• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mistle Thrush singing!.... (1 Viewer)

KenM

This morning I noted a Mistle Thrush atop the highest oak tree behind my garden, it subsequently dropped down to a smaller tree and started singing!!

I’ve never known MT’s to sing this early?

Cheers

This morning I noted a Mistle Thrush atop the highest oak tree behind my garden, it subsequently dropped down to a smaller tree and started singing!!

I’ve never known MT’s to sing this early?

Cheers

Heard one this morning singing from my Suffolk garden, which I thought was a tad early

Not had a singing MT yet; just checked last year - Nov 26th, tho one two weeks prior in Portugal. This "season" so far: Song Thrush singing on Fri 16th, and Blackbird Tue 13th. :)

Same experience here, one singing on consecutive days at the end of October, usually December before they start up (mind you, no song heard this month so far).

Hi Ken, we were also surprised to find a MT singing in the garden today. Can't have anything to do with climate change though - that nice Mr Trump says so ... ;o)

Last edited:
I know that they breed from February onwards, so I suppose singing during early November (3 months before breeding) compares well with Blackbird that breeds in Early April, having heard them singing in late December?

Cheers

Another Mistle Thrush singing well this morning :t:

Around here, Blackbirds don't usually start singing until mid to late February (odd ones in the city centre start earlier, though).

I can recall (during my previous life) Blackbird singing on 21st December in London W1 many moons ago, and it gave a tremendous lift, on a grey day just like today.

.....to all afficiendos :t:

I can recall (during my previous life) Blackbird singing on 21st December in London W1 many moons ago, and it gave a tremendous lift, on a grey day just like today.

.....to all afficiendos :t:

Blackbirds have been found nesting in High Street Christmas Trees in December, I think abnormally warm weather triggers the behaviour. It has been a very warm late autumn.

John

A Blackbird was subsinging today, unlike the one two weeks ago which was in full song (albeit slightly hesitant) in the mild weather before the colder temps of the last few days. Very mild weather forecast on Wed might tempt some songsters - if it wasn't for the accompanying gales and rain! O_O

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back