Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Absolute top 10x (under $3000)

Old Thursday 8th March 2018, 19:42   #51
black crow

I ran into my friend on the trail and we talked a little. She seems pretty set on 42mm. On her trip she said she used an old Eagle Optics 8x42 way more than her Kowa 8x32. She said the Kowa is an underperformer for her. I think she'll likely be on for that Zeiss Victory.
Old Thursday 8th March 2018, 23:16   #52
black crow

Anyone know where they have the Zeiss Victory 10x42 in stock? We checked at Sports Optics and they have been out since the first of the year. They will have them in a few weeks they think and gave a promo price of $2340.

I really don't know where else to look for them that has a good returns policy.

Last edited by black crow : Thursday 8th March 2018 at 23:20.
Old Friday 9th March 2018, 00:50   #53
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by black crow View Post
I ran into my friend on the trail and we talked a little. She seems pretty set on 42mm. On her trip she said she used an old Eagle Optics 8x42 way more than her Kowa 8x32. She said the Kowa is an underperformer for her. I think she'll likely be on for that Zeiss Victory.
If she's set on a 10X42....no reason to not look at a Swarovski SV 10X42. Probably 1.5 ounces difference in weight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2604.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	655802  

BF Supporter 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 9th March 2018, 00:58   #54
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2018

BTW...
For either, why not call Doug at Camerland NY and check on stock. I know with the Swarovski's....mine have always been drop shipped from Swarovski NA so they are as recent manufacture as possible. You might also check with Optic4Birding. I've bought stuff from both...no issues whatsoever.

BF Supporter 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 9th March 2018, 01:02   #55
black crow

OK thanks I'll look there. I found them at B&H Photo and Adorama also. We want to have them match or come close to the Sports Optics price.
Old Friday 9th March 2018, 01:02   #56
black crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill6x6 View Post
If she's set on a 10X42....no reason to not look at a Swarovski SV 10X42. Probably 1.5 ounces difference in weight.
True.
Old Friday 9th March 2018, 04:19   #57
SuperDuty

Thanks Bruce
It really is hard to go wrong with any of the best models from Swarovski, Zeiss, or Leica. It takes a good bit of time to try all of them thoroughly enough to pick a favorite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
SuperDuty ...... Welcome back! I have been wondering how the Zeiss SF has been working out for you long term so it is great to hear you still have and like it.

In general terms, I agree with the members posting that the 10X42 Zeiss SF is first class It is the one that works best for me. However when it comes down to individual preferences and usage, that can change so hopefully your friend will be able to check out several. The SF is great model to use as a benchmark for comparison to others. What makes it a standout to me is the wider FOV, the rearward balance and good handling of CA and stray light. Off hand, I can not think of any $1,000 and up model that is a reject, it just comes down to personal preferences and what works best for that person.
Old Friday 9th March 2018, 04:25   #58
black crow

Well I'll encourage her to take her time with a choice. Thanks for the reminder.
Old Friday 9th March 2018, 09:35   #59
Troubador

Bruce summed up the SF perfectly. The rearward balance that he mentions is real and you can feel it the moment you pick it up. Slide three fingers around the barrel just under the bridge and your first finger lands on the focus wheel. I saw a purchasing officer at a major nature reserve pick one up like this for the first time and his face broke into a puzzled but delighted smile because it felt so much lighter than expected. As Chuck points out it is only a little lighter than the Swaro EL SV but the balance makes all the difference.

Lee
Old Friday 9th March 2018, 11:05   #60
cocco

My personal favourite 10x list (from big to small):

-Zeiss HT 10x54 (superb esp. in dusk and dawn and sh... weather, nice handling for a long finger "hairy chest" older lad).
-Swaro 10x50 EL (one of the best binos I know, good handling and balance).
-Zeiss SF 10x42 (my general birding recommendation, very well balanced and superb optics, handles better for me than the 10x42 EL though I'm not too fond of open bridges in binos < 50mm but that's just my hands-and-brain after decades of BPA (Big Porro Abusus)).
-Trinovid HD 10x32 (Why that? Surely/probably optically not as good as an EL/FL/Ultravid, but focus down to 1m, so if I'm tired of birding I can easily observe the fleas on my knees ...)

Good times - Cocco
Old Friday 9th March 2018, 14:52   #61
black crow

I'd love to get a look through each of those. The only way that will happen is through my friend. The balls in her court. It could take her a year to decide. She's often like that and cannot make up her mind for what seems to me like an eternity. I on the other hand often act too quickly.
Old Friday 9th March 2018, 15:15   #62
[email protected]

If she can handle the bigger aperture try the Swarovski 10x50 SV. I think it is the best 10x I have tried outside of the Canon 10x42 IS-L.
Old Friday 9th March 2018, 15:18   #63
black crow

She claims she can hold steady as a rock at 70 years old. I'll let her know.
Old Friday 9th March 2018, 16:37   #64
Pileatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
If she can handle the bigger aperture try the Swarovski 10x50 SV. I think it is the best 10x I have tried outside of the Canon 10x42 IS-L.
There is absolutely no reason to buy the 10X50 SV over the Zeiss 10X42 SF (black version) unless you're out at night looking at the stars. I carefully compared the Zeiss 10X42 SF to my 10X50 SV to see if I'd prefer it during the day. Knowing I'd keep the SV for stargazing I took a pass on the SF. The 10X42 SF, however, is one fantastic binocular. The 10X50 SV is much heavier, has less eye relief and is, in my opinion, not the best 10X choice for most daylight birders...at least not after examining the SF.
Old Friday 9th March 2018, 16:46   #65
black crow

I better just link her to this thread and let her sort it out. lol.

For some reason my gut tells me the Zeiss is the right bino for her. She does no star gazing however she does have several small owls nesting in her backyard which is on our creek. It's got lots of amazing trees so it's often dark in there late in the day and early morn. She loves owls. However I think she would be fine with 42. She also has a spotting scope of about 80mm.
Old Friday 9th March 2018, 16:52   #66
Pileatus

Quote:
I better just link her to this thread and let her sort it out. lol.

For some reason my gut tells me the Zeiss is the right bino for her. She does no star gazing however she does have several small owls nesting in her backyard which is on our creek. It's got lots of amazing trees so it's often dark in there late in the day and early morn. She loves owls. However I think she would be fine with 42. She also has a spotting scope of about 80mm.
Use the scope on the owls!
Seriously, the Zeiss 10X42 SF is a lightweight compared to the 10X50 SV.
27 ounces versus 35 ounces is a BIG difference.
Old Friday 9th March 2018, 17:05   #67
black crow

Yeah that's a fairly serious weight increase. She's like 5' tall but she's fairly strong and an active runner at 70 years old. She can decide however. I told her yesterday I've given her almost too much info and I'm dropping it unless she has specific questions she wants me to try and answer.

I just hope she buys something fairly soon so I can look through it.
Old Friday 9th March 2018, 17:35   #68
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pileatus View Post
There is absolutely no reason to buy the 10X50 SV over the Zeiss 10X42 SF (black version) unless you're out at night looking at the stars. I carefully compared the Zeiss 10X42 SF to my 10X50 SV to see if I'd prefer it during the day. Knowing I'd keep the SV for stargazing I took a pass on the SF. The 10X42 SF, however, is one fantastic binocular. The 10X50 SV is much heavier, has less eye relief and is, in my opinion, not the best 10X choice for most daylight birders...at least not after examining the SF.
I will have to respectfully disagree with you, Pileatus. I compared the Swarovski 10x50 SV and the Zeiss 10x42 SF very carefully and let me say this. They are both superb binoculars but what I really preferred about the SV was that bigger exit pupil not so much for any brightness gain. The bigger SV just had easier eye placement and was more comfortable to use than the smaller Zeiss because of the bigger exit pupil. By the way the SV 10x50 is a superb instrument on the night sky even a little better than the like sized Fujinon.

Last edited by [email protected] : Friday 9th March 2018 at 21:55.
Old Friday 9th March 2018, 20:52   #69
Pileatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I will have to respectfully disagree with you, Pileatus. I compared the Swarovski 10x50 SV and the Zeiss 1042 SF very carefully and let me say this. They are both superb binoculars but what I really preferred about the SV was that bigger exit pupil not so much for any brightness gain. The bigger SV just had easier eye placement and was more comfortable to use than the smaller Zeiss because of the bigger exit pupil. By the way the SV 10x50 is a superb instrument on the night sky even a little better than the like sized Fujinon.
I own and use the 10X50 SV almost daily. I also have the 8.5X42 SV (similar size/shape/weight as the SF). The first time I picked up the 10X42 SF I was amazed. It's better balanced, has better eye relief, a wider FOV and is sharp as a tack across most of the field. The 10X42 SF is among the very best alphas available

I find the exit pupil difference to be meaningless. I have 4mm, 5mm, 5.25mm and 6mm exit pupil bins (all alphas) and none of them offer me an advantage to eye placement. Then again, I own and use them on a regular basis.
Old Friday 9th March 2018, 23:58   #70
black crow

Hey guys my friend was looking at Mavens and wondering if they compare with these other Alpha Binoculars? They come in at half the price and you know people with money always want the best deal they can get. I've heard some good things about the company and that they are alpha and are lower cost because you buy direct. I think they are made in Japan, right? Are they in the same ballpark with the alphas we've been talking about? They have an interesting demo deal where you order a demo at full price but they don't charge your card at the time, and then you can either keep it at a discount or send it back and buy new or just forget the whole deal.

Last edited by black crow : Saturday 10th March 2018 at 00:02.
Old Saturday 10th March 2018, 01:42   #71
tenex

Quote:
Hey guys my friend was looking at Mavens and wondering if they compare with these other Alpha Binoculars?
I had a bad experience with a Maven B3 (I think) 32mm, which I had to check out because others touted them as "alpha but cheaper". The optics were decent but mechanicals lousy: focus knob unpleasantly knurled metal, action so stiff I really had to fight it; hinge so loose that while doing that, I lost my IPD; mechanism so cheap that the diopter needed readjustment after focusing very far. I returned it promptly. The larger models might be better built, but I would recommend caution.
Old Saturday 10th March 2018, 01:54   #72
tenex

Quote:
Originally Posted by typo View Post
The bit about "a brighter in low light" is correct, but I'm sorry to say, I totally disagree with the parts about better detail, better colour detail, and seeing in the shadows. They are not deliverable by a bigger objective.

Happy for others to chime in but there is one principle you need to understand. It doesn't matter if you are using an 8x20, 8x32, 8x42, 8x50 8x58 and so on, on a bright when your pupil is stopped down, to 2mm, every single one will be an 8x16 as far as your retina is concerned. Consequently, providing there is no difference in coatings and optical quality or stray light, they would have the same brightness, same resolution and same colour rendition. If we are really very picky, the bigger binoclars will be slightly dimmer due to thicker glass.
While responding to this I decided I'm not enough of an optics expert myself. Would those who are please weigh in here? I read or hear the "advantages" I listed all the time, and this question matters. Where would people get these ideas, and why would they claim to have seen what's not true? Why do the overwhelming majority of birders lug at least 42mm if it buys them only an extra few minutes at twilight?

For what it's worth, my everyday bino for decades has been a 30-32mm, and I agree that in daylight it's all you really need. But I've found that people with larger glass can tell the color of a flying albatross's eye when I can't.

Last edited by tenex : Saturday 10th March 2018 at 17:31.
Old Saturday 10th March 2018, 02:05   #73
dries1
BF Supporter 2018

10x

Black Crow,

How about this model. Great views in the day or night, and less $ than the SV 10X50.

A.W.

Last edited by dries1 : Sunday 8th April 2018 at 21:57.

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 10th March 2018, 03:37   #74
black crow

Funny I just wrote to my friend earlier this evening that Leica binos had not been talked up much in this thread.

Last edited by black crow : Saturday 10th March 2018 at 03:39.
Old Saturday 10th March 2018, 05:59   #75
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pileatus View Post
I own and use the 10X50 SV almost daily. I also have the 8.5X42 SV (similar size/shape/weight as the SF). The first time I picked up the 10X42 SF I was amazed. It's better balanced, has better eye relief, a wider FOV and is sharp as a tack across most of the field. The 10X42 SF is among the very best alphas available

I find the exit pupil difference to be meaningless. I have 4mm, 5mm, 5.25mm and 6mm exit pupil bins (all alphas) and none of them offer me an advantage to eye placement. Then again, I own and use them on a regular basis.
'I find the exit pupil difference to be meaningless. I have 4mm, 5mm, 5.25mm and 6mm exit pupil bins (all alphas) and none of them offer me an advantage to eye placement."

Interesting. I have always found a 2mm difference in exit pupil to make a difference in ease of eye placement and viewing comfort.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: