• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Santa Cruz, CA (June) (1 Viewer)

marcsantacurz

Can't say I have any idea what this guy is. He's on a bush about 20m from a cliff down to the ocean.

The two photos are the same bird with different cameras (a6400 and d850) taken back-to-back.

TIA

Attachments

• DSC00945-Edit-2.jpg
    DSC00945-Edit-2.jpg
    537 KB · Views: 52
  • 851_5030-Edit-2.jpg
    851_5030-Edit-2.jpg
    526.9 KB · Views: 33
Looks like that to me as well. Interesting that it is banded.

The area where this photo was taken is at the UC Santa Cruz Coastal Biology complex, which is made up of several university buildings, a museum, a Fish and Game building, and a NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) building. It is adjacent to the Younger Lagoon Reserve, a restricted access lagoon between Coastal Biology complex and farmland with a lagoon to the ocean. During the summer, my understanding is there's a regular banding event at the lagoon [1]. I've seen banding on all sorts of birds in that area.

Marc

[1] http://www.canaturalist.com/2018/06/08/banding-party/

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back