• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kite Lynx vs Maven B3 vs Nikon M7 8x30 (1 Viewer)

Sadge

I'm shopping for a 30/32, and can't get by all of the good reviews of these models. Apparently, they all use the same platform and are made by Kamakura. I know the Maven is built in Japan; what about the other two?

What I'm really trying to understand is the differences in the optics between these three. From what I can tell, the sweet spot of the Lynx is considerably larger than that of the Nikon? I actually tried an M7 42mm some years ago, and found that I preferred the view of my Vanguard Endeavor, so I'm a little biased against the Nikon already (perhaps unfairly.)

Can anyone with experience of 2 or 3 of these models compare and contrast them...particulary the optics?

Thanks.

I can't say anything about the Maven or the Lynx but from my experience the M7 8x42 is a completely different binocular to the 8x30 so don't let that put you off. The 8x42's I had were dreadful, really small sweet spot and hopelessly unsharp. My 8x30 are razor sharp with none of the fuzzy edge problem of the 8x42.

Sadge, post 1,
All three binoculars, the Kite Lynx 8x30, the Nikon 8x30 and the Maven B3 8x30 are made by Kamakura and, as far as I can judge from the shape of the binoculars, they all have the same housing, but the optical specifications may differ a bit depending on the demands of Kite, Nikon and Maven. I only investigated the Kite Lynxes and I found them very good for their price; light, compact, waterproof, excellent handling comfort, good optics in this price range.
Gijs van Ginkel

Sadge, post 1,
All three binoculars, the Kite Lynx 8x30, the Nikon 8x30 and the Maven B3 8x30 are made by Kamakura and, as far as I can judge from the shape of the binoculars, they all have the same housing, but the optical specifications may differ a bit depending on the demands of Kite, Nikon and Maven. I only investigated the Kite Lynxes and I found them very good for their price; light, compact, waterproof, excellent handling comfort, good optics in this price range.
Gijs van Ginkel

Gijs, as far as you know, just what input do these bino. manufacturers have when shipping off a design to Kamakura? Do they actually design the optical system or do they just dictate size, shape, weight and other non-optical specs?

We know that Kamakura puts these things together but do they do more than that? Like the Conquest HD - did Zeiss design the optics and Kamakura put the parts together? Sorry for the derail.....

Mulligatawny, thanks for that info. I remember at the time being really surprised that the M7 42mm seemed worse than the Vanguard. Good to know that the 30mm is much better.

Gijs, that's good to hear, as I'm leaning towards the Lynx, based on the reviews I could find.

Last edited:
I'm shopping for a 30/32, and can't get by all of the good reviews of these models. Apparently, they all use the same platform and are made by Kamakura. I know the Maven is built in Japan; what about the other two?

What I'm really trying to understand is the differences in the optics between these three. From what I can tell, the sweet spot of the Lynx is considerably larger than that of the Nikon? I actually tried an M7 42mm some years ago, and found that I preferred the view of my Vanguard Endeavor, so I'm a little biased against the Nikon already (perhaps unfairly.)

Can anyone with experience of 2 or 3 of these models compare and contrast them...particulary the optics?

Thanks.
I tried the Nikon 8x30 M7 and the Maven B3 8x30. I personally didn't care for either. Optically they seemed very similar. My problem was I found eye placement difficult and I experienced a lot of glare. It is weird that there would be that much difference in glare and eye placement between a 32mm and a 30mm because the exit pupil is not that much different. But even my SV 8x32's are way better at glare and eye placement than the M7's even though the SV's are not the very best at glare. When I compared the M7's and Maven's to the Zeiss 8x32 Conquest HD the Zeiss absolutely killed them especially at glare control. But the Nikon M7 is only a $300 binocular so you can't expect it to compete with the Zeiss which is at least $700 much less the $2K SV. I understand why everybody wants to buy the Nikon M7 because of it's small compact size and cheap price but you really pay a price in comfort and glare in my opinion. I think a good mid-range roof with HD glass in a 32mm is a better all around choice. I found the M7 very bright for it's size but just very finicky to use. It was almost like moving from a 42mm down to a 32mm. For some reason a BIG drop in usability. Maybe there is a threshold exit pupil size where eye placement and comfort really start to drop. The thing is I was comparing the M7 to the SV and a Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 and that is not really fair. Either one is going to outclass the baby Nikon. I also found the Swarovski 8x30 CL to be superior to the M7 also. Again we are talking twice the price. The M7 might be all right for a glove box binocular where you don't use it for long but I wouldn't want to use it on an all day birding trip. I get the feeling on Bird Forum that when somebody asks for an opinion on a certain type of binocular they have already decided that is what they want and all they REALLY want is validation that it is the best choice. When somebody disagrees it makes them angry plus everybody that has the M7 comes out of the woodwork to defend their chosen binocular. Also, remember that price is a primary motivation for many recommendations on Bird Forum and some people will recommend an M7 without ever having tried a Zeiss Conquest 8x32 HD . Ask yourself have these people who are recommending the M7 ever tried an alpha roof prism binocular? Do they have something to compare it with? Have you ever noticed on Amazon.com that some of the cheapest, worst binoculars get 5 star reviews. Now ask your self why. It is because these people have never TRIED anything better. They have never even looked through a Zeiss SF or Swarovski SV much less used one. So be cautious about recommendations. Well this is my opinion of the M7. You can heed my advice or not. But I have had a LOT of binoculars at ALL price levels so at least think about what I said. If you have already decided you want one of these three I would say get the Nikon M7 because in my opinion they are pretty much the same and if you watch Ebay you can buy the M7 for less than $300 which is cheaper than the other two. Here is an M7 for $317 with free shipping. I have seen them for as low as $250.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Nikon-M...252012?hash=item1a0c399cec:g:WckAAOSwwE5Wbk5z

Here is an example of why you shouldn't trust reviews from people who haven't tried any better!

http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Perm...455671552&sr=8-3&keywords=bushnell+permafocus

Last edited:
Sadge, post 8,
Since you are from Oregon, I do not know whether the Kite Lynx can be bought in the US, but the Nikon and Mavens are certainly available there. In The Netherlands and Belgium the service level of Nikon is a real disaster, but that may be bettter in the US. From what I read on BF about Maven it sounds allright. In Europe Kite has an excellent service level in fact comparable with Swarovski.
James, post 4,
I can not really answer your question, since I have to rely on what persons who have some knowledge about it have told me. For the Zeiss Conquests the picture seems clear: they are made in every detail by Kamakura and it seems reasonable to think, that Zeiss has supplied detailed construction plans to make the binoculars.
What I have read from Maven: the demands are formulated by Maven and Kamakura makes the Mavens in accordance with these demands and I suppose that something similar occurs with the Kite Lynxes and the Nikons.
Gijs van Ginkel

Gijs, the Lynx is in fact available from Eagle Optics here in the US, but I don't know how difficult it would be to get product support for a Belgium-based company here.

Kite binoculars are available from Eagle Optics the last time I looked and the Lynxes were priced competitively with the Mavens (much less than their price "across the pond").

I have owned both the Nikons and the Mavens. They are more alike than not optically and physically. I thought the Mavens were better constructed overall and the eyecups suited my face a bit better than the Nikons though I would be happy to own the Nikons as well. Here are a couple of pics from a year ago when I had both side by side.

17213241561_a4fa3c0fa3.jpg

16591369084_1964de885a.jpg

Kite binoculars are available from Eagle Optics the last time I looked and the Lynxes were priced competitively with the Mavens (much less than their price "across the pond").

I have owned both the Nikons and the Mavens. They are more alike than not optically and physically. I thought the Mavens were better constructed overall and the eyecups suited my face a bit better than the Nikons though I would be happy to own the Nikons as well. Here are a couple of pics from a year ago when I had both side by side.

17213241561_a4fa3c0fa3.jpg

16591369084_1964de885a.jpg
It is obvious they are the same binocular. Just different cosmetics. Buy the Nikon M7 it is less expensive. I have see them for as low as $250.

Sadge, post 10,
I am sure that Kite will have arranged the service very well, when they are sold in the US, because the Kite owners are very much aware of the importance of good service, but you could send them an e-mail and ask about it.
Gijs van Ginkel

Frank, I did read your review of the Mavens, which kind of made me lean that way, but if there's very little optical difference, perhaps then denco's right, and the Nikon is a better value. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Lynx had a significantly wider sweet spot than the Nikon. Can anyone confirm this?

Gijs, I think you're probably right about Kite's customer service.

On a related, but different topic, is the Maven B2 body the same Kamakura design as the Kite Bonelli 2.0?

Sadge, post 14,
I asked around and the service for the Kite's in the US is very well arranged by Eagle Optics, which has its own service center and also has access to other service centers in case the work becomes more complicated, so service of the Kites in the US is nothing to be worried about.
Gijs van Ginkel

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back