Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Somalia or Common Bulbul - Djibouti September 2018

Old Sunday 6th January 2019, 07:47   #1
Aladdin
BF Supporter 2019

Somalia or Common Bulbul - Djibouti September 2018

Dear Members and bird watchers

I spotted a few Bulbuls in Djibouti back in September 2018. I made a recording and I posted it on XENO-CANTO as a Common Bulbul as this was the only bulbul on my list for Djibouti.

https://www.xeno-canto.org/433297

All pictures taken in the Goda Mountains and the two last at the Foret Du Day camping and the very last picture is the bird you can hear in the recording above.

Today I got a message on XENO-CANTO wondering when I will change my bird to Somali bulbul, a bird that I have never heard of in Djibouti and not on my list.

You can find the discussion on Xeno-Canto by clicking the link below:
https://www.xeno-canto.org/forum/topic/25977

But after having checked other sources I see that both the bulbuls are nesting in Djibouti.

Any one here know the difference between the Somali and Common Bulbul, I can for sure not see the difference between them.

My birds on the attached pictures, are they Somali or Common?

Kind regards and happy birding
Aladdin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	254.0 KB
ID:	683971  Click image for larger version

Name:	15.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	237.1 KB
ID:	683972  Click image for larger version

Name:	16.jpg
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	683973  Click image for larger version

Name:	25.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	683974  Click image for larger version

Name:	978.jpg
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	683976  

BF Supporter 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 6th January 2019, 08:30   #2
cuckooroller

For me, somaliensis. The separation must be done with schoanus. The other two barbatus-related taxa in the region are dodsoni, and spurius, and they both have yellow crissa. The only reliable distinguisher that I have found with schoanus is the appearance of the hind-nape evident in your last photo...it seems to be less concolorous (kind of whitish tips) respect to that of schoanus.
Neotropical Bird Club
Old Sunday 6th January 2019, 09:59   #3
Aladdin
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuckooroller View Post
For me, somaliensis. The separation must be done with schoanus. The other two barbatus-related taxa in the region are dodsoni, and spurius, and they both have yellow crissa. The only reliable distinguisher that I have found with schoanus is the appearance of the hind-nape evident in your last photo...it seems to be less concolorous (kind of whitish tips) respect to that of schoanus.
Thank you very much cuckooroller

Yet again on birdforum.net, I learned something, appreciated

The only confusing part is now that they have split the common in to 4 species among them the Somali, and somali is also one of the subspecies

Thank you very much and I have changed my recording on Xeno-Canto to Somali

Aladdin

Old Sunday 6th January 2019, 10:39   #4
Andy Hurley
Opus Editor
BF Supporter 2019

Hi Aladdin,
this Opus page breaks down the taxonomy. Sibley and Monroe accepts 4 subspieces, but Clements recognises 10. It is a bit of a mess as different authorities recognise different things. If you take a peek at avibase you can see all the subspecies recognised by which authority. Some people follow more than one authority, but keep more than one list. It takes a look of time and dedication to do that though.

Last edited by Andy Hurley : Sunday 6th January 2019 at 10:40. Reason: spelling

BF Supporter 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 6th January 2019, 11:39   #5
Aladdin
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Hurley View Post
Hi Aladdin,
this Opus page breaks down the taxonomy. Sibley and Monroe accepts 4 subspieces, but Clements recognises 10. It is a bit of a mess as different authorities recognise different things. If you take a peek at avibase you can see all the subspecies recognised by which authority. Some people follow more than one authority, but keep more than one list. It takes a look of time and dedication to do that though.
Cheers Andy

Yes, drives me crazy, just as I think I got the hang of it there is something totally different.

But it is interesting and it fills me with a feeling of satisfaction every time I learn something even though sometimes the satisfaction turns in to hopelessness when my new knowledge makes me realize that there is much more to learn.

I have changed my recording at Xeno-Canto to the Somali Bulbul

Aladdin

Old Sunday 6th January 2019, 11:49   #6
Andy Hurley
Opus Editor
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
Cheers Andy

Yes, drives me crazy, just as I think I got the hang of it there is something totally different.

But it is interesting and it fills me with a feeling of satisfaction every time I learn something even though sometimes the satisfaction turns in to hopelessness when my new knowledge makes me realize that there is much more to learn.

I have changed my recording at Xeno-Canto to the Somali Bulbul

Aladdin
I tend to think of it as there is always something new to learn. If you stop learning, you have closed your mind.

BF Supporter 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: