• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (1 Viewer)

Here's a progress report of the middle spotted woodpecker, a first version that turned out to be a bit boring, and (rare for me these days) a pure watercolour that I'm quite pleased with. Having trouble typing as I'm on the phone speaking French and typing English, stop typing now, add pictures.

Attachments

• zerfgh 001.jpg
    zerfgh 001.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 244
  • zerfgh 003.jpg
    zerfgh 003.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 238
The woodies are very nice. I actually like the first one a huge amount - when you say it's boring, do you mean comp. colour. design or what? - maybe you should allow one of the swelling buds a bit of licence and break open into sap-green leaf. May add that bit of something you're looking for?
And what's the problem with talking French and typing English??? - tut! kids of today - I regularly scream an obscene Yorkshire dialect at the girls whilst coherently typing boll*cks at the same time.

The thing I find boring in the first one is it just looks like a blurred photo, a bird in some branches. The second one, though it might not (can't) be everyone's cup of tea, has a lot more interest for me, there's a bit more intimacy with the bird, the first one I find has too much of an element of being a spectator.
I've no problem speaking French out of my mouth and English out of my a*se at the same time, but I think the typing part of my brain is linked to speech, as I ended up typing French and reading out what I had written to somebody who hadn't a clue what I was on about.

I think I see what you mean Nick, although I would be proud of either of these pics. The second one does have the edge for me. The composition is masterful but then that's what we know to expect from any of your work. It also has wonderful colour, the red on the pecker's head really pops against the lilacs and blues.

Woody

I think I've hit the nail on the head with the first one, as to why I don't like it. The buds are virtually everywhere, filling up every available gap and making the background look more like wallpaper. In the second pic, I deliberately decided on the composition of the branches first before slotting the woodpecker in the top.

Had an afternoon birding today, hoping to get a passing black stork, got just one passing black kite and a lot of buzzards, am tempted to post a sketch on the id forum pass it off as a bad photo of an 'unidentified' buzzard and see how many people try to count the primaries and turn it into a goose or something. Sketching wise, unproductive, a close flyover sparrowhawk may be turned into a picture. (The sketch of it, not the actual bird, that would be cruel and very difficult to do)

Still working on some new pictures, there's a water rail coming along slowly (not like me at all but lots of other work and driving lessons to distract me) Think tonight I'll crack open some cheap nasty wine, yum, and try and finish it.

I keep searching through older pictures to see if I can give them a new lease of life with a new coat of paint, the latest victim is this grey wagtail:
Grey Wagtail

I'm much happier with the bird now than its deformed predecessor:
Old deformed Grey Wagtail

Busy busy busy,

The music's up loud, the housework is done (or being ignored) and the paint is flowing (along with other interesting beverages - well, I'm not at work till Monday, let the good times roll)

New painting in progress, a water rail from my new year visit back to the UK and the old local patch of Belvide reservoir in Staffs. I won't tell you where he is in the picture as I'm going for it doing a vanishing at in the finished piece.

Also here is a pic of the artist in his 'dining room', bottles containing the necessary materials for painting are visiblein the background, along with a pack of ASDA malted milk biscuits lovingly sent cross channel by my mother. France is certainly lacking in the biscuit department, or am I just still too British at heart?

Attachments

• chailluzmarch.jpg
    chailluzmarch.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 226
  • chailluzmarch 011.jpg
    chailluzmarch 011.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 205
ps, If anyone's got any tips on painting dead reeds, I could do with them. I nearly always lose any spontaneity on them at the end of the piece, giving them all the allure and attractiveness of a botanical illustration.

Drink more is the piece of advice I'm following at the moment. Not sure it's the best plan. Maybe get off the computer and paint would work better?!

progress report:

this evening is turning into a p*ss up and not a painting session, I do promise however to post the resulting mess. Whatever it turns out like!

Still I'm having fun! yippeeeeee

I'm already finding that Rail piece rather exciting, Nick (wonderful rippling reflections, water can be such a tough thing to get right but you don't bat an eye).

nickderry said:
progress report:

this evening is turning into a p*ss up and not a painting session, I do promise however to post the resulting mess. Whatever it turns out like!

Still I'm having fun! yippeeeeee
Good for you Nick!B :)B :)

I've gotta go pick up my son from a party now so no booze for me! Hope you enjoy tomorrow morning too?!!!

Woody

Cheers guys, I'll probably still be up tomorrow morning, the only strategy to beat a hangover! Here's how it's coming along anyway - no real plan with it, just playing and waiting for more inspiration.

Attachments

• chailluzmarch 012.jpg
    chailluzmarch 012.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 212
It feels I am under the table now Arthur, maybe time to go to bed and see what it looks like when I wake up. Here's how it's looking now.

Going out birding tomorrow afternoon, hopefully Monday I'll be painting Black Woodpecker and Crag Martin.

Attachments

• chailluzmarch 013.jpg
    chailluzmarch 013.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 201
apologies to anyone that liked how it looked before, it was becoming more of a headache than my (reasonably mild considering) hangover.

Big brush, big mess, splash splash splash. It was starting to go into the realm of Michael Warren in his shoreline days (fantastic pictures), which wasn't the direction I wanted for this picture, I want something a bit more blurred around the edges.

Attachments

• chailluzmarch 014.jpg
    chailluzmarch 014.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 228
I love the effect of being drawn up the tunnel and when you darken the shade the the reflection and light on the water will be stunning. luck with your sketching too.

I almost left a post last night, but I thought the combination of me just returning from a FREE seafood buffet and copious quantities of alcohol, combined with the state you were clearly getting yourself in, would have made for a less-than lucid correspondence. So I left it til now - I like the way it's going, although I was sorry to see the detail disappear, but I know you'll bring something fresh to the piece.

This is how it's coming along, I just couldn't handle the detail today, so got rid of it for the moment. The picture needed to be brought all together before I could find somewhere to put the detail in. It'll come back though!

It looks like the tunnel vision that I wanted in the first draft has disappeared though, maybe it'll come back, otherwise, when I saw this rail, it wasn't happily sitting in the background, it was still on the run, just pausing to glance back over its shoulder. Hence why the bird is now bigger and more obvious.

Seafood buffets and alcohol are never good conversation partners, you did the right thing Tim!

Arthur, it looks like I will have good luck for sketching this PM, the French weather forecast of rain looks like a lie, the sun is out, it's lovely, seriously, they should content themselves on reporting the weather from yesterday rather than predict the weather for the next day. Fingers crossed for a crag martin or two! (would be a lifer!)

Attachments

• DSCF3096.JPG
    DSCF3096.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 218
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back