Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Bird Identification please

Old Saturday 2nd July 2016, 13:52   #1
DavidC

Bird Identification please

I recently did a cruise around Iceland and got notified of this bird on one of the balconies. It appeared to have been with us a while and was receiving regular hand outs of food. It moved from one balcony to another and carried on getting fed, seems as if the new people were putting out grapes and cheese.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9180-3.jpg
Views:	685
Size:	386.6 KB
ID:	590510  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9163-3.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	472.2 KB
ID:	590511  
Old Saturday 2nd July 2016, 15:28   #2
Sangahyando

Looks like some kind of New World Sparrow, in poor health.

edit: White-throated Sparrow, perhaps?

Last edited by Sangahyando : Saturday 2nd July 2016 at 15:31.
Old Saturday 2nd July 2016, 15:48   #3
JWN Andrewes
Poor Judge of Pasta.

Goodness. It looks like one of the Seaside Sparrows!
Old Saturday 2nd July 2016, 15:49   #4
Kratter

The only similar New World sparrow is Seaside Sparrow, which would be very unexpected (only a short distance migrant and restricted to coastal salt marshes north to Massachusetts). I was thinking that that it must be a Old World bird, but it really does look good for Seaside Sparrow, however unlikely.

Andy.
Old Saturday 2nd July 2016, 15:51   #5
Sangahyando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratter View Post
The only similar New World sparrow is Seaside Sparrow, which would be very unexpected (only a short distance migrant and restricted to coastal salt marshes north to Massachusetts). I was thinking that that it must be a Old World bird, but it really does look good for Seaside Sparrow, however unlikely.

Andy.
Well, Iceland is quite a bit closer to North America than the rest of Europe. Maybe they picked it up somewhere west of the island, or maybe there was a stop in America involved?
FWIW, it doesn't look like any European bird I can think of.

Last edited by Sangahyando : Saturday 2nd July 2016 at 15:53.
Old Saturday 2nd July 2016, 16:11   #6
DavidC

Thanks for the replies. I am not sure how long it was on the ship, the ship had been America but about a month before so unlikely it was on for that long.The maids noticed it when the ship was off Norway before we got on. It didn't seem to be like a usual passenger that flies from balcony to balcony, this one just hopped underneath the partitions. I think it would of had a few birders out if it had got off in Newcastle where we docked.
Old Saturday 2nd July 2016, 16:13   #7
Bismarck Honeyeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
I recently did a cruise around Iceland and got notified of this bird on one of the balconies. It appeared to have been with us a while and was receiving regular hand outs of food. It moved from one balcony to another and carried on getting fed, seems as if the new people were putting out grapes and cheese.
Hi David,

This would be the first Western Palearctic record of Seaside Sparrow. Could you please give any information as to where the boat originated, route, date bird first seen and whereabouts the boat was whilst the bird was being seen.

Many thanks

BH
@birdingprof
Old Saturday 2nd July 2016, 17:27   #8
Garden birder

[quote=Bismarck Honeyeater;3422248]Hi David,

This would be the first Western Palearctic record of Seaside Sparrow. Could you please give any information as to where the boat originated, route, date bird first seen and whereabouts the boat was whilst the bird was being seen.

Many thanks[/QUOTE

Feet look in poor condition. Possibly spent some time in captivity
Old Saturday 2nd July 2016, 17:55   #9
Bismarck Honeyeater

[quote=Garden birder;3422276]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck Honeyeater View Post
Hi David,

Many thanks[/QUOTE

Feet look in poor condition. Possibly spent some time in captivity
You should see my feet, and I've never been in captivity.

Seriously, it's just gunk, sand, food covering the feet. The likelihood of a captive Seaside Sparrow landing on a boat off Iceland must be much less than a genuinely wild bird getting on board in dock off the East coast of the US, I would have thought

BH
@birdingprof
Old Saturday 2nd July 2016, 18:03   #10
DavidC

It was aboard the Balmoral sailing from Newcastle on 31st May, before this the ship had done 2 cruises In Norway from the 21st May to the 31st, and before this it had done a USA cruise that was from the 16th April to the 21st May... But not sure which ports, trying to find out.
The bird did seem pretty tame or sick, you could get within 8ft to photograph, and the people said that it would hop in their door if the balcony door was left open. this could of been for warmth as it did get quite cold. The bird definitely had a two tone bill and a white chin that does not seem to come out well in photographs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9152-3.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	590546  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9174-3.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	590547  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9184-3.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	590548  

Last edited by DavidC : Saturday 2nd July 2016 at 18:30.
Old Saturday 2nd July 2016, 19:14   #11
Bismarck Honeyeater

Quote:
It was aboard the Balmoral sailing from Newcastle on 31st May, before this the ship had done 2 cruises In Norway from the 21st May to the 31st, and before this it had done a USA cruise that was from the 16th April to the 21st May... But not sure which ports, trying to find out.
The bird did seem pretty tame or sick, you could get within 8ft to photograph, and the people said that it would hop in their door if the balcony door was left open. this could of been for warmth as it did get quite cold. The bird definitely had a two tone bill and a white chin that does not seem to come out well in photographs.
Interesting, if it had joined in the US it stayed on board for a long time!

BH
@birdingprof
Old Sunday 3rd July 2016, 02:43   #12
Silverwolf

This sure looks like a seaside sparrow which is an interesting record. How did it end up on the boat, I wonder...I can't imagine this reclusive marshland bird flying specifically onto a ferry at the docks.
Old Sunday 3rd July 2016, 08:28   #13
P.Sunesen

[quote=Bismarck Honeyeater;3422299]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden birder View Post

You should see my feet, and I've never been in captivity.

Seriously, it's just gunk, sand, food covering the feet. The likelihood of a captive Seaside Sparrow landing on a boat off Iceland must be much less than a genuinely wild bird getting on board in dock off the East coast of the US, I would have thought
Agree that the bird has some debris sticking to the feet, but the longer than normal looking claws (albeit without knowing the species) and the way the toes seem to be unnaturally twisted (the bird's left foot in the middle photo in # 10) does suggest that a still moderately developed case of papilloma virus could perhaps be the reason.

http://birdsdk.blogspot.dk/2014/05/p...-bogfinke.html

Peter

Last edited by P.Sunesen : Sunday 3rd July 2016 at 08:32.
Old Sunday 3rd July 2016, 09:29   #14
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Quote:
.... from Newcastle on 31st May, ....
So it was likely here for a day or two . . . Ouch!!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: