Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

ACTION NEEDED: Capitalization of English names on Wikipedia

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.67 average.
Old Wednesday 23rd April 2014, 06:11   #1
MichaelRetter
Michael L. P. Retter

ACTION NEEDED: Capitalization of English names on Wikipedia

I apologize in advance if this is not the correct forum for this topic.

If you think official English bird names should be capitalized, please take just a moment to share your thoughts as to why at at this link by clicking the [edit] button within it. Wikipedia is seriously considering uncapitalizing all bird names, and will do so if enough birders don't leave comments "Supporting Option 2". We who support this convention are currently losing 3:1.

Thanks for your time.
http://xenospiza.com/
Old Wednesday 23rd April 2014, 20:38   #2
Richard Klim
-------------------------

Fwiw, I quite like the widespread use of leading capitals for English vernacular names within the 'birding' community. But I think it's unrealistic to expect this practice to be followed in more general or scientific literature.
Old Wednesday 23rd April 2014, 21:11   #3
l_raty
laurent raty

At least they have solved the problem of the ontogeny of species in their discussions: a species is "a class of animals", hence "not under any circumstances a proper noun."
And they claim they are just doing grammar.
Old Wednesday 23rd April 2014, 21:17   #4
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Klim View Post
Fwiw, I quite like the widespread use of leading capitals for English vernacular names within the 'birding' community. But I think it's unrealistic to expect this practice to be followed in more general or scientific literature.
I expect the worst of the common press, but species names should be capitalised. This is not just a birding community matter. Proper lists such as Howard and Moore and Duff and Lawson use the proper form of initial capital with subsequent capitals except for hyphenated words (e.g. Lesser Black-backed Gull.)

John
Old Wednesday 23rd April 2014, 23:12   #5
Richard Klim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
I expect the worst of the common press, but species names should be capitalised. This is not just a birding community matter.
Birds, in particular, have a disproportionately large amateur following (mostly averse to using scientific names) compared with other biological classes, with consequent pressure to formalise vernacular names as alternative unique identifiers, reinforced by capitalisation.

But however strongly you/we feel about it, I don't think that the capitalisation of vernacular species names is likely to be adopted in mainstream literature anytime soon...

Last edited by Richard Klim : Wednesday 23rd April 2014 at 23:15.
Old Wednesday 23rd April 2014, 23:49   #6
Zheljko

Part of the problem is all the names of "greenish warbler" type, where a "civilian" does not care but anyone of the "in group" sees the importance of determining whether it was a species name or just a description.
Old Thursday 24th April 2014, 04:45   #7
LabradorDuck

Wow, I didn't realize that capitalizing bird names was such a horrible crime. Thank you, Wikipedia editors, for showing me the error of my ways.

Seriously, there's a lot of nastiness in that discussion.
Old Thursday 24th April 2014, 16:41   #8
Snapdragyn

It seems that anything we might attempt to say is going to be disregarded at best, or even make it worse since clearly any party who might have an interest in a Wikipedia decision who has NOT been a regular editor/contributor prior to the discussion arising is a 'meat puppet' whose opinion must be disregarded and/or attacked.

They're going to do what they're going to do. The birding community will continue to capitalize regardless.
Old Friday 25th April 2014, 11:34   #9
Acanthis

Wow! It never ceases to amaze what people find to get het up about!

Someone mentioned the example of "American yellow warbler". As birders we all know of or have seen several yellow warblers in the Americas. There is only one Setophaga petechia which solves the inherent problem of the imprecise English vernacular name but a Wikipedia page with the title 'American yellow warbler' or 'green woodpecker' or 'hooded siskin' for example is too vague to be any use. I'm sure everyone can think of many similar examples.

Wikipedia's going to end up looking rather silly if they adopt this.
Old Friday 25th April 2014, 14:07   #10
Melanie

Wikipedia is somewhat conflicting. On the one hand they want to use the common English names proposed by the IOC. But when it come to the spelling they argue all animal names except those of the birds use lower case so we have to do the same with the bird names. Well, if I use the common names from the IOC I will also use their spelling.
Old Friday 25th April 2014, 15:04   #11
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
But when it come to the spelling they argue all animal names except those of the birds use lower case so we have to do the same with the bird names.
But its simply not so: if you consult Duff and Lawson the mammal names are all capitalised in exactly the same way as we would birds' names. And I'd rather consult Duff and Lawson than wikipedia for a mammal name any day of the week.

The Handbook of British Mammals (a scientific publication) capitalises the initial name e.g. Greater horseshoe bat. What does HMW do?

John
Old Friday 25th April 2014, 15:27   #12
fugl
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapdragyn View Post
It seems that anything we might attempt to say is going to be disregarded at best, or even make it worse since clearly any party who might have an interest in a Wikipedia decision who has NOT been a regular editor/contributor prior to the discussion arising is a 'meat puppet' whose opinion must be disregarded and/or attacked.

They're going to do what they're going to do. The birding community will continue to capitalize regardless.
Indeed, who cares what Wikipedia does. Since when have they been an authority about anything!

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 25th April 2014, 15:33   #13
viator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
Wikipedia is somewhat conflicting. On the one hand they want to use the common English names proposed by the IOC. But when it come to the spelling they argue all animal names except those of the birds use lower case so we have to do the same with the bird names. Well, if I use the common names from the IOC I will also use their spelling.
What is said on that page by people who obviously have no interest in what anyone else thinks and isn't even true in the case of Wikipedia pages listing non-bird lists. They're editors with their fixed opinions don't seem to have noticed;

e.g. List of Mammals of Europe http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mammals_of_Europe is all over the place; always seems to capitalize the first letter of the first word, capitalize later hyphenated words and also complies with the birding standard sometimes but never complies with what the editors on the bird discussion page claim is the norm for animals!

Any number of other list of <pick a country/region, pick of mammals/reptiles/birds etc etc> and didn't see any complying with this argument so why the vitriol about birding lists?
Last Lifer: Beaudouin's Snake Eagle (#3796, Jun 22, '18)
Top 3 Countries: Indonesia (680), Thailand (576), China (568)
Last 2018 Bird: Stejneger's Stonechat (#782, Nov 17)
www.viatorphoto.com/wildlife_galleries/birds
Old Friday 25th April 2014, 15:33   #14
Mysticete

I can't speak for HMW (the first two volumes of which are sitting in another state). I can say that as far as science publications go, I am unaware of any journal for mammals which capitalizes Mammal common names. This is in contrast with Birds, where the majority of journal do so. So I would say, yes...capitalization of birds common names is largely a phenomena of the ornithological journals

Having recently submitted a wave of papers with common names of pinnipeds, this has sometimes snuck through the editing and resulted in edits during peer review.
Mammal: 228 Herp: 174
Old Friday 25th April 2014, 18:08   #15
Melanie

HMW uses uppercase for the mammal names but lower case for insects and plants.
Old Sunday 4th May 2014, 15:27   #16
Melanie

Seems that the lower case purists have won.
Old Sunday 4th May 2014, 18:59   #17
Steve Lister
World Birder, ex-County Recorder, Garden Moth-er

Anything I write has bird names capitalised. It always has, and always will. To me it is both right and logical. But many people and bodies, including both the RSPB and the wildlife trusts in the UK, obviously don't agree.

What is a little gull? I know for sure what a Little Gull is.

Steve
Old Sunday 4th May 2014, 21:28   #18
Nutcracker
Northumbrian

Be interesting to see what happens now. I'd recommend that all those who prefer capitalised English names resign from wikipedia if they are not allowed to captialise names any more. It means wikipedia will lose all its best bird editors, and just go further downhill as vandalism and nonsense pass in un-noticed. I gave up editing wikipedia some years ago after very similar redneck-supremacist ideas were pushed into other areas (notably plant articles).

Last edited by Nutcracker : Sunday 4th May 2014 at 21:32.
Old Sunday 4th May 2014, 21:59   #19
Richard Klim

I still fail to understand why birders are so concerned about this. Capitalisation of vernacular names has become the norm in English-language birding literature, and will surely remain so. But it's unusual to capitalise species names in scientific or more general literature, and it's reasonable that Wikipedia should have a consistent policy for all biological classes rather than pandering to the whims of a particular hobby group. So what...?!

Last edited by Richard Klim : Sunday 4th May 2014 at 22:51. Reason: typo.
Old Sunday 4th May 2014, 23:30   #20
fugl
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Klim View Post
I still fail to understand why birders are so concerned about this. Capitalisation of vernacular names has become the norm in English-language birding literature, and will surely remain so. But it's unusual to capitalise species names in scientific or more general literature, and it's reasonable that Wikipedia should have a consistent policy for all biological classes rather than pandering to the whims of a particular hobby group. So what...?!
Indeed, as I said, who cares what Wikipedia does? We have our conventions, they have theirs.

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 6th May 2014, 18:02   #21
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugl View Post
Indeed, as I said, who cares what Wikipedia does? We have our conventions, they have theirs.
Henceforth to be known on BF as wikipedia

John
Old Tuesday 6th May 2014, 22:12   #22
fugl
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
Henceforth to be known on BF as wikipedia
There you go, don't get mad, get even! Wish I'd thought of that.

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

Old Wednesday 7th May 2014, 06:25   #23
stonechat1
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lister View Post
[...] What is a little gull? I know for sure what a Little Gull is.
Steve
Old Thursday 5th June 2014, 19:11   #24
Paul Clapham

It looks like this project is now under way; earlier today I looked at the Wikipedia article about Tanimbar Corella and noticed that the page's title had been changed to "Tanimbar corella" on 1 June as part of the "Bird common name decapitalization" process. However none of the couple of dozen instances of "Tanimbar Corella" in the article had been decapitalized.

It's possible that the decapitalization project only applies to article titles, but I couldn't determine that based on the enormous discussion page.
1728 (HBW (passerines) -- 15.8% of 10966); 1728 (BLI Version 2 -- 15.5% of 11122)
Old Friday 12th December 2014, 21:44   #25
AlexC
Opus Editor
BF Supporter 2018

Just thought I'd chime in that bird articles on wiki are now, of course, a mess. For the sole reason that they mass edited all the titles of the articles for their precious Manual of Style (of course THAT is capitalized...). To adjust the copy of over 10,000 articles to make sure there's no capitalized names throughout is a near impossible task. The inconsistency is rampant.

What a mess. Truly a case of cutting off one's nose to spite one's face.
Latest 2018: Swamp Sparrow (395 World, 293/288/269 ABA, 227/219/213 CA, 204/196/190 LA Co.).

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: