Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Mallorca 2016

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Friday 1st January 2016, 00:14   #1
Mike Montier

Mallorca 2016

Happy New Year to all readers and contributors to this thread. May 2016 bring you good health and lots of great birding. I look forward to meeting up with many of you again later in the year. Mike
Old Friday 1st January 2016, 16:10   #2
hughm

Happy new year, Mike- hope all goes well for you on the health issue- I am looking forward to being at the (Fergus Style) Pollensa Park Hotel from 26th March for a fortnight, and it's great that the La Gola centre is re-opening and there is a new toy to try out at Albufereta- it should make seeing what is there much easier, although I shall still wander along to the mound for the ambience and the serenading Corn Buntings and FTWarblers. Hugh- in a cold at last Northampton.
Old Friday 1st January 2016, 22:03   #3
kevinh

Happy new year to all users of this thread.
Old Saturday 2nd January 2016, 17:35   #4
Ben Nevis

Happy New Year to all,who visit and report from this brilliant Island.
Old Saturday 2nd January 2016, 18:13   #5
Mike Montier

A few Common Crane being seen today but no large groups yet. Hawfinch at Son Real, several Northern Gannet and a Woodcock reported. Mike
Old Saturday 2nd January 2016, 20:20   #6
CGK

Hi all

Can I request the whereabouts of the new tower at Albufereta ? Also does anyone know of a social media account that imparts Mallorca bird news ?

HNY

Chris
Old Saturday 2nd January 2016, 21:59   #7
honeym

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
Hi all
Can I request the whereabouts of the new tower at Albufereta ? Also does anyone know of a social media account that imparts Mallorca bird news ?
HNY
Chris
Hi Chris - I hope this works:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@39.85.../data=!3m1!1e3

On the above satellite image, the new tower platform is near the bottom left corner of the large oblong green field. See photo.

Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s'Albufereta tower platform.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	312.9 KB
ID:	569004  

Last edited by honeym : Saturday 2nd January 2016 at 22:01.
Old Sunday 3rd January 2016, 08:51   #8
Mike Montier

Thanks Martin. As you know, I am hopeless at maps and directions.
With regards to information about sightings, this thread probably covers most of the birds but the G.O.B. Site has a section "Forum Aus" which has photos as well as details but is in Spanish or Catalan. Many birders also post on Facebook but I only get a few of those. Mike
Old Sunday 3rd January 2016, 10:05   #9
CGK

Martin / Mike
Thanks for replies i know now where new tower is located and hopefully will watching some great birds from there this coming Spring.

Chris
Old Wednesday 6th January 2016, 10:20   #10
Mike Montier

A bit more information on the Hawfinch at Son Real: it was seen on the Blue walk number four from the first hide you come to. It was seen to the left hand side and some brilliant photos were taken. I am going Saturday as it's a bird I have yet to see in Mallorca. Also the sylvia warblers will start showing well soon, many birders understandably come here in May but as most have found out, they are more elusive at that time. Mike
Old Wednesday 6th January 2016, 10:27   #11
Mike Montier

Just re-read my post and I was referring to Balearic and Dartford warblers. Moltoni's warblers can be seen well from the reservoir at Cuber going to and from the nest. The young can usually be seen well too later in the year, often around the dam. Sub-alpine warblers pass through in good numbers in the spring. Sardinian warblers are abundant and Blackcaps are resident. Mike
Old Wednesday 6th January 2016, 14:42   #12
Mike Montier

I have never seen the salt pans with no birds until this morning, absolutely nothing but it was very windy. Nearby at Colonia Sant Jordi there was one lonely Flamingo, several Redshank, Greenshank, Common sandpiper, a few Black winged stilts and a Marsh harrier. Mike
Old Wednesday 6th January 2016, 15:56   #13
Mike Montier

I also saw five distant waders which looked very much like Knot but these are very rare here and only seen as migrants. I saw five here last autumn. Today's birds were obviously in winter plumage. They were the correct size (when compared to the nearby Redshank) with short bills and right shape. I still have no telescope as it is broken but the views were good if distant. I just can't think what else they could have been. Mike
Old Wednesday 6th January 2016, 16:07   #14
Mike Montier

An injured Common crane is at the back of Salobrar de Campos in the area known as Sa Barrala. Hopefully it will be taken into care. Mike
Old Wednesday 6th January 2016, 23:01   #15
Mike Montier

Three Scop's Owls calling tonight at a friend's house in s'Alqueria Blanca in the south and a Long-eared owl flew past. All I needed was our regular Barn owl on the way home to complete the set but no such luck. Mike
Old Thursday 7th January 2016, 11:30   #16
Mike Montier

Results are in for the "Bigyear". Maties was the very worthy winner, top man, but I was a miserable ninth. I guess being out of action in both the spring and autumn didn't help but I am going flat out to do better this year. Already seen some great birds with many more to come I hope. Mike
Old Friday 8th January 2016, 18:00   #17
Mike Montier

Woodcock seen tonight just after six o'clock near Porto Petro. They are not too difficult in Mallorca but a lovely bird to see at dusk flying over the tree tops. Mike
Old Saturday 9th January 2016, 16:06   #18
Mike Montier

A fabulous day today. I opted to go to Son Real but quickly received news that some great birds were being seen from the coast including three Razorbills, many Gannet and a Great skua.
However, I was rewarded with stunning views of Hawfinch at Son Real. After eight years of trying it was a sweet moment. Mike

Last edited by Mike Montier : Wednesday 1st August 2018 at 19:23.
Old Saturday 9th January 2016, 16:53   #19
kevinh

Well done with the Hawfinch Mike. I'm back out on the 25th, so hopefully they'll still be around. Where exactly did you see them ?
Old Saturday 9th January 2016, 17:47   #20
Mike Montier

Hi Kevin
On the Blue Walk number four. The first hide you come to on the right. There is a drinking pool which I never knew existed. Birds come to drink all day long, Crossbills, many Siskin and I also had good views of a female Bullfinch but sadly no photos. I haven't mentioned it to anyone because without a photo it cannot be accepted. They are sometimes seen but have been treated as escapees. Let me know when you are next over and we may be able to meet there. It's a great place to photograph birds from the hide. Mike.
Old Saturday 9th January 2016, 17:47   #21
Mike Montier

Also a very unseasonal Squacco heron seen today. It has been a very warm autumn and winter so far. Mike
Old Saturday 9th January 2016, 18:44   #22
kevinh

Thanks Mike, I have been to Son Real many times and have never come across a hide. Sounds very promising. I will contact you when I arrive to see if we can meet.
Old Saturday 9th January 2016, 19:55   #23
honeym

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinh View Post
Thanks Mike, I have been to Son Real many times and have never come across a hide. Sounds very promising. I will contact you when I arrive to see if we can meet.
Neither have I! Amazing what one can miss - I must go back and check!!
Martin
Old Saturday 9th January 2016, 23:38   #24
Mike Montier

There is a sign to the right of the walk with a pair of binoculars painted on which shows which track to take. It's an amazing place, just another one of Mallorca's hidden gems. Mike
Old Sunday 10th January 2016, 13:31   #25
Mike Montier

I went to Porto Colom this morning briefly but it was very windy. I feel sure that regular sea watching would pay dividends as there must be some good birds out there. Punta de n'Amer on the east coast is a very good place indeed and is seriously under watched. The passage of Shearwaters can be amazing with thousands of Scopoli's and Balearics going by. Mike
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: