• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any South Waleans Out there? (1 Viewer)

Ageinghippie

Hello,

Having moved from Derbyshire to Pembrokeshire just over 12mths ago, now retired decided to improve my knowledge of birds, also take my photography further.
I live in Penycwm Between Newgale Beach and Solva.

Can anyone suggest any places to visit, I know the popular sites Skomer etc.
I am not adverse to driving to visit places, I believe there are Red Kites,
somewhere around Brecon.

Anyone There seems to be a lack of input from South Wales on this site.

Mike from Ebbw is the only one I have seen

Cheers

Les

Hello Les
there are a few of us around who post on, or at least keep an eye on bird forum.
For local information try the Gwent ornithology website then follow the links to the pembrokeshire bird group blog. Lots of info there re birds around where you live.
You will get kites much nearer than Brecon and lots of photographic opportunities all round. Good luck john O'

COME ON IRELAND ( half time at present)

Red Kites at Gigrin farm near Rhayader mid wales. About 200 to 300 of them visit at feeding time. I think it's 2pm in winter and 3pm in the summer. Dirt cheap to get in £3.00 all day. Also there are Buzzards and ravens.

JimMorris said:
Hi Les

Here are a couple of photos taken at Gigrin farm.

Jim,

Good Photo's.

Gigrin about 100mile from me, but think it will be worth a trip, are there any amenities there ie cafe, as it will be a family day, wife and 2 dogs, Anne my wife not into Photography, and will get fed up.
When I mentioned it to her, her first words

IS THERE A CAFE.

Cheers

Les

Link to my first Buzzard Pohto
www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/125030/sort/1/cat/500/page/1

Last edited:
Hi Les
There is a small shop that does teas and ice cream and a viewing area in the farm and a hotel with a nice patio area just down the road, you can always send the wife off for a walk with the dogs while your taking photos.

I love the photo of the buzzard, I'm surprised you didn't poke its eye out with the lens. Have a good day out at Gigrin.

Jim

JimMorris said:
Hi Les
There is a small shop that does teas and ice cream and a viewing area in the farm and a hotel with a nice patio area just down the road, you can always send the wife off for a walk with the dogs while your taking photos.

I love the photo of the buzzard, I'm surprised you didn't poke its eye out with the lens. Have a good day out at Gigrin.

Jim

Thanks Jim,
Should now be able to go.
Buzzard photo, bird sat top of telgraph pole, original photos taken from car window, think if i had got out he would have flow, taken with 70-300 sigma.
the photo is a 800x600 crop, was trying out different cropping ways, quite pleased of how this came out.

Les

Pembrokeshire is my favourite county, and we have been visiting there for some years for vacations.

We usually stay in either the Saundersfoot or Broad Haven area. I tend to head for places like Deer park to see the chough and Marloes for the water fowl that visit the marshes. In addition I always visit the Gann estuary for the little egrets, curlews etc. Last time we were there, saw a female red breasted merganser. Just down the road in the next village (Dale) saw black redstart and a late little tern hunting over the sea.

The only problem is that there are too many places to fit into a family week's holiday. :stuck:

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back