• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where do all your binoculars go? (1 Viewer)

Tero

Retired
United States
Hello Michael,
Yes and er...no, this was quite a few years ago and doesn't refer to the latest waterproof HR models, can't remember the FOV but I'm pretty sure it was around about the 'normal' 6º or so. I eventually bought a pair of Nikon 8x32HG's but the Opticrons are still on a shelf in the cupboard (along with the other 20 or so pairs of bins)
HTH

Nick
This was a discussion under Swift binoculars.

Many of us have these under $100 binoculars or really old ones that are not really eBayable, unless you sell a combined lot, 10 pairs.

So, what do you do with all the old ones? I looked in the closet, there were some 10 boxes on the shelf, empty, containing all the warranty papers. Some of the binoculars I have given away to local nature centers, one I sent to a Finn with some books. I gave one to my librarian, a 7x.

Where do yours go?

Last edited:
binos

Tero said:
This was a discussion under Swift binoculars.

Many of us have these under $100 binoculars or really old ones that are not really eBayable, unless you sell a combined lot, 10 pairs.

So, what do you do with all the old ones? I looked in the closet, there were some 10 boxes on the shelf, empty, containing all the warranty papers. Some of the binoculars I have given away to local nature centers, one I sent to a Finn with some books. I gave one to my librarian, a 7x.

Where do yours go?

Same as you , I give them away .

Paul.

The RSPB take them - I think they pass them on to kids in Africa and elsewhere. Can't remember exactly, but there was a small article about the scheme in last month's Birdwatching magazine.

I'm fairly new to obsessive compulsive collecting, so I've only disposed of a couple so far. One was donated to the RSPB. The other I've just now sold on eBay, but though I covered their cost, it was hardly worth it, considering the time spent (obsessively and compulsively) preparing the auction.

Michael.

Gave a pair of old Swifts to the RSPB at Minsmere.

"Since it began in 1985, the RSPB's second-hand binocular scheme has provided almost 11,000 pieces of optical equipment to conservation and education projects in more than 90 countries."

RSPB binoculars scheme - linky

Get them out your cupboards and donate them. You know it makes sense! :)

If they have been very, very good little binoculars they go to binocular heaven! But if they have been naughty little binoculars, they go to a bad place where their glass is melted down in fire!

Bob
High Priest of "The Order of the Bin."

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back