• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

autumn migration thread (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
A little early perhaps,but maybe we should start an autumn migration thread
for members to post the subtle begginings of autumn/winter migration?

no doubt the most visible signs will come at the end of july,with waders
such as returning dunlin,sanderling etc on the coast?

as usuall inland sites might take longer to produce passage goodies.

personally...i'm hoping for much better sightings this coming migration period
seeing as last spring was such a non event :flyaway:

matt

[QUOTE

personally...i'm hoping for much better sightings this coming migration period

matt[/QUOTE]

I was just thinking the same Matt,can't wait for them to start coming back through,hopefully in greater numbers

The first two Teal arrived back last week, along with a passing Gargany and Greenshank.
Its when the Swifts leave that it hits home though!.

alan_rymer said:
The first two Teal arrived back last week, along with a passing Gargany and Greenshank.
Its when the Swifts leave that it hits home though!.

I always feel the same about the swifts Alan. This year I'm going to try and head off South for a week to catch a Winter 'fix' of swifts.

Chris

i had about 30 culew flying towards the coast over the M58 on monday and about half an hour ago had 2 over the garden

Autumn passage has been well underway even in deepest Leics/Rutland for a couple of weeks already. Rutland Water has been producing up to 15 Ruff, 11 Green Sandpipers, 23+ Black-tailed Godwits, odd records of mainly dodgey Wood Sandpipers (why do people have such difficulty identifying adult Green Sands?), the first Pintail last Friday, increasing numbers of ducks, and so on.

Steve

I was on Birdguides the other day planning some migration holiday for the East Coast and I used their excellent "Birdmap" on various dates in early and mid September through the years.

One thing that jumped out at me was, along with the obvious east coast bias, a large number of migratory sightings along the line of the Trent and the surrounding areas as far west as Staffordshire.

This could be fairly well known to a lot of birders but it got me thinking as to whether the Trent is a well-used / accidental navigation tool for migrating birds in both spring and summer, that is relatively underwatched.

Check Birdguides Birdmap for historical sightings and see what I mean.

It would also explain why the likes of Nottingham has so many top species found at such an unlikely non-coastal location.

Recent top birds which, off the top of my head, have been discovered in the vicinity of the Trent Valley:

Belted Kingfisher (which was seen at opposite ends of the River in successive days)
Little Swift
Sora
Bufflehead
Redhead/Canvasback
Blyth's Pipit

Finally, the Trent merges with the Ouse near Blacktoft and ends up at which coastal location ?

Any thoughts ?

The Black-Headed Grossbeaks have already left. Been seeing a few dowitchers on the mudflats. The Heermann's Gulls are coming back from Mexico now.

Slow down

Autumn used to be my favorite time of year, now where I live it just means we are closer to winter. For every bird that leaves to go back down south it leaves one less for me. Soon I will be left with my friends the Ravens, I'm lucky they're so entertaining.
So here in the soon to be great white north we are starting to see the kids. The Canada and Snow Geese should be flying in a couple of weeks, we are seeing fleglings of all kinds many many gulls, the arctic terns are still sitting on the nests and I haven't noticed any missing species. The warblers are usually the next to leave after the male ducks and they are still here. We actually saw a lesser yellowlegs the other day putting on a courtship display on top of a spruce tree (confused?)
So slow down on the wishing for autumn and remember those of us that must suffer with an empty winter sky until the spring when it comes alive again.
Rhonda

Rhonda said:
Autumn used to be my favorite time of year, now where I live it just means we are closer to winter. For every bird that leaves to go back down south it leaves one less for me. Soon I will be left with my friends the Ravens, I'm lucky they're so entertaining.
So here in the soon to be great white north we are starting to see the kids. The Canada and Snow Geese should be flying in a couple of weeks, we are seeing fleglings of all kinds many many gulls, the arctic terns are still sitting on the nests and I haven't noticed any missing species. The warblers are usually the next to leave after the male ducks and they are still here. We actually saw a lesser yellowlegs the other day putting on a courtship display on top of a spruce tree (confused?)
So slow down on the wishing for autumn and remember those of us that must suffer with an empty winter sky until the spring when it comes alive again.
Rhonda

I was looking forward to emigrating to Canada. I'm not so sure now. Are you really far North or something?

Chris :eek!:

SW Northumberland (inland site)

Small groups of feeding Hirundines and Swifts passing slowly east along River South Tyne durng the week. There are noticeably less Hirundines and Swifts in area.

Most Curlews and Lapwings have now left the hills here in the N. Pennines and there are gatherings of Lapwings at some of the upland Loughs (300+ at Grindon)

Common Sandpiper still present though fewer than last week.

Curlew and Golden Plover heard passing overhead several nights during week.

Stewart

Ignore the location at left - I'm in southern Taiwan at the moment.

I had the first two waders of my trip here yesterday: a couple of little ringed plovers. They were on a flooded vacant lot next to our plant here. I'm not sure if they're residents or migrants, but I suspect the latter.

The rice paddies behind the plant were good for shorebirds in April, so I'm guessing if things pick up in the next few days, I might see a few more before I leave on friday.

Edit: I just went out to take a look before I left for the day. Three stilts and a couple wood sands were out in the rice fields.

Jeff

Last edited:
Well, I saw what other members believed to be a Sharp-Shinned Hawk, which is a winter bird here, although he may have been staying the whole year.

I saw big numbers of Whimbrels leaving southern Iceland on Saturday. On Monday the auks had virtually all left the cliffs (one Brünnich's Guillemot with chick, half a a dozen Common Guillemot with chicks), whilst last week there were still plenty, and tonight I went for a walk in the mountains around Reykjavik and the hills were alive with the sound of...no in fact they weren't, they were silent. The waders which breed so commonly in the hills are now down by the coast, massing for departure. It also gets dark at night now, a sure sign summer is rapidly ending.

E

Recently having Red-Winged Blackbirds and Brown-Headed Cowbirds at my feeder. First time I've had the latter, plus I read that these species migrate with grackles in mixed flocks.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back