• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jos's Butterflies ...some for discussion (1 Viewer)

Jos Stratford

Eastern Exile
Staff member
United Kingdom
Continuing my quest to photograph all the butterflies on my land, got these three beauties today - Swallowtail was excellent (seen them on the land before, but always zooming through), the Short-tailed Blue is rather common now (having replaced the earlier Mazarine and Amanda's Blues), but the Clouded Yellow was a first. Sneaked in close and got this shot ...but not certain I've got the i.d. okay, best I can do is Pale Clouded Yellow (?). Anybody like to confirm or put me right (with reasons if possible).

Attachments

• Swallowtail-thumb.jpg
    Swallowtail-thumb.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 96
  • Pale Clouded Yellow-thumb.jpg
    Pale Clouded Yellow-thumb.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 149
  • Short-tailed Blue-thumb.jpg
    Short-tailed Blue-thumb.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 109
Jos Stratford said:
Continuing my quest to photograph all the butterflies on my land, got these three beauties today - Swallowtail was excellent (seen them on the land before, but always zooming through), the Short-tailed Blue is rather common now (having replaced the earlier Mazarine and Amanda's Blues), but the Clouded Yellow was a first. Sneaked in close and got this shot ...but not certain I've got the i.d. okay, best I can do is Pale Clouded Yellow (?). Anybody like to confirm or put me right (with reasons if possible).

Confirmed as Colias hyale.

Harri

Thanks for that Harri, did think it was that one, but nice to get a bit of confirmation.

Samuel, I guess 'Tiger' Swallowtail is one of the American races of this swallowtail, as this term is not (as far as I know) used this side of the pond. Same goes for the 'clouded sulphur' - checking guides, I think we're talking different species in the US and Europe.

Jos Stratford said:
Samuel, I guess 'Tiger' Swallowtail is one of the American races of this swallowtail, as this term is not (as far as I know) used this side of the pond. Same goes for the 'clouded sulphur' - checking guides, I think we're talking different species in the US and Europe.

Yes, to clear any confusion, Jos's Lithuanian swallowtail is the widespread European species Papilio machaon. (Sadly very rare here in the UK and I am jealous of Jos's photograph.)
In North America it is called the 'Old World Swallowtail', and is confined, I understand, to Canada and Alaska, though there are very similar species further south.

The Tiger Swallowtails have conspicuous black "tiger" stripes on the wings and they are in a section of the genus that some authorities put in the separate genus Pterourus. The most widespread is Papilio glaucus, which was a frequent and magnificent sight when I was in New York state last summer. They do not occur in Europe, though the Scarce Swallowtail, Iphiclides podalirius, is superficially similar.

Also agreed that the American 'Clouded Sulphur', aka 'Common Sulphur', Colias philodice, is not the same as Jos's C. hyale, it's more like our European C. croceas in fact. (I believe I saw one and it looked exactly the same to me!).

Another bunch

Plenty of butterflies photographed and logged now, but still one or two causing a bit of uncertainty.

A flush of fritillaries took to the wing this week, along with another hatching of Map Butterflies. It seems to me that the most common is Silver-washed Fritillary, but also got a shot of a different one - I think it is Pallas's Fritillary. Base this on rounder wings, darker margins to wings and lack of heavier black along the veins. Am I talking rubbish?!

The four pictures show the possible Pallas's Fritillary (picture 4), along with what I took to be Silver-washed in the other pictures

Attachments

• Fritillary - Silver-washed thumb1.jpg
    Fritillary - Silver-washed thumb1.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 96
  • Fritillary - Silver-washed thumb2.jpg
    Fritillary - Silver-washed thumb2.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 97
  • Fritillary - Silver-washed thumb3.jpg
    Fritillary - Silver-washed thumb3.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 132
  • Fritillary - thumb.jpg
    Fritillary - thumb.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Jos Stratford said:
Plenty of butterflies photographed and logged now, but still one or two causing a bit of uncertainty.

A flush of fritillaries took to the wing this week, along with another hatching of map Butterflies. It seems to me that the most common is Silver-washed Fritillary, but also got a shot of a different one - I think it is Pallas's Fritillary. Base this on rounder wings, darker margins to wings and lack of heavier black along the veins. Am I talking rubbish?!

The four pictures show the possible Pallas's Fritillary (picture 4), along with what I took to be Silver-washed in the other pictures

1-3 are Argynnis paphia, 4 is probably A. aglaja. I believe you will see A. laodice after a week or so.

Hi Harri,

Thanks for the confirmation on the Silver-washed, I thought I was doing okay there.

As regards Pallas's (A.laodice) and Dark Green (A.aglaja), what is it that takes you to the aglaja? Is it because the sub-margin spots are like 'arrows' or 'triangles' rather than more rounded spots?

Unfortunately I didn't get a clear look at the underwing, let alone a photo, but it didn't appear to have the white spots of aglaja, but as I said I didn't see it very well.

So, laodice perhaps after a week or so, I hope so. Once again thanks for your help.

Jos Stratford said:
As regards Pallas's (A.laodice) and Dark Green (A.aglaja), what is it that takes you to the aglaja? Is it because the sub-margin spots are like 'arrows' or 'triangles' rather than more rounded spots?

Yes, that's one of the distinctive marks, see pictures of A. laodice: http://www2.nrm.se/en/svenska_fjarilar/a/argynnis_laodice.html.

A. aglaja usually has scent mark also on the anal vein of forewing, A. adippe has not (your specimen has).

In addition, A. laodice seems more yellow that the other fritillaries in flight. It is fairly common in the surroundings of our summer cottage in southern Estonia.

Last edited:
Fritillaries!

Each week brings new species to my land, managing to get good photos and i.d. on most, but still some require confirmation. New fritillaries yesterday and they were not hanging around, so only got brief shots.

I think I have here High Brown Fritillary and, possibly, Niobe Fritillary (initially thought I was dealing with one species!)

The first butterfly I only managed to get a shot of the upperwing and didn't see the underwing before it disappeared (no big thanks to my dog who decided to take a look too!). Largely basing this i.d. on the 'club-shaped' dark marking at the front of the wing and because the androconia are prominent on veins 2 and 3 (apparantly not so on Niobe).

The second butterfly was not far away and presuming it to be the same species, tried to photograph the underwing - got several shots as below, but checking the guides, it seems the wing pattern is Niobe. However, it does also have the dark club-shaped marking, hence I'm not sure with the identity on this one!

Will be back up there on Saturday, so hopefully will see more of them to check better.

Attachments

• Fritillary - High Brown-thumb.jpg
    Fritillary - High Brown-thumb.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 80
  • Fritillary - Niobe-thumb.jpg
    Fritillary - Niobe-thumb.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 94
Andrew Whitehouse said:
Hi Jos,

Is it possible that either of these might be Dark Green Fritillaries?

Possible, but why? Shot one shows the prominent androconia on veins 2 and 3, which seems to be a feature more of High Brown tha Dark Green. Take a look at the pictures on www.leps.it for example. Also underwing of photo two does not seem to match. Of course these are new species for me, so can be wrong!

Jos Stratford said:
Possible, but why? Shot one shows the prominent androconia on veins 2 and 3, which seems to be a feature more of High Brown tha Dark Green. Take a look at the pictures on www.leps.it for example. Also underwing of photo two does not seem to match. Of course these are new species for me, so can be wrong!

Yes, both are A. adippe.

Blues!

Thanks for all the help so far, this week saw a few more High Brown Fritillaries, a female Large Copper and a selection of blues.

The blues have been an interesting group, with different species occurring across the season - started with Mazarine and Amanda's, then replaced by Short-tailed, then recently Common becamme the dominant species.

This weekend there was 'another' kind of blue - I have attached five shots of the blues on my land this week. The one that is causing me problems is the one with very little white on the wing margins. As well as the lack of white, it is also slightly smaller than the other pictured butterfly. Other than the lack of white and smaller size, it looks very like Common Blue (but has some black veins through the wings) and I considered it to be a form of Common Blue perhaps, but have to admit this one is confusing me, as both butterflies were common and I would be surprised to have two forms of one butterfly present at the same time.

Pictures 1-3 are what I am considering to be Common Blue.
Pictures 4-5 are confusing me!

Attachments

• Blue up-thumb.jpg
    Blue up-thumb.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 97
  • Blue und-thumb.jpg
    Blue und-thumb.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 98
  • Common Blue ind1-thumb.jpg
    Common Blue ind1-thumb.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 73
  • Common Blue ind2und-thumb.jpg
    Common Blue ind2und-thumb.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 68
  • Common Blue ind2up-thumb.jpg
    Common Blue ind2up-thumb.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 77
I wonder if 4 and 5 are Common Blues that have lost the white edge to the wing. I think sometimes this gets worn off as the butterfly gets older.

I did consider that as a possibility, but wasn't sure about this for two reasons - it is a very recent emergence of Common Blues and all butterflies seem very fresh, with and without the white. Additionally, there are quite a number flitting about without the white and none showed wear (other than the missing white). Has to be said though, the underwing matches only Common Blue and hence I am inclined to agree. Again mant thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back