• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A few from London....? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenM

The three images are from London, the first two were shot over the last week (and I do know the ID)...however I thought the relative flight postures would be of interest to the readership?

The 3rd bird has always troubled me!...shot in late September 2005 at Canary Wharf, (this was the ''only'' photo grab taken from a short film clip to show any features that might be described as useful?...unfortunately including an element of ''noise'').

To my eye it looks very much like a Hippolais Warbler, ''relatively'' long UTC's, and with a very long bill...don't think it's possible to ID, although I might be wrong?

Cheers

Attachments

• P1180625 (2) BOP 2..jpg
    P1180625 (2) BOP 2..jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 501
  • P1180761.jpeg In a flap 3..jpeg
    P1180761.jpeg In a flap 3..jpeg
    142.7 KB · Views: 506
  • Mystery Hippo.jpg
    Mystery Hippo.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 457
Terrible photos! Like every other cam-toting birder without a DSLR & 3 years training!

But, I'd have a stab at:

1 2 Red Kites, which look like Hen Harriers...
2 Jay-Type-Hoopoe Bird. Probably a "Jay-Type-Jay-Bird-Thing."
3 Melody Thing. Huge nose. Small PP. Probably a "Bird-Thing..."

But, then, what do I know?! 3:)

Last edited:
Terrible photos! Like every other cam-toting birder without a DSLR & 3 years training!

But, I'd have a stab at:

1 2 Red Kites, which look like Hen Harriers...
2 Jay-Type-Hoopoe Bird. Probably a "Jay-Type-Jay-Bird-Thing."
3 Melody Thing. Huge nose. Small PP. Probably a "Bird-Thing..."

But, then, what do I know?! 3:)

You can say that again;)

Must decline my services for no one and three. Number two is a Hawfinch, quite a common bird in greater London.

Peter

Hawfinch: decidedly rare in London, actually. I suppose it depends a bit on one's definition of 'London', they might be a bit easier to come across on the fringes of Greater London.

Buzzard too must still be distinctly rare in the centre of London, and hard to find on the edges.

Well done Phil/KGS for having a ''stab!'' (no fear of getting it wrong there, to be applauded :clap:). All images were from film clips, with the first two circa 300m+ away, and in less than perfect light...hence the lack of resolution.

It was whilst going through the film clips 25fps that produced the first two images (which may well have been missed on a ''single-shot'' basis).

I believe both shots would have been nigh on impossible to ''register'' with the human eye...without freeze framing and as such, appeared to show Kite type Hoopoe-esque images.

Hawfinches certainly in my ''neck of the woods'' are scarce...even though the habitat appears to be optimum.

I believe that the Hawfinches irregularly occuring in the vicinity are of Continental origin, and came in on the prevailing Easterlies during late Sep/Oct.

Here are a few more ''terrible'' images of Hawfinch.....hope they are instructive (I certainly found them so), note how ''broad'' the wings are when spread, these are needed for almost rapid vertical lift, not unlike game birds when flushed! FWIW Phil, the last image although not topic related, helps to show the ''limitations of a Bridge camera''....you know what you can do with your DSLR + multiple zoom lenses. :-O

Cheers

Attachments

• P1180809.jpeg In a flap 12..jpeg
    P1180809.jpeg In a flap 12..jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 239
  • P1180787.jpeg In a flap 5..jpeg
    P1180787.jpeg In a flap 5..jpeg
    153.7 KB · Views: 254
  • P1180762.jpeg In a flap 4..jpeg
    P1180762.jpeg In a flap 4..jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 178
  • P1180795.jpeg In a flap 7..jpeg
    P1180795.jpeg In a flap 7..jpeg
    127.2 KB · Views: 214
  • P1170223 (2) A Yapple 2..jpg
    P1170223 (2) A Yapple 2..jpg
    635 KB · Views: 246
Ken,

I've got a bridge. You should see some of mine! :-O

Just goes to show? What can you trust when viewing a similar image? And IDs are based on them! :cat:

I didn't, personally, get one of them right from these images. All 3 shocked me, when I found out what they were! :eek!:

Keep posting this stuff, it's frightening! :t:

Last edited:
Well done Phil/KGS for having a ''stab!'' (no fear of getting it wrong there, to be applauded :clap:). All images were from film clips, with the first two circa 300m+ away, and in less than perfect light...hence the lack of resolution.

It was whilst going through the film clips 25fps that produced the first two images (which may well have been missed on a ''single-shot'' basis).

I believe both shots would have been nigh on impossible to ''register'' with the human eye...without freeze framing and as such, appeared to show Kite type Hoopoe-esque images.

Hawfinches certainly in my ''neck of the woods'' are scarce...even though the habitat appears to be optimum.

I believe that the Hawfinches irregularly occuring in the vicinity are of Continental origin, and came in on the prevailing Easterlies during late Sep/Oct.

Here are a few more ''terrible'' images of Hawfinch.....hope they are instructive (I certainly found them so), note how ''broad'' the wings are when spread, these are needed for almost rapid vertical lift, not unlike game birds when flushed! FWIW Phil, the last image although not topic related, helps to show the ''limitations of a Bridge camera''....you know what you can do with your DSLR + multiple zoom lenses. :-O

Cheers

Both Buzzard and Hawfinch were identified correctly from the 'terrible' images.

The crucial matter is if it's considered appropriate to present photos of safely identified birds as if they weren't.
I haven't been here long enough to know what the general consent would be.......

Peter

Last edited:
The crucial matter is if it's considered appropriate to present photos of safely identified birds as if they weren't.
I haven't been here long enough to know what the general consent would be.......
Properly according to the rules, they should be in the Quiz section in Ruffled Feathers, but I doubt that many people care much (o)<

Both Buzzard and Hawfinch were identified correctly from the 'terrible' images.

I haven't been here long enough to know what the general consent would be......
Peter

I stated quite clearly that the ID was known, and did not allude otherwise.

If Phil Barber's last post was a "consensual" comment, or comparable to a large minority of the readerships opinion regarding the images, then I believe "more" people had something to gain from the thread...than not?

I believe the Hawfinch/CB shots were quite educational?.....I don't see them (Hawfinches) annually, and rarely am I in a position to image them whilst in flight.

One might say that within the Q&A forum...an "answer" was supplied to a question that wasn't asked?

Perhaps you should call a "show of hands" for those in favour or those against......

I stated quite clearly that the ID was known, and did not allude otherwise.

If Phil Barber's last post was a "consensual" comment, or comparable to a large minority of the readerships opinion regarding the images, then I believe "more" people had something to gain from the thread...than not?

I believe the Hawfinch/CB shots were quite educational?.....I don't see them (Hawfinches) annually, and rarely am I in a position to image them whilst in flight.

One might say that within the Q&A forum...an "answer" was supplied to a question that wasn't asked?

Perhaps you should call a "show of hands" for those in favour or those against......

Perhaps putting this (and similar) in the Quiz section:

http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=349

Would be more appropriate like the long-running gull ID thread in there. Then it doesnt mislead the reader. Personally I dont think these add anything to identification as you are selecting some of the most ambiguous stills from your videos in-order to induce confusion. Buzzards and crows dont look like Red Kites and Hen Harriers and neither do Jays look like Hawfinches - it is the terrible quality of the images that introduce this aberrant line of thinking and Im not sure how anyone benefits from this. However I can see the fun in the game but then the ID forum isnt the appropriate place IMHO.

cheers

Well that explains why I subconsciously did perceive the OP as a kind of puzzle.
I simply overlooked the that the ID was known. Sorry and no offence!

For my sake bring forth all the puzzles you want. Preferably with prizes to wino:)

Said the geezer who eagerly participated in British Bird's "Monthly Marathon" for several decades until it sadly ended several years ago:C

Peter

For my sake bring forth all the puzzles you want. Preferably with prizes to wino:)

Said the geezer who eagerly participated in British Bird's "Monthly Marathon" for several decades until it sadly ended several years ago:C

Peter

Agree with Peter on both counts! ..... especially re the BB monthly marathon. I hope it will be reintroduced.

Mick

Perhaps putting this (and similar) in the Quiz section:

http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=349

Would be more appropriate like the long-running gull ID thread in there. Then it doesnt mislead the reader. Personally I dont think these add anything to identification as you are selecting some of the most ambiguous stills from your videos in-order to induce confusion. Buzzards and crows dont look like Red Kites and Hen Harriers and neither do Jays look like Hawfinches - it is the terrible quality of the images that introduce this aberrant line of thinking and Im not sure how anyone benefits from this. However I can see the fun in the game but then the ID forum isnt the appropriate place IMHO.

cheers

I take exception to the accusation that I used "ambiguous" stills to promote confusion...when they were used to show "that" which would "not be seen" when using bins/scope.

Upon looking at the said images I too marvelled at their respective wing geometry to the point of relative amazement... and thought it would represent added value to the 3rd image.

The thrust of the thread was to share and convey these images albeit with poor resolution...which matters not a jot, as both images were ID'd correctly. I would have struggled with the 1st image, particularly without having seen the other stills..once more showing the extreme variability of in-flight BOP's.

Hi Ken, I like all the photos, especially the latter ones of the hawfinch with distinctive wing bar on show, the Green woodpecker is great love the apples on the apple tree alongside also on show that would make a nice Painting.

Why not just put this kind of thread in the quiz forum? All would be happy then, leaving the identification forum for genuine id requests.

Clearly in the wrong forum - maybe mods could move this thread?

That would prevent folk clicking unnecessarily

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back