Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Field guide for whole indonesia

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 7th November 2016, 20:57   #51
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2019

Book available now

The book is listed as available now, and the Lynx website offers a look at a number of pages: http://www.lynxeds.com/product/birds...an-archipelago

I suspect there will be no flight pictures at all? At least, the sample pages show none.
!

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 7th November 2016, 21:04   #52
Jim M.
Choose Civility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissboy View Post
The book is listed as available now, and the Lynx website offers a look at a number of pages: http://www.lynxeds.com/product/birds...an-archipelago
The book is listed as "hardback." Makes me wonder if I should wait until a lighter paperback is available? James E. or others know if there is likely to be a lighter version?

Last edited by Jim M. : Monday 7th November 2016 at 21:08.

BF Supporter 2013 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 7th November 2016, 22:00   #53
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim M. View Post
The book is listed as "hardback." Makes me wonder if I should wait until a lighter paperback is available? James E. or others know if there is likely to be a lighter version?
I agree that for practical purposes in the field, a softcover version would be preferable. But that would probably be the first time LYNX would issue two versions of the same book. So I suggest don't hold your breath on this issue. Maybe a second edition later on when all the libraries have got their hardbacks?
!

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 8th November 2016, 08:24   #54
andyadcock

The Wallacean guide is hardcover as well so no change there.

My supplier was expecting Lynx to despatch yesterday along with my long awaited HMW6!!!

A
Old Tuesday 8th November 2016, 11:24   #55
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2019

Got my copy already, incredible

Lynx have really outperformed themselves this time. My copy arrived this morning. So here are some first impressions for those who need to wait somewhat longer:
My suspicion that there might be no flight pictures has proved wrong. Some groups, like shorebirds have lots of them that are new. In addition, those that have already been in HBW are included, like for the Caprimulgidae.

This is a rather heavy book, and the hard cover adds to its bulk. Thus, excellent for libraries, less so for the field. I have attached three plates as illustrations to some points I want to raise. The scans did not turn out quite the way the actual plates look like, and my attempts to adjust them have had limited success. Anyway, here we go.

It strikes me that there are no plate numbers, neither do they have page numbers. So one has to go by the page number of the text page opposite the plates. Not an optimal solution, I think. There is only one size of range map, unlike the solution chosen for the Illustrated Checklist. Thus, some maps look rather empty, yet they all take up lots of space on the illustration page. As a result, some bird illustrations come as rather minute ones, like on the dove page illustrated. There are many more illustrations than what HBW already had in stock. As the shorebird scan shows, there are not only the already mentioned flight pictures, but there are also non-breeding plumages now. The whites are all too often greys instead, just like in the Illustrated Checklist. The tropicbirds scan illustrates this only in part. The whites come across too light here, compared to the plate in the book. Likewise, the yellow (fulvus) morph of the White-tailed Tropicbird is way too dark. Again, just like in the "Checklist". I would think such issues could be solved. A Great White Heron should not come across as a "Great Light-grey Heron".

The book measures 23.7 x 16.7 x 3.0 centimeters. (With soft cover it would be about 23.0 x 16.0 x 2.6 cm.) The weight is 1204 grams, thus it is a rather hefty tome. That comes as no surprise with the area and species number covered.

Over all, I am very pleased to finally have a book that covers all of "Indonesia" (in the sense of the archipelago, not as a political unit). And even without any immediate travel plans, it will be consulted quite a bit in the near future. :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Indonesia 55 Bild 21_cropred1200.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	604783  Click image for larger version

Name:	Indonesia 113 Bild 23_crop ret 01 red1200.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	604784  Click image for larger version

Name:	Indonesia 133 Bild 22_crop ret01red1200.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	604785  
!

Last edited by Swissboy : Tuesday 8th November 2016 at 11:42.

Old Tuesday 8th November 2016, 11:56   #56
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissboy View Post

There is only one size of range map, unlike the solution chosen for the Illustrated Checklist. Thus, some maps look rather empty, yet they all take up lots of space on the illustration page. As a result, some bird illustrations come as rather minute ones, like on the dove page illustrated.

The book measures 23.7 x 16.7 x 3.0 centimeters. (With soft cover it would be about 23.0 x 16.0 x 2.6 cm.) The weight is 1204 grams, thus it is a rather hefty tome. That comes as no surprise with the area and species number covered.
This was my observation some time ago about the organisation of the pages. Bigger illustrations with maps on the facing page would have been better IMHO and I really don't like the look of all the empty space on some of the pages but it is what it is and it's much better than we had!.

Covering such a large, bird rich area and in the intended, desired and much needed detail was never going to make for a lightweight book. Perhaps there's a market here for e.g a standalone Sulawesi guide and other traditional groups the same as they did with e.g North American Sibleys? Could they, would they, think about a dedicated Java and / or Sumatra volume using this work as the base? I'm sure people would like the chance to buy regionally more precise works to avoid carrying the whole thing, not many will do a trip starting in Sumatra and including Sulawesi?

Looking forward to getting mine, hopefully soon!

Andy

Last edited by andyadcock : Tuesday 8th November 2016 at 11:59.
Old Tuesday 8th November 2016, 12:16   #57
Jim M.
Choose Civility

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Covering such a large, bird rich area and in the intended, desired and much needed detail was never going to make for a lightweight book. Perhaps there's a market here for e.g a standalone Sulawesi guide and other traditional groups the same as they did with e.g North American Sibleys?
Was somewhat surprised they decided to cover Borneo, which already has more than one good field guide. Though excluding it would not have reduced the number of species much. Narrower regional guides would be nice, but considering how long it's taken to get any modern guide that covers many of these areas, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Last edited by Jim M. : Tuesday 8th November 2016 at 12:20.

Old Tuesday 8th November 2016, 13:07   #58
andyadcock

Quote:
Was somewhat surprised they decided to cover Borneo, which already has more than one good field guide. Though excluding it would not have reduced the number of species much. Narrower regional guides would be nice, but considering how long it's taken to get any modern guide that covers many of these areas, I wouldn't hold my breath.
The groundwork is done though surely, can it be a huge job to section the book up in to regions, I think it would be a popular decision?

Re Borneo, I suppose they had to include it as it was marketed as being the whole of Indonesia.

Andy
Old Tuesday 8th November 2016, 13:34   #59
Jim M.
Choose Civility

Quote:
The groundwork is done though surely, can it be a huge job to section the book up in to regions, I think it would be a popular decision?

Re Borneo, I suppose they had to include it as it was marketed as being the whole of Indonesia.

Andy
The same could be said for lots of regional guides that could be put out but never have been (e.g. for parts of Peru or Ecuador or India). Also, the regions you mentioned receive less bird tourism than many parts of the world--esp. from the western hemisphere because it's a long flight. So the demand is likely going to be relatively weak.

As for being the whole of Indonesia, it's not--the guide already expressly excludes the Indonesian half of New Guinea.

Old Tuesday 8th November 2016, 13:37   #60
andyadcock

Quote:

As for being the whole of Indonesia, it's not--the guide already expressly excludes the Indonesian half of New Guinea.
Possibly a strategic agreement to avoid a negative affect on the imminent guide for New Guinea by the same publisher?

Andy
Old Tuesday 8th November 2016, 19:05   #61
Jim M.
Choose Civility

Quote:
Possibly a strategic agreement to avoid a negative affect on the imminent guide for New Guinea by the same publisher?
I'd think it would have more to do with not wanting to add to the guide 100s of additional species from what is usually considered a different biogeographic region (Australasia).

Old Tuesday 8th November 2016, 19:23   #62
lewis20126

Quote:
I'd think it would have more to do with not wanting to add to the guide 100s of additional species from what is usually considered a different biogeographic region (Australasia).

cheers, alan
Old Tuesday 8th November 2016, 19:45   #63
Melanie

Is there any reason why Garrulax rufifrons is treated as monotypic? Why do they lumped the subspecies slatamatensis with the nominate race?
Old Wednesday 9th November 2016, 20:24   #64
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2019

An interesting detail that I noted positively: The lettering on the spine is from the top down as customary in English language books. For a while Lynx did it that way, but then changed, claiming they wanted to follow the way it is done in Spain. Thus the Peregrine book has the spine text such that it is upside down when the book is placed horizontally (and front cover up). I have never understood why Germans and some few keep doing it in such a dumb way. But it is particularly absurd to have some English books done in that way, as it impedes quick searches in a bookshelf. So seeing this Lynx book done the "right" way is a small positive sign. They have not adjusted their Lynx name, however. I can live with that.
!

Old Thursday 10th November 2016, 11:44   #65
Mark Harper
World Birder

Just had an initial delve into it and am really enjoying it. Some of the species names are going to take a little getting used to and with 20 species of Spangled Drongos plenty of armchair ticks to come if these get more widely adopted.
Old Friday 11th November 2016, 19:27   #66
lewis20126

I got my copy yesterday (direct from Lynx - surely the way to go) and it is magnificent.

One early point, given the number of splits (Drongos! White-eyes!), it is then surprising where the conservative position is adopted, the obvious example being the Red-bellied Pitta group. One for the second edition perhaps!

cheers, alan
Old Saturday 12th November 2016, 19:59   #67
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis20126 View Post
I got my copy yesterday (direct from Lynx - surely the way to go) and it is magnificent.

One early point, given the number of splits (Drongos! White-eyes!), it is then surprising where the conservative position is adopted, the obvious example being the Red-bellied Pitta group. One for the second edition perhaps!

cheers, alan
Good thing I don't care about species numbers. These things would drive me crazy!
!

Old Tuesday 15th November 2016, 15:57   #68
McMadd
You should see the other bloke...

Received my copy yesterday so only superficial view so far but a couple of things:

1. above all else...a grand step forwards and money well spent
2. agree re. the plates: while it's nice not to open a new field guide and immediately reach for the marker pen to "segregate" the species more clearly, there is an awful lot of space and these tired eyes would've liked slightly larger figures throughout.
3. what are those five boxes on the left hand side of the maps for? Is it mentioned in the...
4. too small text...My eyes! My eyes! It's me that's old I know but a challenging read without a bright light overhead...
5. for all field guides: bolding or colouring the species AND sub-species names to make them stand out better please
6. Siberian Bluetail??? Seriously??? One record in the region gets it a new name??? On yer bike! Not even the "parent" (HBW) uses this name...yet...

So glad have it. Hope to use it sooner not later. Some things that pop out as "if only" or "if I were king for a day" items but I recognise and applaud the efforts involved to produce anything of this nature so a big to all involved!

Cheers, Mark
Old Tuesday 15th November 2016, 17:51   #69
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMadd View Post
.............4. too small text...My eyes! My eyes! It's me that's old I know but a challenging read without a bright light overhead..............., Mark
It's a problem for me as well (I'm 74). And I have compared it with the text in the new "Peterson" FG for Northern Central America. I find reading that text so much easier, but why? My impression is that Lynx uses a font that is tall but very narrow. Thus, the whole text looks like a compact block that tends to confuse where one is actually when reading. The "Peterson" instead, provides a number of "landmarks" that help along. The bold-faced print of some key features is part of the solution. The short bold dividers in the Lynx text are, apparently, not doing the same.

Some of the problems in printed sources come from the fact that people who do the layout and other graphic work are doing it on enlarging screens. And their own eyes are still young, and they readily adapt the focus when some small illustration is held a bit closer.
!

Last edited by Swissboy : Tuesday 15th November 2016 at 17:58.

Old Wednesday 16th November 2016, 14:48   #70
McMadd
You should see the other bloke...

Good point Robert, how much control a writer has over "house style" would be interesting to know...not much I assume...
Old Wednesday 16th November 2016, 19:41   #71
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMadd View Post
Good point Robert, how much control a writer has over "house style" would be interesting to know...not much I assume...
In the case of the second edition of the North American Sibley Guide, it seemed that the author had a lot of control. At least it was him who admitted pretty soon that there were some issues that would be taken care of in a second printing. And sure enough, things were straightened out.

But that is not part of a series like in the Lynx books. Nevertheless, the Lynx book on the Peregrine Falcons of the World has a completely different font that is much more legible.
!

Old Thursday 17th November 2016, 08:04   #72
dalat

Got my copy as well. Beautiful book! Makes me want to go there immediately....

Beautiful and good drawings I think. Also the rangemaps look good, wish Robsons' SE Asia guide had such maps...

Of course you can still complain about things, but that's minor issues compared to the overall quality of the book.

The main thing I don't like too much is indeed the arrangement of the range maps. Putting the maps with the text would be more in line with what other guides do. The white space in the text pages could be reduced much and the size of the drawings could be increased (some are really too small). Probably this would increase the number of the pages, but it's too big for a pocket guide anyway...

And yes, what's the purpose of the 5 boxes with the maps?

Font size is ok for me... makes me feel young when I hear you others complaining about this

Some interesting renaming, e.g. first time I hear Shrike-babblers changed to Shrike-vireos... but I don't feel qualified enough to critisise this ...
Old Thursday 17th November 2016, 11:04   #73
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalat View Post
first time I hear Shrike-babblers changed to Shrike-vireos... but I don't feel qualified enough to critisise this ...

Shrike-Vireos are a new World family, Shrike-Babblers are now classed with Vireonidae but I see no reason for the name change really?

I suppose a scientific name change will follow as well if they're now deemed Vireos?

Andy

Last edited by andyadcock : Thursday 17th November 2016 at 11:11.
Old Thursday 17th November 2016, 22:33   #74
oleic

Got mine yesterday...im very happy
Old Friday 18th November 2016, 07:42   #75
andyadcock

Got mine too,
has the artwork been discussed somewhere?

The artwork is often the thing that holds up the production of a book and to say this title has happened quickly in relative terms is fair I think? Looking at the plates and the extensive list of credited artists, none of whom are named on the cover can I guess that existing artwork has been used for some species, one reason for the speed of production? Apologies if this is known or has already been discuseed.

This book will be the standard for many years to come I'm sure, at least until the second edition, I too struggle to read the font used as mentioned by a couple of people.

Many have mentioned the weight, I think it's fine, will easily go in a day bag.

Will Coates and Bishop lose it's value overnight I wonder?

Well done James

Andy

Last edited by andyadcock : Friday 18th November 2016 at 07:45.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: