• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sanderling? Seaforth Liverpool UK (yesterday) (1 Viewer)

Hi all

Spotted these small guys on the beach amongst the Redshank and Dunlins - are they Sanderlings?

thanks

Attachments

• sanderling.jpg
    sanderling.jpg
    484.7 KB · Views: 133
Looks like you have a mix of Bar-tailed Godwit, Knot & Dunlin. Sanderling would look a lot paler at this time of year, probably with a shorter looking.

Thanks JWN - gosh, my wader identification seems to be getting worse :eek!:

Learning bird ID is not a linear process, and occasional wobbles like this will serve to consolidate what you probably did know but forgot in the moment. You are now more likely to consider a wider range of species when confronted with a mixed wader flock. You'll get there. We'll try and help. :t:

(And somehow I managed to miss the word "bill" off the end of my earlier post.)

Learning bird ID is not a linear process, and occasional wobbles like this will serve to consolidate what you probably did know but forgot in the moment. You are now more likely to consider a wider range of species when confronted with a mixed wader flock. You'll get there. We'll try and help. :t:

(And somehow I managed to miss the word "bill" off the end of my earlier post.)

Thanks for that - and you're right, I did narrow it down to easily I think based upon the fact that they are usually the most common birds I see. Well, I do see a lot of Godwit too but usually the Black-tailed so Bar-tailed is a first for me :t: and I'll use that as my misidentification excuse too ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back