 15:13   #59
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

If still of any interest ...

The Birdmen of India (Edited by Bikram Grewal), here, tell us:
Quote:
R C Beavan's (1841-1870)
Captain Robert Cecil Beavan served in India for 10 years. During his short life he collected specimens of birds and eggs from various locations and contributed notes to the Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. His collection of eggs and birds is kept at the Natural History Museum. In 1864, Beavan worked at Barrackpore and spent the winter of that year in the Maunbhoom district. His notes on this period were published in the Ibis entitled Notes on various Indian Birds. He also collected in the Andaman Islands and, with additional information from Colonel Tytler, wrote The Avifauna of the Andaman Islands in the Ibis in 1867.
The species Pyrrhula erythaca, first collected by him, was called Beavan's Bullfinch and is now named Grey-headed Bullfinch. The Rufescent Prinia was earlier called Beavan's Wren Warbler. The East Himalayan race of the Rufous-vented Tit is called Parus r beavani
And the Obituary of "Mr Robert Cecil Beavan, Lieutenant ..." is found here.

Interestingly, in The Birds of St. Helena: An Annotated Checklist, by Rowlands et al, 1998 (here), he is mentioned as:
Quote:
"Captain Robert Cecil Beavan, a Lieutenant in the Bengal Staff Corps, called at the island for two days in ..."
[...]
"Robert Cecil Beavan, (Captain), Lieutenant, Bengal Staff Corps, 2 days in [Feb-Mar] 1867, on homeward voyage, medical furlough. Born 14 Aug 1841; in service, India, 14 Dec 1858 to 21 Jan 1867, from ..."
However I cannot find when (or if?) he became Captain (alt. Brevet-Captain) ...

For what it´s worth.

Björn

PS. Also note this "Permission ... to return to his duty", from 1834! Indicating there's also a second (earlier) Lieut. Robert Beavan!?
Old Tuesday 30th January 2018, 16:03   #60
Taphrospilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calalp View Post
PS. Also note this "Permission ... to return to his duty", from 1834! Indicating there's also a second (earlier) Lieut. Robert Beavan!?
Probably his father here.

Quote:
14. At Mynporie, the lady of Capt. R. Beavan, 31st. regt. N. I., of a son
...or here.
Old Tuesday 30th January 2018, 16:35   #61
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

I'm done (on this/those guy/s).

See you all elsewhere!

/B
Old Tuesday 30th January 2018, 20:20   #62
Taphrospilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Jobling View Post
The Beavan brothers. Having revisited the name beavani and read the original descriptions I have reached the conclusion that Alcedo, Dicrurus and Prinia were named after Capt. Robert Beavan, and that Periparus was named after Lt. Reginald Beavan. I shall re-edit the Key accordingly.
I am just curious how you came to this conclusion? I personally think Reginald has no middle name with C. So every time a R. C. Beavan is mentioned it seems to me Robert Cecil Beavan. Here with fish we clearly have Reginald in the boat. I see him only as ichthyologist therefore I would attribute a fish to him here as I assume Günther was confused about the brothers as well.
Old Tuesday 30th January 2018, 23:10   #63
James Jobling

Agreed, all named after Robert - I was confused by Blyth. Reginald appears to have spent a lot of his time on the North West Frontier fighting troublesome tribesmen.
Old Wednesday 31st January 2018, 08:41   #64
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Today's updated HBW Alive Key:
Quote:
beavani
Capt. Robert Cecil Beavan (1841-1870) British Army in India, ornithologist (syn. Alcedo meninting rufigastra, syn. Dicrurus leucophaeus longicaudatus, subsp. Periparus rubidiventris, subsp. Prinia rufescens).
Reginald has gone fishing. Peace and serenity. Unity rules.
Old Wednesday 1st August 2018, 15:53   #65
Taphrospilus

For sure incorrect as well here:

Quote:
'Adolpho Lessiano' not making it clear whether this referred to his brother Pierre Adolphe or his father Adolph(e).

The fathers name was René Clément Lesson (1760–1844). See here. It's hard for me to interpret any Adolph(e) into his name.

But leads me as well to a question. According to the key:

Quote:
adolphei
Prof. Pierre-Adolphe Lesson (1805-1888) French surgeon-explorer, botanist (syn. Phaethornis ruber nigricinctus).
So why has Trochilus Adolphei Lesson, 1843 no priority over Phaethornis ruber nigricinctus Lawrence, 1858 here OD?

And was he really a Prof.?

Last edited by Taphrospilus : Thursday 2nd August 2018 at 08:38.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: