Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

New Viper HD's

Old Thursday 22nd March 2018, 17:17   #1
SportOptics

New Viper HD's

Guys the new Vipers are out!!. These do have better glass and wider field of view.
Old Thursday 22nd March 2018, 18:25   #2
raptorbfl

Yea, but made in China now, right?
Old Thursday 22nd March 2018, 18:57   #3
SportOptics

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorbfl View Post
Yea, but made in China now, right?
Correct. I do want to say. Country of origin is often a good indicator of quality. I will also say there are some pretty decent optics that do come out of China. And some complete junk that comes out of the Philippines. It all comes down to how the optics are spec'd out and how the quality control is implemented. The previous Razor spotter was produced in China. I just did a review for Vortex on the new Viper Spotter that is also produced in China and was very pleased with the quality in the upgrade on those. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ1WlAB29B8. If the new binocular is as nice an upgrade as the spotter I think everyone will be very pleased with the new binocular.

Last edited by SportOptics : Thursday 22nd March 2018 at 19:15.
Old Thursday 22nd March 2018, 19:04   #4
BruceH
BF Supporter 2020

Thanks for posting! I am glad to see they have caught up with the times and now have a competitive FOV.

Per the Votex Website:

- 10X42 - 341 ft at 1,000 yards, was 319 ft.

- 8X42 - 409 ft at 1,000 yards, was 347 ft.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/category..._hd_binoculars

Intro video:

https://youtu.be/cPByuQgGkM0
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 22nd March 2018, 20:20   #5
Xlr8n

They didn't release any new 32mm's. That's too bad.

I'll be looking forward to some reviews and comparison between new and old Vipers.

Last edited by Xlr8n : Thursday 22nd March 2018 at 20:25.
Old Thursday 22nd March 2018, 22:27   #6
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2020

The specs look good! They are a nice looking binocular too. IMO $400-$500 is about right for a quality MIC binocular. Still bothers me a little that only a short time ago it was a MIJ product for the same price and touted as such.

BF Supporter 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 22nd March 2018, 23:00   #7
nacmancer

Looks like the Vipers go head on with the Monarch 7's now, in specs.

I hope the new Vipers HD's dont suffer from collimation problems like alot of Chinese binos do.
Old Thursday 22nd March 2018, 23:07   #8
jremmons
Wildlife Biologist

The new Vipers eyecups and focus knob look much cheaper, IMO. I loved the old ones but find the better FoV specifications quite intriguing.
Old Friday 23rd March 2018, 00:56   #9
NDhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportOptics View Post
Guys the new Vipers are out!! https://www.sportoptics.com/vortex-v...inoculars.aspx Let me know if you have any questions. Very happy to help you. These do have better glass and wider field of view.
Ben:

Are you a new sponsor on here ? If so welcome aboard. If not, then ?

Vortex to me has never been a consideration. There are many other better choices.

Vortex is big among hunters, but I know more about optics, and have been around longer than most.

And now, the made in China thing is a big turnoff.

Nobody has ever sold a China made binocular for more than $500.00.

Jerry
Old Friday 23rd March 2018, 01:08   #10
raptorbfl

I wonder how the Meopta Meopro HD 10 x 42 compares to this new Viper?? I dont think the Meopro is made in China, correct??
Old Friday 23rd March 2018, 03:37   #11
Xlr8n

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhunter View Post
Ben:

Vortex to me has never been a consideration. There are many other better
choices.

Vortex is big among hunters, but I know more about optics, and have been around longer than most.

Jerry
..."There are many other better choices".

Better choices for what, Jerry?

Are there brands that offer higher quality optics than Vortex best? of course. That's pretty much common knowledge, but Vortex optics covers popular market segments with very good glass in each of those segments.

You ever stop to ponder why hunters seem to support Vortex and why in turn, Vortex supports hunters?

- An average hunter's optics probably get subjected to just a bit more abuse in the field that the average birder and as such, over the past nearly fifteen years, Vortex has earned a reputation of being very durable in harsh hunting environments.

-Vortex warranty and customer service is second to none and just so happens to be located in the heartland of the U.S. which also happens to be in the middle of some of the best hunting ground in the U.S. You get zero hassles and extreme quick replacement so your rut-hunting vacation doesn't become a complete waste in the event of an optical failure or accidental breakage.

Fwiw, some of the Viper HD's have been made in China over the last year and some of their top-end Razor optics have been made in China from the get go.

Last edited by Xlr8n : Friday 23rd March 2018 at 04:41.
Old Friday 23rd March 2018, 04:17   #12
Xlr8n

I thought it might be worth mentioning, per an e-mail I received from Vortex just today, the switch to Chinese manufacture of the original Vipers was made by the Japanese company that made them. The Japanese company invested and built a new factory in China, but it's same optics company. Thus some of the previous HD Vipers were being made in both Japan and China near the end of the run as the transition took place. Same materials, same tooling, same designs, same specs. Quality should be near identical per Vortex.

That being said, I'm unsure if this latest version of Vipers just announced in this thread is from that same new factory as the previous, or if they sources a different optics manufacturer. I have that question in to them and will report back.
Old Friday 23rd March 2018, 11:20   #13
fguo79

Did they change chassis material from fiber glass to Magnesium alloy in the new Viper HD?
Old Friday 23rd March 2018, 12:44   #14
Xlr8n

Quote:
Originally Posted by fguo79 View Post
Did they change chassis material from fiber glass to Magnesium alloy in the new Viper HD?
They don't state chassis material in either the specs or the promotional video for the new version of the glass which would lead me to believe they are of the same composite material as before.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...0x42-binocular
Old Friday 23rd March 2018, 14:12   #15
WiscTJK

no x32's

No x32's per Vortex

Response on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPBy...re=em-comments

"Unfortunately for the 32-lovers (I'm included) there will not be. There is still a 32mm offered in the Diamondback line that is quite nice for the money though. Hope this helps! - Jimmy H [email protected]"

That's unfortunate. Original 6x32's are one of my favorite bino's.
Old Friday 23rd March 2018, 14:47   #16
SportOptics

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorbfl View Post
I wonder how the Meopta Meopro HD 10 x 42 compares to this new Viper?? I dont think the Meopro is made in China, correct??
The Meopro is now made in the Czech Republic.
Old Friday 23rd March 2018, 14:48   #17
SportOptics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlr8n View Post
They don't state chassis material in either the specs or the promotional video for the new version of the glass which would lead me to believe they are of the same composite material as before.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...0x42-binocular
The chassis is a composite material.
Old Friday 23rd March 2018, 15:13   #18
Xlr8n

Vortex reached out to me this a.m. and indicated that the new 2018 Viper HD's will be made by the same Japanese company as the previous versions, at their new Chinese factory.
Old Friday 23rd March 2018, 15:15   #19
Xlr8n

I'm hoping we'll see some real close-out prices on the previous Viper HD's as the new 2018's hit the market.
Old Friday 23rd March 2018, 15:33   #20
SportOptics

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhunter View Post
Ben:

Vortex to me has never been a consideration. There are many other better choices.

Jerry
Unfortunately not a sponsor. I have sent 3 emails to Bird forum over a couple of weeks with no response on becoming a sponsor or advertising.
Old Saturday 24th March 2018, 01:32   #21
nacmancer

Quote:
Vortex reached out to me this a.m. and indicated that the new 2018 Viper HD's will be made by the same Japanese company as the previous versions, at their new Chinese factory.
That's very good information to know.
Old Monday 26th March 2018, 00:43   #22
cycleguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill6x6 View Post
Still bothers me a little that only a short time ago it was a MIJ product for the same price and touted as such.
Ditto !!! I feel the same but the world is changing all too quickly and I am not. As I mentioned in another post, wasn't too long ago and an 8.5x42 Swaro EL could be had for $1350.

CG
Old Monday 26th March 2018, 01:21   #23
cycleguy

Quote:
-Vortex warranty and customer service is second to none and just so happens to be located in the heartland of the U.S. which also happens to be in the middle of some of the best hunting ground in the U.S. You get zero hassles and extreme quick replacement so your rut-hunting vacation doesn't become a complete waste in the event of an optical failure or accidental breakage.

F
Sorry but I've never been one to wave the Vortex flag. I tend to have issues with companies with reputations based on lifetime warranties which is nothing more than building a house of cards. It will come tumbling down sometime. This is just hearsay now but I am sitting back and waiting for the day to come when I get to say "I hate to say I told you so... but I told you so"! I would highly recommend that your decision to purchase Vortex optics be based on something other than warranty. For example, let's say my Vortex HD made in Japan 8x32 's just crapped out on me... what are they going to get replaced with??? Peanut gallery says "oh we have stock of these in our warehouse for just this purpose". I say " oh, so you have put one in stock for everyone you have sold for when the day comes to call upon a replacement"? Peanut gallery says " oh, we will replace with our latest and greatest version, you should be so Happy"! Sorry, I've been burned on lifetime warranties to often to buy into it anymore. Sorry again, can someone give me an example of a company that has been around for decades and is still honoring lifetime warranties with like for like product replacement??? I'm all ears.

Again, my Craftsman USA wrenches are being replaced with Craftsman China wrenches, and all the nearby Sears are being closed down. As I recall, Sears was the heartland of the USA. Now it isn't...

CG

P.S. FWIW - I am a hunter. My rifle scopes are Leupold (3), Sightron (2), Zeiss (1, and the best of the bunch and yes more money with the exception of the Leupold with illuminated reticle); Rangefinder Leica (1, the Bushnell was lost or stolen and is the forerunner that set the vertical design standard everyone is copying today); Spotting Scope Nikon (1); Binoculars Leica (1), Swarovski (1), Zeiss (1), Nikon (1), Maven (1), Bushnell (2).

Last edited by cycleguy : Monday 26th March 2018 at 01:46.
Old Monday 26th March 2018, 04:46   #24
Xlr8n

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy View Post
Sorry but I've never been one to wave the Vortex flag. I tend to have issues with companies with reputations based on lifetime warranties which is nothing more than building a house of cards. It will come down sometime. This is just hearsay now but I am sitting back and waiting for the day to come when I get to say "I hate to say I told you so... but I told you so"! I would highly recommend that your decision to purchase Vortex optics be based on something other than warranty. For example, let's say my Vortex HD made in Japan 8x32 's just crapped out on me... what are they going to get replaced with??? Peanut gallery says "oh we have stock of these in our warehouse for just this purpose". I say " oh, so you have put one in stock for everyone you have sold for when the day comes to call upon a replacement"? Peanut gallery says " oh, we will replace with our latest and greatest version, you should be so Happy"! Sorry, I've been burned on lifetime warranties to often to buy into it anymore. Sorry again, can someone give me an example of a company that has been around for decades and is still honoring lifetime warranties with like for like product replacement??? I'm all ears.

Again, my Craftsman USA wrenches are being replaced with Craftsman China wrenches, and all the nearby Sears are being closed down. As I recall, Sears was the heartland of the USA. Now it isn't...

CG

P.S. FWIW - I am a hunter. My rifle scopes are Leupold (3), Sightron (2), Zeiss (1, and the best of the bunch and yes more money with the exception of the Leupold with illuminated reticle); Rangefinder Leica (1, the Bushnell was lost or stolen and is the forerunner that set the vertical design standard everyone is copying today); Spotting Scope Nikon (1); Binoculars Leica (1), Swarovski (1), Zeiss (1), Nikon (1), Maven (1), Bushnell (2).

I don't feel that the Vortex reputation is built on it's warranty any more than it is built on offering quality glass for a competitive price. You don't get to carve out a market share the way Vortex has over the last 15 years by selling a poor product. You can spin that any way you'd like but a glass like Viper is a top selling glass year in and year out and the reviews and tests seem to back that claim.

Honestly the lifetime warranty is just icing on the cake. The price, ergonomics, reputation, and optical quality are more than enough for me to spend $400 on a set of Viper HD's even if there were only a 1 year warranty. The no questions asked lifetime warranty makes it a slam dunk.

Some folks may get bent on the decision of the Japanese optics company that Vortex contracts their product from to build a new factory in China, but as long as the same Japanese company is running said factory and maintains the same QA/QC, and that move allows them to stay in business for the long haul, I have no problem with that. Would I prefer them to stay Japanese based? Sure. But if relocating the factory is the difference of them staying in business, then that's they way it has to be.

I have many sets of glass by many manufacturers. I didn't buy my first Vortex product until this year. After shopping and pricing for glass in 6x32 that fit my needs, Vortex Vipers were my choice based on price, quality, reputation, and warranty. Nothing more, nothing less.
When I purchased a Viper HD 6x32 and looked at units made in both Japan and China and after a thorough testing of both, the biggest difference I could find between the two was the tiny sticker on the bottom.

Yes, Sears is gone. Times change and you have to change with them.

Thankfully there are still plenty of options around in quality optics, but bottom line is nobody is twisting your arm to buy Vortex. Nobody hunted you down for an opinion. You just happened to drop into a Vortex specific sub-forum to state how much you don't like them. O.k. then, You don't like them. Fair enough.

Last edited by Xlr8n : Monday 26th March 2018 at 04:53.
Old Monday 26th March 2018, 14:19   #25
jgraider

Looks like a new Vortex fanboy has arrived, and that's fine of course. However, don't piss down our legs and tell us it's raining. Vortex used to make many products in Japan, and recently moved everything to China except the Razor riflescopes. The latest Razor spotters I saw had "Made in china" right on the box, as do the Razor binocs. That is a huge turn off for me. Optics are the easy part....high quality build quality is another, and that's where Chinese glass suffers.

My Zen ED3 had great glass, mediocre build. After 3 years the rubber armor started loosening up, the eyecups wouldn't move, the focus wheel got more difficult to use, etc.

I agree with Jerry. There's always something better than Vortex for the same or less money, and often times the competition isn't made in China.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: