Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

New Birding Bins

Old Sunday 6th May 2018, 22:11   #1
b3rd
Reg1stered User

New Birding Bins

So I have been asking on the forum a lot of questions about the Leica Noctivids, and I wanted to just let people know that I ended up buying a pair of Zeiss Victory SF 10x42 binoculars from my local birding shop, "One Good Tern."

The owner of this establishment had a wide selection of binoculars available, including a few SW and Zeiss alpha bins. I was able to try the Zeiss SF and EL 8x5x42. The view through the Zeiss was so impressive that I bought it on the spot.

For me, the image was just astounding with no hint of rollerball. Bright, comfortable, well-balanced, wide FOV, sharp, no CA, excellent focuser. Wow. This was compared to the EL, which had (to my eyes) extreme pincusion distortion evident when panning (rollerball). I also tried the 'lesser' Zeiss Conquest and it was no contest.

I am very much looking forward to birding with these new bins.

Thanks to everyone who was patient in answering my questions and providing all manners of information and opinion on here.

Last edited by b3rd : Sunday 6th May 2018 at 22:38. Reason: fixed zeiss model number

BF Supporter 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 6th May 2018, 22:37   #2
dries1
BF Supporter 2018

b3rd,

Great name for your local establishment, those who enjoy a bit of brandy can go down the the "Tern" and check out some glass. Enjoy the bin.

I thought you meant FL, changed after your edit.

Andy W.

Last edited by dries1 : Sunday 6th May 2018 at 23:42.

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 6th May 2018, 23:19   #3
black crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3rd View Post
So I have been asking on the forum a lot of questions about the Leica Noctivids, and I wanted to just let people know that I ended up buying a pair of Zeiss Victory SF 10x42 binoculars from my local birding shop, "One Good Tern."

The owner of this establishment had a wide selection of binoculars available, including a few SW and Zeiss alpha bins. I was able to try the Zeiss SF and EL 8x5x42. The view through the Zeiss was so impressive that I bought it on the spot.

For me, the image was just astounding with no hint of rollerball. Bright, comfortable, well-balanced, wide FOV, sharp, no CA, excellent focuser. Wow. This was compared to the EL, which had (to my eyes) extreme pincusion distortion evident when panning (rollerball). I also tried the 'lesser' Zeiss Conquest and it was no contest.

I am very much looking forward to birding with these new bins.

Thanks to everyone who was patient in answering my questions and providing all manners of information and opinion on here.
Great choice. I've looked through the SF a lot now and I know it's a beautiful binocular.

Last edited by black crow : Sunday 6th May 2018 at 23:22.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: