• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Queensland Tree Fruit (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Anybody know what this is - from memory it was a little more purple coloured.

In a Queensland Rainforest at Springbrook.

EDIT: also an out of focus pic that is probably nearer the colour.

Attachments

• BF Tree fruit for ID.jpg
    BF Tree fruit for ID.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 12
  • BF Tree fruit oof for ID.jpg
    BF Tree fruit oof for ID.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 14
Hello Delia (and Dave, who gave a reaction already),
Somehow the picture of the blue fruit seemed familiar and then I realised why: I remember photographs of Australian Bowerbirds (don't remember which species) which gather various coloured fruits and other small objects, preferably glistening, to adorn their "playgrounds" and make these places attractive for females. However, the berries etc. are generally not identified in bird books! I searched with "blue fruit Australia" and found this: Trees, Shrubs Identification using Fruit Characteristics etc., under
https://allcreativedesigns.com.au/pages/galltrees3.html
Of course, to identify the fruit correctly, more details about size etc. are useful. Dave might be right with the name he suggested. Anyway, it is nice to have a look at such interesting plants and their fruits and the special activities and preferences of the Bowerbirds!
Cheers, Jan van der Brugge

Hi Thanks Dave, and Jan too.

Unfortunately we just found it on the road, where there were a lot of trees. But I think I remember quandong being mentioned as one of the trees we'd been seeing on my travels.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back