• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another morning's birding on the Isle of Man (1 Viewer)

Now Now Malvo, Dont spit the dummy you know its not in the interest of harmony or anything else! if we all agreed with each other these forums would be dead boring wouldn't they? as long as we remain civil a little banter is not a problem.

Dear CJW,

Thank you so much for allowing me to accompany you on your morning walk. Quite serendipiditious really as I was unable to take mine.
I printed your letter, laid out the atlas and bird book on the piano, and spent a delightful hour or more in your company.

To the next time you care to take me.
Yours etc:
Gordon Boreham-Styffe.

Thank you all for your kind comments - I think next time I write a piece like that I won't describe any of the birds! It gets me into too much trouble!
In all honesty though, and it is probably wrong of me to say so, I for one won't miss MV. This is the second time our paths have crossed.........
(CJ counts to ten and calms down)......

How many people have THOROUGHLY ENJOYED THIS .........

(IF) the organisers/ moderator(s) of this Birdforum have succeded in "Chasing Off" the VERY knowledgeable MV, then we are ALL (even those of you on the IOM) LOSiNG OUT.

To cut a long thread short,
Someones (A) said they've seen a bird
Someone else (B) questions their ident as they have a greater factual knowledge of the bird species
(A) gets upset at being challenged
(B) persists as his Questions

If some of you middle-of-the roaders are going to get upset at INTERESTiNG & JUiCY THREADS then dont read them.

If " you " start sending people to stand in the corner then you'll have a quite sterile environment.

(THERE AGAiN..... just... may-beeee..... MV could be on the BF payroll.......mmmm..?)

Going tonite to try & locate a Barn Owl nest site, have seen the pair hunting but no-one knows where nest site is..

Steve Evans.

Very apt reply in my opinion.Steviewol.
Conspiracy theory notwithstanding,I invariably found MV's postings interesting.
They also seemed to be authoritative.
Birdforum will be reduced in interest if Posters are 'moderated Off' prematurely and for no apparent reason.
Finally,I'm not surprised that CJW will not miss MV.

I've not seen anybody drive MV off. MV took issue with an ID in CJW's article. Some felt that MV was more forthright in his opinions than he should have been. If that is MV's style then he shouldn't be surprised if people get wound up by it.

Aloso if people don't like his style then don't read what he says - filter him out. If you click on MV's profile you can add him to an 'ignore' list. Though personally I never filter anyone on any board.

I think that MV is being rather 'precious' walking off because a couple of people have themselves got all 'precious'.

Just to clarify what I think (rightly) annoyed MV (and myself for that matter) was receiving a PM from a moderator asking us to not post anything unless it would add to thread. Well excuse me! Who's bl***y thread was it in the first place? On reflection and now that I've had a few hours to calm down again, I think it is a shame that MV has thrown his toys out of the pram and departed (I hope/expect him to be back - Terminator 4?).

I doubt it, Andrew. I'm a pacifist and MV hates celebrities (see "What winds you up" thread). I wonder how he feels about becoming a bit of one (celebrity, that is) himself?

One of the main reasons that BIRDFORUM is prospering is that it’s moderated. For (as far as I know) the first time the moderators have had to step in and warn a contributor about their approach (warn not ban). Many Usenet newsgroups have degenerated over time as contributors (usually anonymous) with over-inflated egos bounce insults off each other day after day. It’s been like this for a long time, 19th Century naturalists were constantly at each others throats, “The Heyday of Natural History” by Lynn Barber is essential reading and gives entertaining accounts of the subject. Unfortunately the Internet allows these spats to take place in public, in almost real time rather than in the pages of an appropriate publication over a period of months or years. Additionally anonymous postings in these newsgroups by all manner of weirdoes has rendered them unusable for many people, uk.rec.birdwatching is no place for kids or the fainthearted! The only alternative is moderated Groups. BIRDFORUM members range from absolute beginners right through to real experts – even Ornithologists! So please remember folks.

It’s nice to be important but it’s important to be nice!

Tony Usher
http://www.10X50.com

It's not the first time Tony, I remember an occasion when two contributors were going at it hammer and tongues back in June (see Mystery Grey Shrike on the Isle of Man thread).
The two contributors? That'll be me and MV then!

I think you'll find the expression is actually 'hammer and tongs'
but in this instance,who knows?
So uplifting to evidence your jubilation at having seen off MV,although not with force of argument.

Look MV will be back, and as for Moderation in a year I have banned three members and a Moderator, we have deleted 17 out of nearly 50,000 post's, and CJW will tell you that I have personally been involved in all the argumentative threads and always tried gently to steer them back on course, and Mr Grousemore just so you know where Im coming from, The banned Moderator was about to get heavy with you over a thread a little while ago, just because you disagreed with him.
It is a thankless unpaid job that requires time and patience, all the moderators do what They think is right at the time, they try to get it right and mostly do, so when you disagree them try to see both sides of the story.

I've no wish to fall out with you,Steve,particularly as I perceive you are the person who runs this show.
My only reason for commenting on the demise of MV was that I invariably found his contributions to birding issues informative and interesting,which surely is relevant to a site like this.
The subsequent euphoria from the Manx contingent was,in my opinion,unnecessary.
As far as 'banned Moderators' are concerned,I know nothing,but thank you for preventing him from getting heavy with me!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back