• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hertel & Reuss Binoculars? (1 Viewer)

slingworks

Does anyone know if the Hertel and Reuss binoculars are of good quality?

I spoke to a fellow at a show this weekend who had a pair of Panoctar 8x40 that he may be interested in selling. I have not seen these in person, other than a picture on his phone.

I looked online for information, however I found virtually nothing on this brand or model.

Appear to be a Zeiss style body and have a plastic rain guard/cover for the oculars..So I am guessing maybe 60s?

Is there any way to date these binoculars?
Are they up to the standards of Zeiss or other top brands from the era?

Hi,

Hertel & Reuss used to be an optics manufacturer based in Kassel, Germany until 1995 or so when it was taken over after a bankruptcy. After that the name was used as a trademark for rifle scopes and lately opera glasses.

They built good instruments without reaching the size and image of Carl Zeiss or Ernst Leitz (aka Leica). The Panoctar seems to have a quite nice field of view for an 8x40, unfortunately with the rather small sweet spot common for these early wide angle designs.

Here's a page in german on this model with some images and one shot through one barrel:

http://www.fernglasmuseum.at/museum/hertel_reuss_8x40/hertel_reuss_8mal40.html

If I was interested in one I'd try to get it at 60-100 euro max depending on condition - less if buying sight unseen.

Regards,

Joachim

Slingworks,
The optical instruments of Hertel & Reuss are of good quality, we have a few models and the quality is comparable with binoculars from Beck early Leica porros etc.
So if the price is attractive it is worthwile to consider buying one, but I agree with Joachim: do not buy it unseen.
Gijs van Ginkel

I got a Hertel and Reuss spotting scope very cheaply.
It has internal fungus that I have not yet cleaned off.

P.S.
Apologies in order.
Just checked.
My old memory was faulty.
It is a 15x to 60x 60 Schmidt and Bender. Biebertal Wetzlar.
10m to 50m to infinity.
large and small tripod fitting. Leather case.
Good quality scope.
Really sorry.

But old binoculars need to be checked for haze, fungus and alignment.

Last edited:
Here's a page in german on this model with some images and one shot through one barrel:

http://www.fernglasmuseum.at/museum/hertel_reuss_8x40/hertel_reuss_8mal40.html

Note that in the first two pictures there are small plugged holes in the body of the binocular. These are for collimation via prism adjustment using small screws in the binocular body. So this model did not utilize eccentric ring collimation.

If the binocular you're considering purchasing likewise collimates by screws in the body, check carefully for chipped prisms.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back