Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Norfolk birding

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1534 votes, 4.98 average.
Old Monday 22nd October 2012, 08:18   #18026
Robert S J Smith

Redwings & Fieldfares pooring in by there 100's at Holme this morning.
Old Monday 22nd October 2012, 10:16   #18027
BirdBeard
Reverse, reverse, reverse!

Managed to get within feet of a very friendly Twite and then almost tripped over a beautifully coloured Richard's Pipit this morning at Waxham. Both birds were towards bottom of dunes just to left of the beach entrance (at the church). 100s of Redwings all over the place + 4 Fieldfare and a Willow Warbler.

Yours happily,
Birdbeard
Old Monday 22nd October 2012, 12:27   #18028
PYRTLE

Spectacle in the fog - as others have said, this morning saw thousands of redwings, fieldfares and blackbirds at Gramborough-in-the-mist whilst nearby fleeting glimpses of at least two ring ouzels as they flashed inland at Little Eye. A quivering redstart amongst many robins added to the expectation and some playful "chase me" crests amongst the shingle vegetation required scrutiny but to no avail. One redpoll in a small group of vocal bramblings didn't pitch down, but a wheatear sat atop a fence post. Back home in t'village, many of the thrushes were nervously feeding on hawthorn hedges - surprised how quickly they move through. What a great morning.
Old Monday 22nd October 2012, 12:49   #18029
Robert S J Smith

Large Thrushes slowing down in numbers but Robins increasing rapidly!
Old Monday 22nd October 2012, 13:19   #18030
tonyfenn

RED FLANKED BLUETAIL at Stifkey campsite wood
Old Monday 22nd October 2012, 13:30   #18031
postcardcv
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyfenn View Post
RED FLANKED BLUETAIL at Stifkey campsite wood
I was chatting to a friend this morning and said that there would be one in Norfolk today... I knew it would happen as I have been up half the night with a vomiting daughter which means she'll be off school until Wednesday at least. I really hope it sticks.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 22nd October 2012, 15:28   #18032
peteh

Seems I defo chose the wrong week out the two to visit Norfolk! Arghhhhh. I'm not rocking backwards and forwards here or anything honest !! :)
Old Monday 22nd October 2012, 16:00   #18033
stuart white

Burnham Overy

As soon as we arrived at BO Staithe you could tell it was going to be a good day, the first birds I saw were a flock of Brambling right by the sea wall, we counted at least 5 Ring Ouzels just walking out to the dunes along with 100's of Fieldfare & Redwings and further small flocks of Bramblings (50+ conservative estimate). It was amazing walking along the bank in the fog flushing thrushes everywhere.
Gun Hill produced another 5 Ring Ouzels, Redstart & Black Redstart. The mist kept all the thrushes low, they were literally everywhere. A truly fabulous experience, I've never seen anything like it.
As lunch time approached more and more Blackbirds were appearing along with song thrushes and Robins.
We then did some pagering and saw the attached little gem in Stiffkey campsite wood. I wonder what else is lurking out there !?
Also pictured a small flock of Brambling in the fog, sort of captures the atmosphe !
Happy days
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3454a.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	425.9 KB
ID:	410777  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3462a.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	442.7 KB
ID:	410778  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3439a.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	410779  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3444a.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	373.3 KB
ID:	410780  
Old Monday 22nd October 2012, 16:12   #18034
Paul Eele

Titchwell October 22nd

Today’s highlights

Wow, what a day. Massive movement of winter thrushes through the reserve today.

Ring ouzel – 17 through reserve today
Brambling – 107 through today
Firecrest – 1 on saltmarsh with goldcrests
Willow warbler – 2 on east trail
Black redstart – 1 reported from saltmarsh

Paul
Old Monday 22nd October 2012, 16:29   #18035
davethebird

Red-flanked Bluetail

How nice to have a good bird nearly on the door step.

The bird was showing well when I got to the woods but was a bit distant for my lens. Then it crossed the path and came much closer to me.

I promised a few people that I would post these images - including Mike who found it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Red-flanked Bluetail 121022 IMG_2056 web.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	410783  Click image for larger version

Name:	Red-flanked Bluetail 121022 IMG_2047 web.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	410784  Click image for larger version

Name:	Red-flanked Bluetail 121022 IMG_2062 web.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	410785  
Old Monday 22nd October 2012, 16:38   #18036
putnoebabes
Graham Robinson

Just my luck, after living at E Runton since March, we have vacated the site to go back to Bedford THIS MORNING, after weeks of seeing diddly squat. Took the dog for a walk, saw and heard loads of winter thrushes, then the pager kept going off halfway home, RFB, OBP etc........oh well, next year!!!!!!
While I think, thanks to everybody who helped me out in various ways this year, especially Phil Mick and Rob at Sheringham sea watch point, Simon C (Tractorboy) and Firstreesjohn, who pulled me out of the ditch at the Salthouse Bee-eater site!
See you all next year, Graham
Old Monday 22nd October 2012, 16:39   #18037
Robert S J Smith

Holme totals dawn - dusk

Okay I must admit that I gave in note taking after a while as I was missing Thrushes coming in off by there 100s but here's what I reckon I had personally numbers wise today at Holme.

Redwing coming up 10,000, Fieldfare 5000 easy, Blackbirds 500, Song Thrushes low 100's, Brambling 300, Hawfinch 1, Ring Ouzel 30+, Black Redstart 5, Common Redstart 2 and Robins 500+

I think that's about it...

NO OBP was at the opposite end of the reserve when found!!!
Old Monday 22nd October 2012, 16:54   #18038
Cortonbirds

Got off work at 3pm to be on the patch at 4pm in the light of a report of a large arrival in thick fog and north east wind. Only had time to check a very small area but I witnessed some of the action. At Corton Church area 250 plus Redwing were present, many settled fieeding out in the field along with smaller numbers of Blackbird, Song Thrush and Fieldfare. Parking at the MoD entrance i walked the entrance track all the way to the coast and flushed very many Redwing out of virtually every tree! A conservative total of 500 plus including huge flocks sweeping out from cover and ditching into the compound. Many were feeding on the edge of the stubble. The numbers progressively got larger as I reached the sea end, presumably birds ditching into the first cover on arrival from the sea in the dense fog. Also here were a wonderfully confiding flock of 6 Brambling, probably exhausted. As expected the indicator site of Hopton railtrack also indicated this was a very large arrival indeed with 200 plus Redwing, 2 Brambling, 5 Fieldfare and a single flock of 50 plus Chaffinch. From here i walked back out to the sea along the Potters hedge and noted 250+ Redwing, again getting more numerous towards the coast including a flock of around 120 in the very first largish tree from the sea. So around 1000 Redwing seen in a very small area of coast, a truly wonderful spectacle, the likes of which I have rarely seen before. A similar arrival occurred late last autumn but this was even more impressive.
Old Monday 22nd October 2012, 16:55   #18039
O.Reville1989
I started off with nothing and I've still got some of it left.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by davethebird View Post
How nice to have a good bird nearly on the door step.

The bird was showing well when I got to the woods but was a bit distant for my lens. Then it crossed the path and came much closer to me.

I promised a few people that I would post these images - including Mike who found it.
Amazing Dave! That first photo especially.
Very annoyed I missed the chance to photograph this little gem.
Old Monday 22nd October 2012, 17:25   #18040
Cortonbirds

In many respects this seems to be similar to the big fall of Thrushes in Norfolk on 18th October 1990. Shame it didnt occur on a weekend as im sure more rares would have been found.
Old Monday 22nd October 2012, 17:53   #18041
Birder Ozzie

I'm staying in Norfolk at the moment. I was at Titchwell today, and am going to get out early tomorrow morning. Is there a best place to go for rares?

Cheers

Oscar
Old Monday 22nd October 2012, 18:01   #18042
David Norgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert S J Smith View Post
Okay I must admit that I gave in note taking after a while as I was missing Thrushes coming in off by there 100s but here's what I reckon I had personally numbers wise today at Holme.

Redwing coming up 10,000, Fieldfare 5000 easy, Blackbirds 500, Song Thrushes low 100's, Brambling 300, Hawfinch 1, Ring Ouzel 30+, Black Redstart 5, Common Redstart 2 and Robins 500+

I think that's about it...

NO OBP was at the opposite end of the reserve when found!!!
Halve your numbers, Rob and that's what I recon I had around Stiffkey and I only arrived at noon!

I am still convincing myself that I didn't walk past Stiffkey's little gem and that it had only just arrived when found!

PS apologies to anyone I annoyed talking on my phone too loudly, hopefully lesson learned
Old Monday 22nd October 2012, 18:07   #18043
Robert S J Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Norgate View Post
Halve your numbers, Rob and that's what I recon I had around Stiffkey and I only arrived at noon!

I am still convincing myself that I didn't walk past Stiffkey's little gem and that it had only just arrived when found!

PS apologies to anyone I annoyed talking on my phone too loudly, hopefully lesson learned
Half a Hawfinch!?!...Interesting! Tell me more... ;o)
Old Monday 22nd October 2012, 18:08   #18044
Suffolkringer
Inland birding is hard work!!

Hi all

A rare away day gave me a chance to get to Blakeney Point, 08.30-14.30 produced one of my most exciting migration days in 20 years of birding.

19 Ring Ouzel was the highlight. Including one group of 4 birds that landed on the strand line in front of me having just flown in off the sea at 13.30pm

Also an estimate of the high 000s of other thrushes uncountable numbers, a bigger % Redwing. Quite a mind boggling sight.

Also 62 Brambling

Plus other Chiff, Crests and 4 Black Redstarts.

Birds were arriving all day and definately more Robins in the afternoon than the morning, maybe the Bluetail came sometime in the morning?

A quite remarkable day. Even with the thick fog!

All the best
Jon
Old Monday 22nd October 2012, 18:11   #18045
Locostella
Registered Member

Although I was at work I still managed to get out and see the Bluetail, thanks to my wonderful managers

Even though I have been in the office for the entire day, even the short drive to Stiffkey, race down to the Bluetail and the walk back with Norgate produced a massive amount of Thrushes. So many where piling over the road as I came past Stiffkey floods my attention was diverted for a second and I nearly slammed head on into a bus. Safe to say I won't be so easily distracted in future. The poor drives face was a picture, too.

Well done Mike and well done to Dave for some cracking shots, oh and Stuart.

Kieran
Old Monday 22nd October 2012, 18:33   #18046
firstreesjohn

I thought it might be a good day, when I opened my door and a Black Redstart flitted around the corner. It had reasonably discernible white wing-patches. Further investigation of some of The Esplanade and gardens gave Bramblings, Reed Buntings, Goldcrests- and hundreds of thrushes in/off.

Another location produced my first Ring Ouzels of the day- around a half-dozen- and more wheezy Bramblings.

What was planned as a short visit to Gramboro’, before going somewhere ‘good’, saw me spend a couple of hours, slowly going around and around- but not like a top. As my time there progressed, more and more birds appeared. The continuous invasion of thrushes continued (!). Here were p277 and half of p278 (most unfortunately the top half) of the Collin’s Guide. Another half-dozen Rousels, Bramblings, 20 or so Robins, a similar number of Goldecrests, a male Blackcap, 4 Chiffchaffs (Vince H gripped my with a Redstart). I found it unusual to hear the rattling of Mistle Thrushes, obviously migrants. (I was to hear these in several places.)

Driving west towards Warham Greens, I’d just gone through Stiffkey when a timely fone call (thank you, Mark) alerted me to the Bluetail. My new ‘phone is not easy to hear, when in my jacket pocket, and I might have gone much further, before I looked at the pager- which is even softer. Well done to Mike S for spotting this nice bird, which I hope to be the harbinger of more Sibe lovelies.

The westernmost track at Warham Greens and a ½ mile west on the Coast Path gave more Rousels, but little else.

What a day ! The magic of thousands of thrushes in and out of foggy visibility; the seeping, trilling and other thrushy calls; the anticipation of something mega around the corner. October came alive today.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	023pse.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	306.9 KB
ID:	410787  Click image for larger version

Name:	143pse.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	293.0 KB
ID:	410790  Click image for larger version

Name:	066pse.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	308.6 KB
ID:	410791  Click image for larger version

Name:	203pse.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	356.4 KB
ID:	410793  
Specific Area Research Done; Observations Not Initially Confirmed (SARDONIC)
Old Monday 22nd October 2012, 18:38   #18047
David Norgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert S J Smith View Post
Half a Hawfinch!?!...Interesting! Tell me more... ;o)
I nearly made a comment about that, but thought someone else would pick up on it, so thanks!

Any more infomation about the OBP?
Old Monday 22nd October 2012, 18:43   #18048
Bittern2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolkringer View Post
Hi all
A rare away day gave me a chance to get to Blakeney Point, 08.30-14.30 produced one of my most exciting migration days in 20 years of birding.
Guess I picked the wrong day to walk to the Point.

And I can't get out birding till Sunday now..Fiddlesticks.

But it sounds like it's been a great day for many birders on the coast.

Regards

Steve
Old Monday 22nd October 2012, 18:45   #18049
ben_lewis

Incredible morning at Waxham today. As others have said the thrush movement was very impressive, like none I have seen before, every step in the dunes saw 10's of thrushes fly off from the ground as well as having 100's flying in-off seemingly constantly forming huge flocks. The bushes just North of the pipe dump help thousands of redwings and fieldfares. An amazing sight and sound!
One of the best mornings birding for ages and the highlights were just 1 black-red, 8+ Rouzels and a few Bramblings..
Doesn't always take rarities to make a good morning, so glad I had the day off!
Old Monday 22nd October 2012, 18:50   #18050
Robert S J Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Norgate View Post
I nearly made a comment about that, but thought someone else would pick up on it, so thanks!

Any more infomation about the OBP?
OBP sat in tree out side the visitor centre like a babe then dropped down onto the deck = no sign since...
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: