• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular Recommendations (1 Viewer)

aCuria

Hi, I am looking to purchase my first pair of bins, I was hoping for some reccomendations

1) I have had the unfortunate experience of having to use what I recall to be a rather poor 10x, and it was very difficult to hold it steady. For this reason I would prefer a pair that is easier to hand-hold and have been looking at 7-8x bins.

2) The use-case would be for travelling (eg: safari) and for general-use in the future.

3) I do wear glasses, so sufficient eye-relief would be necessary

4) As I do not usually travel alone (2 people), I am wondering if its better to spend more on a single bin, or purchase 2 different ones (I also usually carry photographic equipment...). If I get 2 bins, what magnifications / objective sizes would be optimal? (eg 8x32 + 8x42)

5) If you have only 1 bin, would it be a 32mm or 42mm one?

These are the models I have been looking at, what do you guys think? Should I add / remove any from the list?

8x42 Class Bins
  • Snypex D-ED 8x42 $478 (18.4mm, 393ft fov, diopter unknown)
  • Trac Toric 8x42 ED $654 (19mm, 377ft fov, diopter +-2)
  • Hawke frontier ED-X 8x42 $359 (18mm, 426ft fov, , diopter unknown)
  • 2018 Viper HD 8x42 $489 (18mm, 409ft fov, diopter +-3)
  • Maven C1 8x42 $325 (19.5mm, 341ft fov, diopter +-3)

8x30 / 8x32 Class Bins
  • Sightron Blue Sky S2 ($190, 420ft, 17.5mm ER)
  • Maven B3 in 6x30 ($500, 446 ft, 18.3mm ER) 5mm exit pupil
  • Opticron Traveller BGA ED 8x32 ($409, 429ft, 19mm ER)

"Pocket" Class Bins
  • Zeiss Victory 8X25 FL Pocket
  • Papilio II in 6.5x21 (Good as a stereo microscope)

Removed:
  • Hawke Sapphire 8x42 $439 ( The Hawke frontier ED-X is better, or at least as good. )

Probably Insufficient eye-relief
  • Nikon M7 8x30 ($376, 435ft, 15.1mm ER)
  • Kite Lynx 8x30 (15mm ER)
  • Maven B3 8x30 ($525, 430 ft, 15.1mm ER)

Last edited:
Can only help with the two Hawke models. Out of the two the new Frontier ED-X would be my choice, smaller and lighter with same field of view and close focus. When I tried them they were surprisingly good. Both have 19mm eye relief.

If only one pair I would have a 42mm just for the times when the extra light gathering was needed. If I were to get 2 pairs would probably get a 10x32 as well as a 7x42. Currently I just use my Leica 7x42 UVHD+ unless I'm looking at butterflies or other insects which require very close focus (close focus is pants on the Leicas!)

HTH

Nick

Can only help with the two Hawke models. Out of the two the new Frontier ED-X would be my choice, smaller and lighter with same field of view and close focus. When I tried them they were surprisingly good. Both have 19mm eye relief.

If only one pair I would have a 42mm just for the times when the extra light gathering was needed. If I were to get 2 pairs would probably get a 10x32 as well as a 7x42. Currently I just use my Leica 7x42 UVHD+ unless I'm looking at butterflies or other insects which require very close focus (close focus is pants on the Leicas!)

HTH

Nick

Thanks Nick! This has been helpful. The Ultravid 7x42 is out of budget unless I can find a second hand one. I have heard good things about those binoculars.

Hi,

first of all, welcome to birdforum!

Regarding your questions - unlike a spotting scope, which can be aimed at an animal and then be used by a whole group with only a bit of refocusing, a pair of binoculars takes some time to set up properly for a user (interpupilary distance, eyecups and diopter). Even for experienced users this takes 30 to 60s and would be a major turnoff if you actually want to pass around the bins.

Of course you could have one get the bins for a few hours who then searches interesting stuff and points it out to the partner with the camera...

Getting two different sizes is a good idea - I would be choosing two out of the following categories (that being said I usually take a very nice 10x42 Nikon SE porro and a Pentax 8x32 ED on vacations - ones as backup and loaner):

- pocket bins in 8x25 or so - you really should test them though - enough ER for glasses is hard to get with those. And they usually have a not very wide field. But they're light and compact. A special mention in this category would go to the Papilio II in 6.5x21 - it is an ok pair of pocket bins but a great stereo microscope for watching insects or plants close up.

- a pair of light 8x30 - those usually have a very wide field of 140/1000m or thereabouts and can be quite light and compact. Also there's fairly good deals to be had in this category - Sightron Blue Sky S2 or Nikon M7 8x30 or its Kamakura brothers like the Kite Lynx or the Maven B3 in the same size (did I forget one?). ER needs to be tested though - sometimes it works with glasses, sometimes no dice. An interesting option is the Maven B3 in 6x30 - trades some apparent field of view against a 5mm exit pupil and 18mm ER - in the same small package as the others.

- a pair of full size bins in either 8x42 or 7x42 (you ruled out 10x) - the former being readily available at all price points, the latter being fairly rare and usually quite dear.

Btw, the max diopter setting is usually not an issue unless the user has two very different prescriptions for his eyes and does NOT use glasses with the bins.

Joachim

Last edited:
Hi,

first of all, welcome to birdforum!

Regarding your questions - unlike a spotting scope, which can be aimed at an animal and then be used by a whole group with only a bit of refocusing, a pair of binoculars takes some time to set up properly for a user (interpupilary distance, eyecups and diopter). Even for experienced users this takes 30 to 60s and would be a major turnoff if you actually want to pass around the bins.

Of course you could have one get the bins for a few hours who then searches interesting stuff and points it out to the partner with the camera...

Getting two different sizes is a good idea - I would be choosing two out of the following categories (that being said I usually take a very nice 10x42 Nikon SE porro and a Pentax 8x32 ED on vacations - ones as backup and loaner):

- pocket bins in 8x25 or so - you really should test them though - enough ER for glasses is hard to get with those. And they usually have a not very wide field. But they're light and compact. A special mention in this category would go to the Papilio II in 6.5x21 - it is an ok pair of pocket bins but a great stereo microscope for watching insects or plants close up.

- a pair of light 8x30 - those usually have a very wide field of 140/1000m or thereabouts and can be quite light and compact. Also there's fairly good deals to be had in this category - Sightron Blue Sky S2 or Nikon M7 8x30 or its Kamakura brothers like the Kite Lynx or the Maven B3 in the same size (did I forget one?). ER needs to be tested though - sometimes it works with glasses, sometimes no dice. An interesting option is the Maven B3 in 6x30 - trades some apparent field of view against a 5mm exit pupil and 18mm ER - in the same small package as the others.

- a pair of full size bins in either 8x42 or 7x42 (you ruled out 10x) - the former being readily available at all price points, the latter being fairly rare and usually quite dear.

Btw, the max diopter setting is usually not an issue unless the user has two very different prescriptions for his eyes and does NOT use glasses with the bins.

Joachim

Thanks Joachim!
It does sound that the max diopter setting is not so important. It would be likely that I will only use it with glasses.

The Maven B3 in 6x30 does indeed look very interesting, I imagine it would be even easier to hand-hold.

I have the Sightron 8x32 and Bushnell Legend M 8x42. For hiking and decent light I prefer the size of the Sightrons. I tried the Maven 8x30 and there wasn't quite enough eye relief to use with glasses. I'd add the Opticron Traveller BGA ED 8x32 to your list. 429' FOV and 19mm of eye relief.

This thread is worth checking out too for more options. There are some fairly compact 8x42s.
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=350823

Thanks Joachim!
It does sound that the max diopter setting is not so important. It would be likely that I will only use it with glasses.

The Maven B3 in 6x30 does indeed look very interesting, I imagine it would be even easier to hand-hold.

Hi,

before dismissing the M7 8x30 et al. I would really try them in your case. 15 or 16mm of ER are fine for a lot of people with glasses - it really depends on the prescription and the frame then.

You might eve find the Nikons at a store in SGP to try.

Joachim

Hi,

before dismissing the M7 8x30 et al. I would really try them in your case. 15 or 16mm of ER are fine for a lot of people with glasses - it really depends on the prescription and the frame then.

You might eve find the Nikons at a store in SGP to try.

Joachim

It may be hard to track down one locally to try it out unfortunately, but I would certainly keep a lookout.

I have been reading some posts here and in historical threads and I believe the sightron has a 7.5 degree FOV. An alternative with the same specs is the Fujinon 8X32 KF. You will get more consistent samples with the Fujinon than the Sightron.

Andy W.

Based on (Nick-on's) recommendations of getting a 42mm if I were only to have one bino, I have been looking at the 42mm's first. If the cost gets too high (~1000 USD) I would prefer a used 7x42 ultravid so this rules out some of the higher end models

• Snypex D-ED 8x42 $478 (18.4mm, 393ft fov, 46.5° afov)
  • Hawke frontier ED-X 8x42 $359 (18mm, 426ft fov, 48.8° afov, diopter +-3)
  • 2018 Viper HD 8x42 $489 (18mm, 409ft fov, 47.6° afov, diopter +-3)

Rejected
  • Trac Toric 8x42 ED $654 (19mm, 377ft fov, diopter +-2) ( Gary58 says the Hawke ED-X is better)
  • Maven C1 8x42 $325 (19.5mm, 341ft fov, diopter +-3) (fov seems very low)
  • Maven B1 8x42($900, 18.6mm, 388ft fov, diopter +-3)
  • Maven B2 7x45($1000, 18mm, 388t fov, diopter +-2)
  • Maven B2 9x45($1050, 17.3mm, 377ft fov, diopter +-4)
  • Vortex 8x42 Razor HD($1000)

How would you pick between these 3 / Are there any other bins to look at?

Last edited:
Based on (Nick-on's) recommendations of getting a 42mm if I were only to have one bino, I have been looking at the 42mm's first. If the cost gets too high (~1000 USD) I would prefer a used 7x42 ultravid so this rules out some of the higher end models

• Snypex D-ED 8x42 $478 (18.4mm, 393ft fov, 46.5° afov)
  • Hawke frontier ED-X 8x42 $359 (18mm, 426ft fov, 48.8° afov, diopter +-3)
  • 2018 Viper HD 8x42 $489 (18mm, 409ft fov, 47.6° afov, diopter +-3)

Rejected
  • Trac Toric 8x42 ED $654 (19mm, 377ft fov, diopter +-2) ( Gary58 says the Hawke ED-X is better)
  • Maven C1 8x42 $325 (19.5mm, 341ft fov, diopter +-3) (fov seems very low)
  • Maven B1 8x42($900, 18.6mm, 388ft fov, diopter +-3)
  • Maven B2 7x45($1000, 18mm, 388t fov, diopter +-2)
  • Maven B2 9x45($1050, 17.3mm, 377ft fov, diopter +-4)
  • Vortex 8x42 Razor HD($1000)

How would you pick between these 3 / Are there any other bins to look at?
Nick-on did say "...I would have a 42mm just for the times when the extra light gathering was needed.". Because I guess that is around the time when I would not bother with binoculars at all I would go with one of the Sightron/Fujifilm/Kenko [Ultraview II] 8x32 clones. Out of one example of each which I tried with glasses, as well as Sightron 10x, they were equally v.sharp, easy to use, and fault free. More generally I doubt if light gathering would be appreciably less than with most 42mm binoculars and they are smaller as well as, in my experience, being better made than many.

Last edited:
Nick-on did say "...I would have a 42mm just for the times when the extra light gathering was needed.". Because I guess that is around the time when I would not bother with binoculars at all I would go with one of the Sightron/Fujifilm/Kenko [Ultraview II] 8x32 clones. Out of one example of each which I tried with glasses, as well as Sightron 10x, they were equally v.sharp, easy to use, and fault free. More generally I doubt if light gathering would be appreciably less than with most 42mm binoculars and they are smaller as well as, in my experience, being better made than many.

Hmm do you propose just a 8x32 Sightron if I were to get just one bin? How much higher end would I have to go, to do appreciably better than the Sightron?

I am currently thinking the following makes the most sense (prices updated to include shipping)

Option 1:
  • Nikon MHG 8x42 ($850, 17.8mm, 435ft fov 665g) (ebay)

Option 2:
  • Hawke frontier ED-X 8x42 ($410 18mm, 426ft fov, 692g) and
  • Sightron Blue Sky S2 8x32 ($200, 17.5mm, 420ft fov, 562g)

MHG added because its supposedly better than the others in its price category (Trac Toric 8x42 and the Maven B1). Really wondering if the MHG is worth the extra $. (Its somewhat cheaper ($799) on ebay though)

Last edited:
If I could push my budget sufficiently I would go for 2 Opticron Traveller 8x32s. They are compact and light and perform better than their price suggests. Having a bino each means you can share the experiences much more conveniently and enjoyably and the little Travellers would not be too much of a burden when you have your photo gear. Being compact they are easy to slip inside your jacket or traveller's vest so they don't get in the way of your photo gear and they aren't uncomfortable there.

When walking around towns or villages the Travellers can be carried more discreetly than a 42 but still be available for birding or sight-seeing.

Lee

Hmm do you propose just a 8x32 Sightron if I were to get just one bin? How much higher end would I have to go, to do appreciably better than the Sightron?
If I could push my budget sufficiently I would go for 2 Opticron Traveller 8x32s. They are compact and light and perform better than their price suggests...
As far as Sightron's sharpness is concerned, at RSPB I looked through some alphas for comparison and found they seemed just as good in normal light.

I tried my earlier favourite again too: RSPB BG.PC 8X32, which still looked sharp, but thought that it's colours seemed a little less strong https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RSPB-BG-...381922?hash=item2aaca8fb22:g:uEgAAOSwyGZaRicH .
Could anyone comment on what seems to be a more modern version, Eagle Optics 8x32 Ranger ED? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eagle-Op...765046&hash=item4d75e7d120:g:laAAAOSwFFZbKBp-

Handling and contrast/colour is a matter of preference but to me that still seemed fine with Sightron in those conditions, even in much more expensive company. I was mainly looking at birds in the distance and can't remember whether it was a Zeiss Victory or Leica but in one case I preferred the Sightron's image, which seemed somehow, to me, to be more natural. In particular I preferred them to Swarovski Companion. I am not sure whether the 'clarity' of alphas would be considered significantly better but to me Sightrons seemed quite ok in that respect.

aCuria and Lee, unfortunately I have not been able to compare with Opticron Traveller 8x32 but the Sightrons were as sharp or better than the others which I have tried in various forms. I also like the Sightrons for their small size, easy view, and precise focus action with good 'snap' to focus.

If I could push my budget sufficiently I would go for 2 Opticron Traveller 8x32s. They are compact and light and perform better than their price suggests. Having a bino each means you can share the experiences much more conveniently and enjoyably and the little Travellers would not be too much of a burden when you have your photo gear. Being compact they are easy to slip inside your jacket or traveller's vest so they don't get in the way of your photo gear and they aren't uncomfortable there.

When walking around towns or villages the Travellers can be carried more discreetly than a 42 but still be available for birding or sight-seeing.

Lee

Hi Troubador,

Do you prefer the Opticron Traveller 8x32 to the Discovery WP PC 7x42? (And have you compared them to the sightrons?

You must like the Travellers allot to reccomend 2(!) as opposed to 2 different bins

I wanted to chime in since I own or have used many of the binoculars that have been mentioned. While it is certainly true that you can get more if you pay more, it is important to select the right binocular at a given price point. I think that you have been given many of the well reviewed or favored binoculars at the different price points. The major issues are how large (or compact) a binocular you prefer, and how much you want to spend.

I prefer 8x32 or smaller when traveling unless the trip is a dedicated astronomy or birding trip. For a Safari or any trip where you are going to be on the move quite a bit, I would prefer this size. And even on a local outing, if I were bringing a spotting scope, I would definitely complement it with a smaller binocular rather a larger one.

Of the binoculars that have been discussed here I own the Sightron II 8x32 (~$200), the Maven B3 8x30 (~$500), and the Zeiss Victory 8x25 (~$700). I also own a Cabelas Guide 8x32 (~$200) which as best I can tell is no longer made, and I tried the Opticron Traveller 8x32 (~400) at a show. IMO, All of these are excellent performers at their price point. The Sightron is a little better than the Cabelas in ergonomics and handling and the Cabelas is a little better than the Sightron optically, but I enjoy using both of them. If $200 is what you want to spend I would recommend the Sightron. It is an excellent value and you need to spend double that to get a better binocular.

If you want to jump to the next price level, I might have recommended the Maven B3 8x30. It is every bit as bright as the Cabela and Sightron 32mm, but it is more compact, better optically, and in a completely different class mechanically. However, while I observe without glasses, others have found the eye-relief to be marginal to inadequate for those who, like you, wear glasses. This brings me to the Opticron Traveller. I compared it to my Maven 8x30 at a show, and I would put them in the same class of performance. The Opticron has better eye relief and larger objectives (32mm vs. 30mm), while the Maven is slightly more compact and has a better mechanical feel. However, this was only a quick comparison.

My newest toy is the Zeiss Victory 8x25. I've always been skeptical about binoculars this small, but when I read Alexis Powell's review, I couldn't resist trying them. Much to my surprise, this little binocular was a good as or better than any I owned for daytime viewing. I would say that the optical difference between this binocular and the Maven 8x30 was more striking than the difference between the Maven and the $200 binoculars. In addition, the Zeiss is much lighter and more compact than the Maven which is considerably more compact and a little bit lighter than the Sightron. The problems with this binocular are poor accessories and some have complained about too much eye-relief for those not wearing glasses. Oh and the diopter adjustment is a pain to set. And then there are those pesky laws of physics that tell me a 25mm objective cannot gather as much light as a 32mm or 42mm or 45mm. So under sufficiently dark conditions, the larger binocular has that advantage. But none of this detracts from the joy of using this binocular under almost all circumstances. I can easily see the difference between my 9x45 binocular and the 8x25 under twilight or dusky/shaded conditions, but 8x25 actually keeps up with the 30-32 binoculars pretty well in those conditions. It may have to do with color bias toward the red, but the Sightron does the best of the 30-32mm binoculars in these conditions.

So my advice? Specifications are only rough guidelines. Reviews are a bit more interesting, but everyone's personal equation is different. It is critical that you try before you buy and/or buy from someplace with a good return policy. I think the Sightron 8x32 is a great place to start at $200. I still use it regularly, and I am always a little surprised by the nice relaxed views and how well it fits my hands, even though I know I have binoculars that "out-spec" it or out perform it. If you can spend more, you can get a better binocular and I would recommend that you spend as much as you are comfortable spending, especially if you are prone to upgradeitis. The best way to save $800 is to avoid buying the $100, $200, and $500 binoculars if you are going to end up with the $1,000 binocular in the end. Clearly I have not followed this advice, but I already know I am a binocaholic.

Alan

If you can spend more, you can get a better binocular and I would recommend that you spend as much as you are comfortable spending, especially if you are prone to upgradeitis. The best way to save $800 is to avoid buying the $100, $200, and $500 binoculars if you are going to end up with the $1,000 binocular in the end. Clearly I have not followed this advice, but I already know I am a binocaholic.
Alan

Hi Alan, you are exactly right about this - I AM prone to suffer from upgradeitis, and it is certainly better to purchase an Alpha directly rather than getting something cheaper first! That said, this isn't my main hobby but rather something to use on holiday (self-drive safari, whale watching, hiking, ...) I am told that the animals tend to come out in the morning/evening, which is why I was looking at 42mm's

That said there is something to be said for lightweight equipment, especially when hiking when the tendency is to carry as little as possible, a 42mm bin is likely to be left behind

I read Alexis Powell's review and the zeiss does look very interesting (Then again the next question would be how they compare to the swaro 8x25s, which cost about the same...)

I have found it harder to shop for bins, camera equipment tends to be much more straight forward! I have a tendency to be unsatisfied with photographic equipment (lenses) and I think bins may be similar...

Hi Alan, you are exactly right about this - I AM prone to suffer from upgradeitis, and it is certainly better to purchase an Alpha directly rather than getting something cheaper first! That said, this isn't my main hobby but rather something to use on holiday (self-drive safari, whale watching, hiking, ...) I am told that the animals tend to come out in the morning/evening, which is why I was looking at 42mm's

That said there is something to be said for lightweight equipment, especially when hiking when the tendency is to carry as little as possible, a 42mm bin is likely to be left behind

I read Alexis Powell's review and the zeiss does look very interesting (Then again the next question would be how they compare to the swaro 8x25s, which cost about the same...)

I have found it harder to shop for bins, camera equipment tends to be much more straight forward! I have a tendency to be unsatisfied with photographic equipment (lenses) and I think bins may be similar...

If you are going to compare a Swarovski binocular to the Zeiss Victory 8x25, then it should probably be the new 8x30 CL Companion. Both are next generation and the newer optical designs seem to be more forgiving of eye placement which can be a problem with compact binoculars. The 8x30 Swaro is also very enthusiastically reviewed in a long thread here though I have not tried it.

Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back