Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

10X50 Swarovision

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 3rd November 2014, 12:15   #26
mooreorless

I have the same mount for my SE and I agree well-designed and it more rigid compared to the binocu-mount. Thanks for you thoughts on the 10x50 SV. Makes me want to get one.
Old Monday 3rd November 2014, 12:27   #27
dalat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Forbes View Post
paramount to the ease of view of a pair of binoculars is the size of the edge bundle (Randpupille), a metric/property that I cannot ever remember having seen mentioned or explored on BirdForum.
Hi Dale, I also can't remember having seen this term, what does it mean?
Old Monday 3rd November 2014, 17:58   #28
elkcub
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
paramount to the ease of view of a pair of binoculars is the size of the edge bundle (Randpupille), a metric/property that I cannot ever remember having seen mentioned or explored on BirdForum. Naturally, the other factors, like the exit pupil diameter and eyecup shape, mentioned above, will also influence how easy it is to find the image. Said optical viewing comfort is obviously not a completely independent parameter and - for example - the easiest way to increase the field of view of our binoculars would be to sacrifice some of the edge bundle. This makes for a great improvement of the technical data sheet and impressive to look through, but would come at a very real cost to viewing comfort.
Hi Dale,

This sounds very interesting. Can you provide an optical reference (in English) for Randpupille?

Ed

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 3rd November 2014, 22:36   #29
bh46118

Hi Dale

Thanks so much for your comments pertaining to my post. I feel very fortunate to own my El 10X42 SV. They are in my opinion, stunning.

Bruce

Quote:
paramount to the ease of view of a pair of binoculars is the size of the edge bundle (Randpupille), a metric/property that I cannot ever remember having seen mentioned or explored on BirdForum. Naturally, the other factors, like the exit pupil diameter and eyecup shape, mentioned above, will also influence how easy it is to find the image. Said optical viewing comfort is obviously not a completely independent parameter and - for example - the easiest way to increase the field of view of our binoculars would be to sacrifice some of the edge bundle. This makes for a great improvement of the technical data sheet and impressive to look through, but would come at a very real cost to viewing comfort.
Old Tuesday 4th November 2014, 08:10   #30
Dale Forbes
SWAROVSKI OPTIK Austria

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkcub View Post
Hi Dale,
This sounds very interesting. Can you provide an optical reference (in English) for Randpupille?
Ed
It is fascinating, but I have yet to find anything useful in English but I will keep my eyes open for there is surely an optics textbook somewhere that looks in to this. As you could imagine, a lot of our understanding of how optics work and how everything hangs together (interlinked parameters, the eye, perception) has been built up internally over the years, with very little work being published.

www.birdinggame.com

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 4th November 2014, 09:24   #31
Vespobuteo

I think there are many parameters involved in creating a relaxed view: Exit pupil, resolution, light gathering capacity/objective lens size, brightness/transmission, contrast, size/design of the eye piece/eye relief, FOV, AFOV, edge to edge sharpness, depth of field, field curvature, magnification, weight and possibly more.
Old Tuesday 4th November 2014, 14:11   #32
bh46118

That is the real pathway to true optical advancement. All elements brought together to create a more complete, more wholistic viewing experience. Many models have strong points in one or two areas, only a handful are outstanding in most areas. Swarovski does this better than anyone at the present moment, but I guess we'll see if the SF can add large FOV without doing harm to the overall balance of the image. My opinion of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespobuteo View Post
I think there are many parameters involved in creating a relaxed view: Exit pupil, resolution, light gathering capacity/objective lens size, brightness/transmission, contrast, size/design of the eye piece/eye relief, FOV, AFOV, edge to edge sharpness, depth of field, field curvature, magnification, weight and possibly more.

Last edited by bh46118 : Tuesday 4th November 2014 at 15:30.
Old Wednesday 5th November 2014, 07:18   #33
dalat

Quote:
It is fascinating, but I have yet to find anything useful in English but I will keep my eyes open for there is surely an optics textbook somewhere that looks in to this.
Hi Dale, a reference in German or simply a short explanation from yourself, what "Randpupille" is, would certainly also be interesting...
Old Wednesday 5th November 2014, 23:19   #34
bh46118

In English it means Dilated Pupil Size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalat View Post
Hi Dale, a reference in German or simply a short explanation from yourself, what "Randpupille" is, would certainly also be interesting...

Last edited by bh46118 : Thursday 6th November 2014 at 11:18.
Old Wednesday 5th November 2014, 23:50   #35
elkcub
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh46118 View Post
In English it means means Dilated Pupil Size.
I think it means "edge of the pupil," or pupil edge.

Ed

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 6th November 2014, 04:22   #36
Holger Merlitz

Quote:
It is fascinating, but I have yet to find anything useful in English but I will keep my eyes open for there is surely an optics textbook somewhere that looks in to this. As you could imagine, a lot of our understanding of how optics work and how everything hangs together (interlinked parameters, the eye, perception) has been built up internally over the years, with very little work being published.
Hi Dale,

Thanks for drawing attention to that term, which so far I haven't been aware of. I may only guess: When looking into the eyepiece from a distance, we see the exit pupil, and while shifting the head to the side, this exit pupil gradually moves toward the edge of the ocular's eye-lens, while increasingly becoming vignetted. I could imagine that this thing might be called "Randpupille". I have added two pictures for illustration. In some binoculars, in which the prisms are undersized, this vignetting of the Randpupille is extreme, and viewing then turns nervous because the reduced Randpupille easily escapes the eye-pupil once you look toward the edge of field.

Cheers,
Holger
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Abb.2.links.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	286.6 KB
ID:	520781  Click image for larger version

Name:	Abb.2.mitte.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	363.1 KB
ID:	520782  
Old Thursday 6th November 2014, 07:11   #37
dalat

Interesting!

So this "edge pupil", the size of the exit pupil looked at from the side, could be a simple indicator for the ease of view...

We could compare some photos of bins with good ease of view and ones that are famous to be fiddely, to see if this works...

If true, allbinos can change their exit pupil photos from front view to side view and it would actually be meaningful

Ps: for the translation, Ed is right, Rand = edge. Dale translated himself:
Quote:
paramount to the ease of view of a pair of binoculars is the size of the edge bundle

Last edited by dalat : Thursday 6th November 2014 at 07:32.
Old Thursday 6th November 2014, 11:21   #38
bh46118

Randpupille
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/german_to_...ndpupille.html
Old Thursday 6th November 2014, 11:39   #39
Vespobuteo

old (japan) porros often had squaren shaped exit pupils…
that was not optimal..

but not very common these days,
Old Thursday 6th November 2014, 11:58   #40
mooreorless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespobuteo View Post
old (japan) porros often had squaren shaped exit pupils
that was not optimal..

but not very common these days,

That would be the difference of Bak4 Prisms [round EP] and BK7 Prisms [square EP] I have had some excellent binoculars with the BK7 prisms.
Old Thursday 6th November 2014, 12:07   #41
Pileatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedpat View Post
This SV 10x50 seems to be an awesome binocular. And these huge ocular lenses! It's something like fujinon 10x50 FMTR-SX but with more useful eye relief. I read somewhere that Fujinons have only 13mm useful eye relief because of deeply recessed lenses, and therefore doesn't work very well with eyeglasses despite the size if the lenses. But the Swarovski SV 10x50 propably is wonderful in this respect!
I tried the Fujis and you are absolutely correct regarding eye relief. The deep recess seriously degrades reported eye relief. The moment I picked up the 10X50 SV I knew its eye relief was perfect for my eyes. Star fields are extremely relaxing and quite breathtaking in the SV, especially on a stable mount. Birds look pretty good too!
Old Thursday 6th November 2014, 12:19   #42
dalat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh46118 View Post
The answer given in this link isn't correct, the context of the quote in the link (for which the OP is asking an answer) makes it clear that Randpupille is a parameter of the optical device and not of the eye (as dilated pupil), also the literal translation is straight forward (Randpupille = edge pupil).

The quote is interesting btw., as it refers to exactly the same issue raised by Dale.

The quote says: "An der Schnittstelle zum Auge ist der hoechstmoegliche Komfort zu erzielen, so dass das Durchsehen muehelos und entspannt erfolgt (z.B. durch richtige Dimensionierung von Austrittspupillenabstand und Randpupille"

Translated, this means: "At the interface to the eye, the highest possible comfort should be achieved, so that seeing through can be done relaxed and without effort (e.g. by correct sizing of eye relief and edge pupil/edge bundle).

This sounds like a well established term in textbooks...

Last edited by dalat : Thursday 6th November 2014 at 12:27.
Old Thursday 6th November 2014, 12:43   #43
dalat

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkcub View Post
I think it means "edge of the pupil," or pupil edge.
Actually, if I look at the literal translation, it is not "edge of the pupil" or "pupil edge", because that would be called "Pupillenrand". Randpupille would be rather be "pupil at the edge". So Holger's guess is probabably exactly what it is, the pupil at the edge of the ocular...
Old Thursday 6th November 2014, 12:49   #44
Kammerdiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holger Merlitz View Post
Hi Dale,

Thanks for drawing attention to that term, which so far I haven't been aware of. I may only guess: When looking into the eyepiece from a distance, we see the exit pupil, and while shifting the head to the side, this exit pupil gradually moves toward the edge of the ocular's eye-lens, while increasingly becoming vignetted. I could imagine that this thing might be called "Randpupille". I have added two pictures for illustration. In some binoculars, in which the prisms are undersized, this vignetting of the Randpupille is extreme, and viewing then turns nervous because the reduced Randpupille easily escapes the eye-pupil once you look toward the edge of field.

Cheers,
Holger
I have long suspected that that stable exit pupil was the secret of the SV's uncanny "ease of view." I never mentioned it because I'm no expert, just a user.

Holger, I notice that you used an 8x32 SV for the photos. Take the same photos with an 8x32 FL and the results are quite different. Off axis, the FL exit pupil vignettes much more quickly. In my experience, especially with glasses, that means the FL has a fussy view, the 8x32 SE even worse. I no longer have the SE, in large part because of its "fussy" view, but photos of the SV, FL, and SE off axis would be instructive I think.

It's that "slap 'em on your face" ease of view that has me hooked on the SV's (8x32, 8.5x42). I'd bet good money that Zeiss keyed in on this for the SF. If they didn't, they should have.

I also suspect that larger exit pupils are perhaps less critical in this regard. I notice a bigger difference between the 8x32 SV and 8x32 FL than I do between the 8.5x42 SV and 8x42 Prime, just as an example.

Mark
Old Thursday 6th November 2014, 13:32   #45
henry link

Like Holger, I also thought the German term "Randpupille" might mean something like "exit pupil at the edge of the field". There is always vignetting of those exit pupils in binoculars, usually reducing the exit pupil area to about 50% of the center field exit pupil.

However, predicting how "relaxing" an image might be based on a simple measurement of vignetting at the field edge won't work for several reasons. First, the raw amount of vignetting at the edge increases with apparent field, so wide field binoculars will probably show more vignetting at their field edges compared to narrow field binoculars even when the curve of increasing vignetting is identical. Second, even if the amount of vignetting at the edge is identical between two binoculars the vignetting curve may be different depending on where the internal stops occur along the objective lens light cone. And finally the effective amount of vignetting varies in the same instrument depending on the size of the eye's pupil compared to the size of the exit pupil. One reason I like large exit pupil binoculars in daylight is that a combination of small eye pupil and large exit pupil results in very low or even no effective vignetting, even when the instrument shows plenty across the full aperture.

Another possibility is that Randpupille is what we call "spherical aberration of the exit pupil" in English, a condition where rays that form the outer edges of the exit pupil have different eye relief than rays that form the center of the exit pupil. That can cause blackouts, especially in daylight, when a small eye pupil may wander from an exit pupil's center to its edge.

Henry

Last edited by henry link : Thursday 6th November 2014 at 15:55.
Old Thursday 6th November 2014, 14:12   #46
james holdsworth
Consulting Biologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kammerdiner View Post
I have long suspected that that stable exit pupil was the secret of the SV's uncanny "ease of view." I never mentioned it because I'm no expert, just a user.

Holger, I notice that you used an 8x32 SV for the photos. Take the same photos with an 8x32 FL and the results are quite different. Off axis, the FL exit pupil vignettes much more quickly. In my experience, especially with glasses, that means the FL has a fussy view, the 8x32 SE even worse. I no longer have the SE, in large part because of its "fussy" view, but photos of the SV, FL, and SE off axis would be instructive I think.

It's that "slap 'em on your face" ease of view that has me hooked on the SV's (8x32, 8.5x42). I'd bet good money that Zeiss keyed in on this for the SF. If they didn't, they should have.

I also suspect that larger exit pupils are perhaps less critical in this regard. I notice a bigger difference between the 8x32 SV and 8x32 FL than I do between the 8.5x42 SV and 8x42 Prime, just as an example.

Mark

Not sure it works that way, All of my abbe-koenig prism bins show less vignetting [or at least less collapse of the exit pupil] than my SP prism bins, when viewed in this way.

I can't say there is much correlation between which one provides a less fussy view though. Something like the Terra vignettes early but has an ''easy'' view.

Go figure.
Old Thursday 6th November 2014, 14:44   #47
Kammerdiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by james holdsworth View Post
Not sure it works that way...
I'm not sure either.

But something has to explain the difference between the 32mm FL and the SV and the only thing I can think of is the behavior of the exit pupil.

FOV is nearly the same (426 v 420). But the SV has that easy "roam around" view and the FL doesn't.

Left scratching my head.
Old Thursday 6th November 2014, 16:39   #48
Vespobuteo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kammerdiner View Post
I'm not sure either.

But something has to explain the difference between the 32mm FL and the SV and the only thing I can think of is the behavior of the exit pupil.

FOV is nearly the same (426 v 420). But the SV has that easy "roam around" view and the FL doesn't.

Left scratching my head.
Eye relief is much better on the SV,
the 8x32 FL have 16mm according to spec. My 7x42 FL I measured to 15mm effective, so I suspect that the 8x32 might have a bit less, and I got that impression when testing. The view is a bit more cramped.

The 8x32 SV have 20mm ER according to specs and effective ER might be around 18mm?

AFOV for the Zeiss FL 8x32 is 64, and for the 8x32 SV is 61.

I think that too big APOV might not be the best solution for a relaxed view.

Last edited by Vespobuteo : Thursday 6th November 2014 at 17:27.
Old Thursday 6th November 2014, 17:21   #49
Swedpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pileatus View Post
I tried the Fujis and you are absolutely correct regarding eye relief. The deep recess seriously degrades reported eye relief. The moment I picked up the 10X50 SV I knew its eye relief was perfect for my eyes. Star fields are extremely relaxing and quite breathtaking in the SV, especially on a stable mount. Birds look pretty good too!
I am looking for a good 10x50 for astronomy and really like the hefty design of Fujinon. While I usually prefer center focusing I can accept individual focusing for an instrument which is intended mainly for long range use, and tripod mounted.
Pentax DCF ED 10x50 surely is a high class binocular, but I guess SV 10x50 is superior. The much larger FOV is a great advantage. Therefore I really regret that the Fujinon has the adequate eye relief and wider FOV like the Swaro but it's wasted for eyeglasses users by a bad eyepiece design!
Apart from that the Fujinon is lower priced than pentax DCF ED and almost 1/3 of the price of SV 10x50!
A long ER isn't any good if you can't make use of it. So therefore the choice will be between DCF ED and SV. Both alternatives costs a lot, and SV10x50 a fortune...
Old Thursday 6th November 2014, 17:44   #50
Vespobuteo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedpat View Post
I am looking for a good 10x50 for astronomy and really like the hefty design of Fujinon. While I usually prefer center focusing I can accept individual focusing for an instrument which is intended mainly for long range use, and tripod mounted.
Pentax DCF ED 10x50 surely is a high class binocular, but I guess SV 10x50 is superior. The much larger FOV is a great advantage. Therefore I really regret that the Fujinon has the adequate eye relief and wider FOV like the Swaro but it's wasted for eyeglasses users by a bad eyepiece design!
Apart from that the Fujinon is lower priced than pentax DCF ED and almost 1/3 of the price of SV 10x50!
A long ER isn't any good if you can't make use of it. So therefore the choice will be between DCF ED and SV. Both alternatives costs a lot, and SV10x50 a fortune...
Zeiss Conquest 10x56?

not as good as the SV 10x50 but cheaper..
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: