• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greyish Black bird in Kansas (1 Viewer)

WaterDraw

Hello everyone! I've never made a post on here and I'm sorry to say this will most likely be the only thread I will ever make. I went on here specifically for IDing a bird today. Let me give you all the run down of what happened.
I live in Kansas, USA. I don't live out in the country, I live in a town. Today I noticed a weird noise coming from underneath our porch and I noticed my cat was hitting a bird. My mother and I saved the bird and she is now in a cat kennel on our back porch since my mother will not allow her inside. Her wing is broken and I think there's something wrong with her legs BUT there is no blood, no open wounds.
Also I will be referring to her as a she even though I am unsure of her gender.
At first I thought she was a female robin, but then I learned female robins still have the orange on their chest. (I never said I was a professional bird watcher, so I'm sorry if I get anything wrong >.>) I've been on a quest to find out exactly what bird she is, but I cannot find any bird that looks similar to her.
She is about the size of a robin and she is colored like the dark grey-black on a robin. Her head is a darker shade than her body. Her beak is black on the outside, but yellow on the inside. Her eyes are small and black. Her eyelids are white, she has multiple white dots surrounding her eyes. Her legs/feet are not as long as a robins. She has a round head shape. She is slender; not fat or round. I'm not sure her exact wingspan, but I can say her wings are big if that helps. Her tail is shaped like a rounded rectangle. She tends to shake it out a lot (almost like how the male peacocks do to attract the female peacocks) and is very squirrely (although that is expected after being handled by humans?). She often opens up her mouth like how the baby birds do when they expect their mothers to feed them, and has bit the gloves we used to handle her a couple times.
If you need any more information, feel free to ask! I will provide you with what information I can.
It's very urgent we learn this ASAP so we know what to feed her (ATM all we have is bird feed). Any information is helpful!

Hello everyone! I've never made a post on here and I'm sorry to say this will most likely be the only thread I will ever make. I went on here specifically for IDing a bird today. Let me give you all the run down of what happened.
I live in Kansas, USA. I don't live out in the country, I live in a town. Today I noticed a weird noise coming from underneath our porch and I noticed my cat was hitting a bird. My mother and I saved the bird and she is now in a cat kennel on our back porch since my mother will not allow her inside. Her wing is broken and I think there's something wrong with her legs BUT there is no blood, no open wounds.
Also I will be referring to her as a she even though I am unsure of her gender.
At first I thought she was a female robin, but then I learned female robins still have the orange on their chest. (I never said I was a professional bird watcher, so I'm sorry if I get anything wrong >.>) I've been on a quest to find out exactly what bird she is, but I cannot find any bird that looks similar to her.

She is about the size of a robin and she is colored like the dark grey-black on a robin. Her head is a darker shade than her body. Her beak is black on the outside, but yellow on the inside. Her eyes are small and black. Her eyelids are white, she has multiple white dots surrounding her eyes. Her legs/feet are not as long as a robins. She has a round head shape. She is slender; not fat or round. I'm not sure her exact wingspan, but I can say her wings are big if that helps. Her tail is shaped like a rounded rectangle. She tends to shake it out a lot (almost like how the male peacocks do to attract the female peacocks) and is very squirrely (although that is expected after being handled by humans?). She often opens up her mouth like how the baby birds do when they expect their mothers to feed them, and has bit the gloves we used to handle her a couple times.

If you need any more information, feel free to ask! I will provide you with what information I can.
It's very urgent we learn this ASAP so we know what to feed her (ATM all we have is bird feed). Any information is helpful!

Photos would be helpful in answering your questions, preferably several from different angles. They don’t have to be fancy—phone photos would do just fine.

Photos would be helpful in answering your questions, preferably several from different angles. They don’t have to be fancy—phone photos would do just fine.

I can't right now as it is night and was just raining where I am. I could provide them in the morning, however. :)

I do not know what the bird is from your description, but I would very much recommend that you look up a local wildlife rehabilitator to take care of the bird. Especially with a broken wing, it will be almost impossible for you to help it recover on your own.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back