Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Unstreaked Acro in London.....

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.
Old Friday 21st November 2014, 07:10   #1
KenM

Unstreaked Acro in London.....

Shot several days ago, essentially concolourously pale upperparts, whitish unders, creamy yellow toes with a ''seemingly'' longish bill?

Comments welcome
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A Marsh Acro..jpg
Views:	621
Size:	381.3 KB
ID:	522798  Click image for larger version

Name:	A pale acro 2..jpg
Views:	308
Size:	311.2 KB
ID:	522799  Click image for larger version

Name:	Another acro 3..jpg
Views:	591
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	522800  Click image for larger version

Name:	Acro down below 2..jpg
Views:	356
Size:	589.4 KB
ID:	522801  
Old Friday 21st November 2014, 09:55   #2
LowellMills
Is this your Sanderling?

I'm not experienced with the species but would genuinely think Marsh Warbler over Reed looking at those pics.
Old Friday 21st November 2014, 14:20   #3
KenM

Here's another (not very good shot) but...possibly because of the angle, might just suggest a deeper bill?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Acro down below 3..jpg
Views:	353
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	522840  
Old Friday 21st November 2014, 17:50   #4
Bismarck Honeyeater

Is this the bird at Leyton, if so, it looked a lot more pallid in life?

Doesn't look short-primaried or pointy-faced enough for a Blyth's Reed, are you thinking Marsh?

BH
@birdingprof
Old Friday 21st November 2014, 20:13   #5
Tortoise

I struggle to see Marsh Warbler in this. At these angles the pale fringes would be very obvious. For me a Reed Warbler where long bills are not that unusual although this seems to be at the extreme.
Old Friday 21st November 2014, 20:17   #6
halftwo
Wird Batcher

Marsh was my immediate thought.

I'm sure someone will come along and say they can see the emarginations.
Old Friday 21st November 2014, 20:46   #7
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck Honeyeater View Post
Is this the bird at Leyton, if so, it looked a lot more pallid in life?

Doesn't look short-primaried or pointy-faced enough for a Blyth's Reed, are you thinking Marsh?
I agree, in the flesh it appeared somewhat paler to my eye compared to the shots.

I believe there are at best three options on the table:

A worn faded adult A.scirpaceous (Reed Warbler) but, I found this somewhat difficult to reconcile with the taxa, in as much as IMO always showing warm tints to upper and lower parts, to a greater or lesser extent, this bird appeared devoid of such warmth.

Although Marsh Warbler on the face of it appears to be a better fit, and accepting the pale ''uppers'' as being a possible indicator of that species, the ''unders'' did look ''exceptionally'' white to my eye.

However, as fanciful as it may seem, how do we exclude ssp.fuscus from the equation, as I understand it, this ssp is on the German list..to quote Halftwo, emarginations might help, If only to reign in the....''imaginations'' Dunno ?
Old Friday 21st November 2014, 21:14   #8
Bismarck Honeyeater

FWIW I think it's not Blyth's Reed or Marsh but given the poor views wouldn't like to say which spp of Reed it might be. Eurasian must be the most likely though to miming might lend credence to s more Easterly origin. It's going to need some better shots to confirm it.

BH
@birdingprof
Old Saturday 22nd November 2014, 17:33   #9
Bismarck Honeyeater

Still there today and observer mentions paleness and long-billedness. I might be encouraged that Marsh Warbler is not so fanciful after all! Definitely has pale feet. If any one is an Acro expert or has a decent lens it could be worth a bash.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Acro site.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	522964  

BH
@birdingprof
Old Sunday 23rd November 2014, 11:53   #10
CharlesFentiman

I saw the bird yesterday and I think it is certainly a good candidate for Caspian Reed Warbler, but I agree with the need for more photos but also feedback with those who are familiar with the finer points on how to separate Eurasian from Caspian.
Old Sunday 23rd November 2014, 14:08   #11
wolfbirder

I think its a Eurasian Reed Warbler tho primary projection is fairly short, so probably juvenile. Think I can count 8 primary tips, BRW usually shows 6 visible - though that is hard to gauge.

Marsh IMO, show a less pointed, less needle-shaped bill, and a slightly shorter one. But of course mindful of overlap between species.

Caspian Reed would IMO more likely show a paler and broader fore super, a bit like BRW.

Be interested to see what others think. The concolorous upperparts could indeed indicate Marsh or BRW.

That bill is a whoppa though on that last (4th) photo, looks vast - is it the same bird? Large Billed Reed Warbler anyone??
Favourite birds:- Pallid Harrier, Hen Harrier, Gyrfalcon, Great Grey Owl, Snowy Owl, Wryneck, Blue-Cheeked Bee-eater, Sib Rubythroat, Firecrest, Redstart, Hawfinch, Bearded Tit, Smew, GN & BT Diver, Pom Skua, Warblers especially colourful American ones.

Last edited by wolfbirder : Sunday 23rd November 2014 at 15:55.
Old Sunday 23rd November 2014, 16:56   #12
wolfbirder

Ken, are you sure the last image is of the same bird as the first 3?
Favourite birds:- Pallid Harrier, Hen Harrier, Gyrfalcon, Great Grey Owl, Snowy Owl, Wryneck, Blue-Cheeked Bee-eater, Sib Rubythroat, Firecrest, Redstart, Hawfinch, Bearded Tit, Smew, GN & BT Diver, Pom Skua, Warblers especially colourful American ones.
Old Sunday 23rd November 2014, 22:15   #13
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbirder View Post
Ken, are you sure the last image is of the same bird as the first 3?
Affirmative to the above, just the one Acro.present Nick.

Cheers
Old Monday 24th November 2014, 21:20   #14
KenM

More Images of Stuart Fisher's, Leyton, London, adult Reed Warbler with worn plumage.

The first two images were taken on Saturday 22nd November, an overcast day with intermittent showers (Image no.2. showing the emargination on p3 in alignment with end of tertials), an A.scirpaceous requisite.

IMO the lighting was more neutral, and gave a more accurate interpretation of the bird's paleness, the other images were taken under brighter conditions, giving the uppers an ''A.palustris'' look, with strikingly white underparts.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Acro.Tim 1..jpg
Views:	267
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	523325  Click image for larger version

Name:	Acro.Tim 3..jpg
Views:	245
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	523326  Click image for larger version

Name:	AcroStone.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	523327  Click image for larger version

Name:	ACR.3.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	336.2 KB
ID:	523328  Click image for larger version

Name:	ACR.5.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	523329  

Old Tuesday 25th November 2014, 13:29   #15
Bismarck Honeyeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM View Post
More Images of Stuart Fisher's, Leyton, London, adult Reed Warbler with worn plumage.

The first two images were taken on Saturday 22nd November, an overcast day with intermittent showers (Image no.2. showing the emargination on p3 in alignment with end of tertials), an A.scirpaceous requisite.

IMO the lighting was more neutral, and gave a more accurate interpretation of the bird's paleness, the other images were taken under brighter conditions, giving the uppers an ''A.palustris'' look, with strikingly white underparts.

Cheers
Actually I found it (albeit mistaking it in very poor views whilst twitching Stuart's Whitethroats, so probably best to gloss over that)

Why has it got pale legs and bright feet? Marsh Warbler feature? Seems to change shape in each photo, yes I know they move but it looks quite Blyth's like in the last of your shots!

Where's Jane when you need her?

BH
@birdingprof
Old Tuesday 25th November 2014, 13:52   #16
Tib78

I doubt this is a Marsh, it just does not look/feel like one to me.

However, and despite the relatively long PP and P3 emargination seemingly situated quite high on the feather edge , some of the photos in the last batch do give a Blyth's impression, at least to my eyes.

But I guess such a showy bird at such a late date for the UK has been quite extensively scrutinized and Blyth's conclusively ruled out? Or?
Old Tuesday 25th November 2014, 15:16   #17
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tib78 View Post

However, and despite the relatively long PP and P3 emargination seemingly situated quite high on the feather edge , some of the photos in the last batch do give a Blyth's impression, at least to my eyes.

But I guess such a showy bird at such a late date for the UK has been quite extensively scrutinized and Blyth's conclusively ruled out? Or?
I'm relatively confident that it isn't Blyth's Tib, I think pp (as long as tertials), and the apparent position of the emargination on p3 (not being within the tertial range) discount that possibility.

However because of the birds pallor, I'm wondering if Caspian Reed Warbler might be a consideration, I've certainly never seen RW looking like this?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A yellow-legged Acro..jpg
Views:	149
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	523405  Click image for larger version

Name:	A long billed Acro shot.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	408.2 KB
ID:	523406  

Last edited by KenM : Tuesday 25th November 2014 at 19:56. Reason: adding more images
Old Wednesday 26th November 2014, 07:04   #18
Bismarck Honeyeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tib78 View Post

My problem is that it has been anything but showy

BH
@birdingprof
Old Wednesday 26th November 2014, 07:39   #19
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck Honeyeater View Post
My problem is that it has been anything but showy
Yes I agree, took me several hours on Monday to connect, and that was on a sunny day!
Old Wednesday 26th November 2014, 15:21   #20
wolfbirder

What is the general opinion of people who have seen it?
Old Wednesday 26th November 2014, 15:58   #21
CharlesFentiman

This is a very interesting looking bird, and initially reminded me of an EOW but clearly not this, but like others I considered Marsh and Blyth's and of course the possibility of it just being a odd coloured Reed warbler, but none of these are an easy fit. I already posted my conclusion that it is a good candidate for Caspian Reed Warbler. Hopefully the images posted by Ken will generate enough interest for some more London birders to go and see it!
Old Wednesday 26th November 2014, 18:48   #22
wolfbirder

The shape of the nostrils may help eliminate Marsh.

See attached..............Caspian Reed Warbler top (oval shaped nostril), Marsh lower (round shaped nostril).

http://search.aol.co.uk/aol/imageDet....wordpress.com
Old Wednesday 26th November 2014, 19:06   #23
wolfbirder

See attached

As per prev post, first picture shows Reed upper with oval nostril, marsh lower with round nostril

Second picture is best image I can blow up of subject bird, it looks (to me) to have an oval nostril but better photos may help here................

BRW also have oval shaped nostril BTW.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bill-comparison-Reed top, Marsh lower.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	523527  Click image for larger version

Name:	Acro2 London.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	523528  

Last edited by wolfbirder : Wednesday 26th November 2014 at 19:15.
Old Thursday 27th November 2014, 18:40   #24
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbirder View Post
See attached

As per prev post, first picture shows Reed upper with oval nostril, marsh lower with round nostril

Second picture is best image I can blow up of subject bird, it looks (to me) to have an oval nostril but better photos may help here................

BRW also have oval shaped nostril BTW.
The nostril feature (of which I was blissfully unaware of) is IMO also supportive of RW, as are the toes/soles and leg colour.

I went for it again today, found it in the sunshine for a few minutes, where I got this single shot before losing it, n'er to be refound! The raised primary tip appears to be almost contrastingly pale?...clearly need better shots.

Having trawled various papers on East/West scirpaceous, and acknowledged the biometric and tonal overlaps, as you would with any other similar unstreaked migrant, I'm still of the opinion that this bird doesn't tick the Western RW box?

I'm surprised that so far, no ''expert'' has deigned to comment?

I'd have thought that 2000+ views, plus opinions posted, would have warranted a response from any ''agent/s'' representing any publication, that may have carried an article on the subject matter. If only to express the current thinking on the taxa...just a courtesy imo for the BF readership, not to mention the possible mileage for those parties concerned?

PS I believe I read somewhere that the Dutch regard fuscus as a separate species...happy to be corrected if not?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A wing drying fuscus..jpg
Views:	169
Size:	568.8 KB
ID:	523640  
Old Thursday 27th November 2014, 18:45   #25
wolfbirder

Like you, I hoped Jane (Turner) would have given an opinion by now.
Its certainly a fascinating bird Ken.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: