• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HBW Illustrated Checklist: Quick-find Index (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
I compiled a Quick-find Index for this new Illustrated Checklist. The sequence is sometimes sufficiently puzzling to me to have made me do another of my lists. In case anyone wants to use it, feel free to do so.

I have included two versions, one a PDF, and the other one left as original Word file to facilitate adaptations to individual needs. I noticed that I could not open this second one directly. That's why I added the pdf version.

As always, the entries are based purely on my personal preferences. But at least it's in English. ;)

Attachments

• QUICK-FIND INDEX HBW CHECKLIST.docx
    18 KB · Views: 58
  • QUICK-FIND INDEX HBW CHECKLIST pdf.pdf
    35 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Interesting raptors placements

......... The sequence is sometimes sufficiently puzzling to me..........

I find it rather disconcerting to see falcons far removed from the rest of the birds of prey. It's not a problem for me to see this in the checklist. My fear concerns future field guides where I dread the idea of no longer being able to quickly compare accipiters and falcons for example. All too often, momentary quirks regarding systematics find teir way into FG arrangements. It was good old RTP (Peterson) who fully recognized the need for easy comparisons of groups whether related or not. The swift & swallow plate in his European FG was a great feature for any beginner at the time.

Regarding sequences: I vividly recall the then apparent insight that New World vultures were closely related to storks. A classic case of convergent evolution to the Old World species we were told. That came about two or three decades ago as the latest discovery. Looking at the present checklist, I notice the New World vultures are right next to the rest of the "raptors". And the storks are far from these. So I would not be surprised if the present position of the falcons might also become another ephemeral episode on the scientific playground in due time. Meanwhile, such features as quick-find lists might help to tide us over. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back