Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

S.E. Florida - Odd looking warbler ID needed

Old Monday 26th November 2018, 14:27   #1
Zackiedawg

S.E. Florida - Odd looking warbler ID needed

While out yesterday re-locating my golden-winged warbler that I had gotten blurry ID shots of the week before (happily I did relocate the bird and got some better shots this time)...I shot a few other warblers hanging out in the same batch of trees - one which I immediately ID'd as a yellow-rumped warbler on scene because I saw a noticeable yellow-square patch at the base of the tail, upon closer inspection of the photos, looks a bit odd. The white patch behind and below the eye and flecks of white on the top of the head and sides of the wing threw me, and I couldn't come up with a match in any of the bird guides. I have no idea if this could be some morph, phase, or hybrid, or if it's not a yellow-rumped at all. Any help appreciated:

http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg/imag...4/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg/imag...5/original.jpg

Zackiedawg's Photography Gallery
Old Monday 26th November 2018, 15:19   #2
andyadcock

Location: Nottingham, UK and Occasionally St Petersburg, Russia
Looks like a Yellow-rumped Warbler with slight leucism around the face.
Old Monday 26th November 2018, 17:00   #3
Zackiedawg

Thanks Andy. That's sort of what I was thinking too - I've never seen a partial leucistic warbler...but everything else seemed to be clearly yellow-rumped about him. I hoped to clarify and rule out a hybrid or mixed-breed, and to make sure it wasn't some other species I was overlooking or not finding. He was hanging out with two palm warblers, another yellow-rumped, a black-and-white warbler, and our rare sighting golden-winged warbler, all in the same tree stand.

Old Monday 26th November 2018, 17:09   #4
KC Foggin
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2020

Yellow-rumped for me as well. First leucistic one of this breed I've seen. Nice capture.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 26th November 2018, 18:55   #5
frejaya

Definitely looks like a yellow rumbed warbler to me, but I'm still pretty new at this!
Old Monday 26th November 2018, 20:21   #6
Zackiedawg

Thank you both. I'll go with yellow-rumped for sure, with partial leucistic feathers. First for me too with a yellow-rumped, KC. All in all, a good day yesterday with the golden-winged warbler and this guy too - I was only out birding for an hour or two!

Old Monday 26th November 2018, 20:48   #7
Birdbrain22

I am getting more of a leucistic Cape May Warbler read on this bird.
Lifelist:651-Little Stint,Sedge Wren(finally),Red-footed Booby,Wedge-tailed Shearwater,Red-tailed Tropicbird,LB Curlew,Surfbird,Wandering Tattler,Clark's Grebe,Pygmy Nuthatch,Acorn WP,Nuttall's WP,Ferruginous Hawk,Rufous-crowned Sparrow,Anna's HB,Allen's HB,Red-breasted Sapsucker,Rock Sandpiper
Old Monday 26th November 2018, 21:03   #8
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdbrain22 View Post
I am getting more of a leucistic Cape May Warbler read on this bird.
It seems to show a weak, double wing bar rather than the bolder white smudge of Cape May?
Old Monday 26th November 2018, 21:17   #9
Zackiedawg

Though not visible from these two angles on the bird, the yellow 'square' butt patch at the top of the base of the tail is very bold and obvious...it really had the yellow-rumped look from every angle except all the white bits on the face that threw me off. We certainly can have Cape Mays around here this time of year, but I was definitely thinking yellow-rumped all the way except the white. I'd love to hear any further consensus or argument one way or the other to nail it down.

Old Monday 26th November 2018, 22:12   #10
birdmeister

Yellow-rumped for me, too. Cape May should be either more gray or more green, not distinctly brown. I agree with Andy on the wing bars, too. Cape May's rump patch, while noticeable, should be more yellow-green and not contrasting so much with the rest of the upperparts.

The one thing I find interesting is the apparently yellowish color on the throat. Not sure if pure "Myrtle" subspecies can show that.
Old Monday 26th November 2018, 22:21   #11
Birdbrain22

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
It seems to show a weak, double wing bar rather than the bolder white smudge of Cape May?
Not all show that bold white smudge you refer to especially in Fall and first winter birds and females. Take a look at some of the pics in the attached Audubon site(scroll down to the gallery). Cape Mays vary greatly in the fall(age, sex). Plus this bird looks like it has some color throughout the breast and throat on my screen which YR should not.

https://www.audubon.org/field-guide/...pe-may-warbler

I can see it as a first winter Cape May...
Lifelist:651-Little Stint,Sedge Wren(finally),Red-footed Booby,Wedge-tailed Shearwater,Red-tailed Tropicbird,LB Curlew,Surfbird,Wandering Tattler,Clark's Grebe,Pygmy Nuthatch,Acorn WP,Nuttall's WP,Ferruginous Hawk,Rufous-crowned Sparrow,Anna's HB,Allen's HB,Red-breasted Sapsucker,Rock Sandpiper
Old Monday 26th November 2018, 22:23   #12
Birdbrain22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackiedawg View Post
Though not visible from these two angles on the bird, the yellow 'square' butt patch at the top of the base of the tail is very bold and obvious...it really had the yellow-rumped look from every angle except all the white bits on the face that threw me off. We certainly can have Cape Mays around here this time of year, but I was definitely thinking yellow-rumped all the way except the white. I'd love to hear any further consensus or argument one way or the other to nail it down.
Look at the pics in the link...yellow rump on the Cape Mays are very visible as well.
Old Monday 26th November 2018, 22:29   #13
andyadcock

Quote:
Not all show that bold white smudge you refer to especially in Fall and first winter birds and females. Take a look at some of the pics in the attached Audubon site(scroll down to the gallery). Cape Mays vary greatly in the fall(age, sex). Plus this bird looks like it has some color throughout the breast and throat on my screen which YR should not.

https://www.audubon.org/field-guide/...pe-may-warbler

I can see it as a first winter Cape May...
But none seem to show the double wing bar?
Old Monday 26th November 2018, 22:32   #14
Birdbrain22

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdmeister View Post
Yellow-rumped for me, too. Cape May should be either more gray or more green, not distinctly brown. I agree with Andy on the wing bars, too. Cape May's rump patch, while noticeable, should be more yellow-green and not contrasting so much with the rest of the upperparts.

The one thing I find interesting is the apparently yellowish color on the throat. Not sure if pure "Myrtle" subspecies can show that.
Cape Mays can certainly be brownish in fall, especially on first year birds. Cape Mays show that color throughout the breast/throat.

I personally still see it as a Cape May...

As a side question... how does one multiquote numerous responses?
Old Monday 26th November 2018, 23:37   #15
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Look at the pics in the link...yellow rump on the Cape Mays are very visible as well.
Quote:

As a side question... how does one multiquote numerous responses?
Middle icon on bottom right hand side of posts when replying - click on the posts you want to multiquote (they go red with a '+'), then hit the left hand 'quote' button ...

Old Tuesday 27th November 2018, 00:05   #16
ovenbird43

I think this is more likely a Yellow-rumped Warbler. I think some of the apparent yellowish wash to the throat and breast may be an effect of lighting/reflection - the real yellow shows through as a typical Yellow-rumped flank patch. it's hard to truly rule out Cape May with such an odd bird, but everything to me screams Yellow-rumped rather than Cape May - I would expect a Cape May with such a bright rump to also have a brighter (and more uniformly colored) breast and face (where not instead white). And let's consider probability - while a few Cape Mays do winter in extreme southern Florida, Yellow-rumped is FAR FAR more common.
Old Tuesday 27th November 2018, 01:39   #17
jmorlan
Hmmm. That's funny -- Opus Editor

It is undoubtedly a Yellow-rumped (Myrtle) Warbler. Cape May has a shorter tail, thinner bill and different ventral pattern. On a side note, "leucism" is properly applied to birds or animals with normal plumage that is dilute overall. Birds with patches of pure white are better termed "partial albino." Geneticists may cringe at that but there is no better plain language term available. Or you could go with "partial amelanistic." Ugh!
Old Tuesday 27th November 2018, 08:34   #18
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorlan View Post
On a side note, "leucism" is properly applied to birds or animals with normal plumage that is dilute overall. Birds with patches of pure white are better termed "partial albino." Geneticists may cringe at that but there is no better plain language term available. Or you could go with "partial amelanistic." Ugh!
Red rag to some bulls, but I agree 100%
Old Tuesday 27th November 2018, 08:56   #19
andyadcock

Quote:
It is undoubtedly a Yellow-rumped (Myrtle) Warbler. Cape May has a shorter tail, thinner bill and different ventral pattern. On a side note, "leucism" is properly applied to birds or animals with normal plumage that is dilute overall. Birds with patches of pure white are better termed "partial albino." Geneticists may cringe at that but there is no better plain language term available. Or you could go with "partial amelanistic." Ugh!
Seems not to be true according to people who know more than me.

'Leucism (/ˈluːsɪzəm, -kɪz-/)[1][2][3] is a condition in which there is partial loss of pigmentation in an animal resulting in white, pale, or patchy coloration of the skin, hair, feathers, scales or cuticle, but not the eyes.[3] It is occasionally spelled leukism. Unlike albinism, it is caused by a reduction in multiple types of pigment, not just melanin.'

Leucism is a general term for the phenotype resulting from defects in pigment cell differentiation and/or migration from the neural crest to skin, hair, or feathers during development. This results in either the entire surface (if all pigment cells fail to develop) or patches of body surface (if only a subset are defective) having a lack of cells capable of making pigment.

Last edited by andyadcock : Tuesday 27th November 2018 at 09:28.
Old Tuesday 27th November 2018, 14:53   #20
Zackiedawg

This little bird has become quite the interesting find - heartening to see that others are not easily nailing down the ID, so I don't feel so feeble in not being able to figure it out myself. Between the Cape May and Yellow-rumped, it seems the yellow-rumpeds are slightly in the lead...as for leucistic or partial albino, whichever is the more accurate term I'll accept, as we've at least identified the odd white bits to not be part of a pattern of some other species I couldn't figure out, but an anomaly causing this bird to be a more difficult on-scene identification.
I will post this bird on my local Audubon site as well to see if any other local birders have additional opinions on it.

Old Tuesday 27th November 2018, 23:23   #21
jmorlan

Leucism

Depends on sources.

Here is Sibley's take: http://www.sibleyguides.com/2011/08/...nin-reduction/

I have the 1985 edition of "A Dictionary of Birds" edited by Campbell and Lack. An entry by C.J.O. Harrison lists the following types of abnormal plumage:

Abnormal Pigmentation, Atypical pigmentation, Schizochroism, Pigment replacement, Gynandromorphs, Pigment deficiency, Pattern variations, and Feather structure abnormalities.

The following appears in the discussion under "Atypical pigmentation:"

"Partial loss of pigment, affecting all the colours present and reducing them in intensity, is rare. It is called 'dilution' by bird breeders and 'leucism' in scientific writings, although the latter term is also used at times for various forms of schizochroic loss (see below) of single pigments which make the plumage appear paler...."

So defined, the phenomenon of true leucism (dilution of all pigments) is much rarer than schizochroism (involving a loss or dilution of only some pigments), so "leucistic" should probably be used rarely, and not merely as a jargon replacement for the more popular vernacular "partial albino."

Quote:
Seems not to be true according to people who know more than me.

'Leucism (/ˈluːsɪzəm, -kɪz-/)[1][2][3] is a condition in which there is partial loss of pigmentation in an animal resulting in white, pale, or patchy coloration of the skin, hair, feathers, scales or cuticle, but not the eyes.[3] It is occasionally spelled leukism. Unlike albinism, it is caused by a reduction in multiple types of pigment, not just melanin.'

Leucism is a general term for the phenotype resulting from defects in pigment cell differentiation and/or migration from the neural crest to skin, hair, or feathers during development. This results in either the entire surface (if all pigment cells fail to develop) or patches of body surface (if only a subset are defective) having a lack of cells capable of making pigment.
Old Wednesday 28th November 2018, 10:08   #22
andyadcock

Quote:
Depends on sources.

Here is Sibley's take: http://www.sibleyguides.com/2011/08/...nin-reduction/

I have the 1985 edition of "A Dictionary of Birds" edited by Campbell and Lack. An entry by C.J.O. Harrison lists the following types of abnormal plumage:

Abnormal Pigmentation, Atypical pigmentation, Schizochroism, Pigment replacement, Gynandromorphs, Pigment deficiency, Pattern variations, and Feather structure abnormalities.

The following appears in the discussion under "Atypical pigmentation:"

"Partial loss of pigment, affecting all the colours present and reducing them in intensity, is rare. It is called 'dilution' by bird breeders and 'leucism' in scientific writings, although the latter term is also used at times for various forms of schizochroic loss (see below) of single pigments which make the plumage appear paler...."

So defined, the phenomenon of true leucism (dilution of all pigments) is much rarer than schizochroism (involving a loss or dilution of only some pigments), so "leucistic" should probably be used rarely, and not merely as a jargon replacement for the more popular vernacular "partial albino."
I'm not really qualified to take this any further so I'll leave you with this though I do agree that we are limited by often conflicting sources however, some terms have come in to usage through non qualified people such as amateur aviculturists, I think 'partial albino' may be onу one those terms?

'The term "partial albino" is sometimes used in the literature, however, it has been stated that "A common misnomer is ‘partial albino’ – this is not possible since albinism affects the whole plumage of a bird, not just part"[12] and the definition of albinism precludes the possibility of "partial albinism" in which a mostly white bird shows some form of melanin pigmentation. "It is simply impossible, just like being ‘partially pregnant’ ".

Last edited by andyadcock : Wednesday 28th November 2018 at 10:11.
Old Wednesday 28th November 2018, 15:24   #23
jmorlan

Quote:
I'm not really qualified to take this any further so I'll leave you with this though I do agree that we are limited by often conflicting sources however, some terms have come in to usage through non qualified people such as amateur aviculturists, I think 'partial albino' may be onу one those terms?

'The term "partial albino" is sometimes used in the literature, however, it has been stated that "A common misnomer is ‘partial albino’ – this is not possible since albinism affects the whole plumage of a bird, not just part"[12] and the definition of albinism precludes the possibility of "partial albinism" in which a mostly white bird shows some form of melanin pigmentation. "It is simply impossible, just like being ‘partially pregnant’ ".
I believe that quote originates with Paul Buckley. When there is an inherent conflict between being correct and being understood, I much prefer being understood. Everybody knows what "partial albino" means. Very few know what "leucistic" actually means.
Old Wednesday 28th November 2018, 18:48   #24
andyadcock

Quote:
I believe that quote originates with Paul Buckley. When there is an inherent conflict between being correct and being understood, I much prefer being understood. Everybody knows what "partial albino" means. Very few know what "leucistic" actually means.
I hadn't heard of Paul Buckley but have just Googled him.

Seems to me from your quote that he rather patronisingly 'dumbed down' the word leucistic for us lesser mortals lest we be too dim to understand it and in providing this quote, you seem to have disproved your point? As the saying goes 'hoisted by your own petarde'..........

I think most regular, modern biders, know what leucistic means.

Last edited by andyadcock : Wednesday 28th November 2018 at 19:01.
Old Wednesday 28th November 2018, 21:44   #25
jmorlan

Quote:
I hadn't heard of Paul Buckley but have just Googled him.

Seems to me from your quote that he rather patronisingly 'dumbed down' the word leucistic for us lesser mortals lest we be too dim to understand it and in providing this quote, you seem to have disproved your point? As the saying goes 'hoisted by your own petarde'..........

I think most regular, modern biders, know what leucistic means.
Not my quote, but yours. Most modern birders think leucistic means the same thing as "partial albino." It does not.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: