• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

National red squirel week. (1 Viewer)

pauco

Старлин&
May be of interest to some. the 13-21 september is this years
red squirel week. Formby point in Lancashire is a great site for
these little cuties, + some sea watching to add to a good,
weekend.
bert

Great place - my wife's sister live in Ormskirk and we always like to visit Formby when we are there. The red squirrels are great - shame we just the greys down here.

My sister lives (nearly) on the river front at Crosby, and had a red squirrel running along her garden wall a couple of months ago - I was SO envious. We visited her In January for a joint birthday celebration (12th and 14th), and of course went to see the red squirrels - we were surprised at how dark they were.

We also visited Martin Mere on a bitterly cold and icy day - we didn't know anything about the sort of birds there, but had bought a couple of leaflets - we huddled together looking at them, whispering things like "Oh yes, that's a number 2 in the picture - it must be an XYZ". It was great fun, but we felt a bit ignorant. It was amusing to see the birds "skating" - the weather had been really cold for some time. We were there at the time the swans were fed - a truly amazing sight and sound!!

Hi Elizabeth.
as your sister lives in crosby has she heard of the woodland
in or around that area that is supposed to hold a small group
of reds?. it was on the local news some time ago but I missed
the end that said where typical!!!.
As for martin mere, it really is a brill place to be in winter, when
the skiens of pink feet come in on a misty morning.
there are some very good hides with good views of raptors,
as you say the swan feed is amazing, you really want to get in another visit when you have time to spare.
bert

Hi Bert - she's never mentioned it, but I'll ask if she knows anything about it. I don't know when we shall be up there next - it's 230 miles, which is rather unfortunate. I'm a transplanted Lancastrian, having lived down south for 41 years now.

Thanks for that Elizabeth.
As you say its a long trip, 41 years now a true cockney? he he.
hope you get in some good birding down their.
bert

bert said:
Hi Elizabeth.
as your sister lives in crosby has she heard of the woodland
in or around that area that is supposed to hold a small group
of reds?. it was on the local news some time ago but I missed
the end that said where typical!!!.
As for martin mere, it really is a brill place to be in winter, when
the skiens of pink feet come in on a misty morning.
there are some very good hides with good views of raptors,
as you say the swan feed is amazing, you really want to get in another visit when you have time to spare.
bert

Hi Bert - this is the reply my sister sent:

I think the area he means is among housing in Blundellsands- there are several bits of woodland among the big houses where groups of squirrels live- my friend Jenny, who lives in St. Andrews drive by Manor Road school has them visiting her garden- she feeds them.

Hope this helps.

How's this then, at the garden centre where I work in Northumberland a red squirrel ran out onto the path in front of me square on almost as if he was challenging me, his legs splayed out at each corner and his bushy tail flicking and quivering.
Lots of birds nest at the centre and you sometimes find a nest pulled to pieces with the eggs and chicks gone. I suspect it to be him/her.

Hi Bert, have watched Red squirels in Northumberland, whilst on holiday, and down here in east anglia at thetford Forest.

They are very elusive but well worth the hunt.

Like Elizabeth I'm an escapee from Lancashire (only 10 years) but am now classed as a southern softie.

Going to Theford friday evening for a weekends camping so will keep eyes open for the Red's.

Trevor

Bert.
Visited formby & martin mere at the weekend.Spotted eight
or nine red squirrels,along the tracklines that run adjacent to
the pine forest.(been alot off fires there this year).Also went to
martin mere,they have recorded there earliest family off pink-
footed geese to arrive,two adults,three young,flew in 31st Aug,
usually they don't arrive until the middle part off September.
Regards
Jeff Taylor

Trevor Lee said:
Hi Bert, have watched Red squirels in Northumberland, whilst on holiday, and down here in east anglia at thetford Forest.

They are very elusive but well worth the hunt.

Like Elizabeth I'm an escapee from Lancashire (only 10 years) but am now classed as a southern softie.

Trevor

NOT an escapee Trevor, a refugee! That's what happens when you meet a "southern softie" at Manchester University!! Many reasons for the emigration - but now my sons and grandchildren are within 70 miles, I have no thoughts of returning. Contrary to what Bert said in an earlier message, I am definitely NOT a cockney now, having lived in Berkshire, Hampshire and (mainly) Surrey. I had the misfortune to be born in London (Palmers Green), but that was not MY fault. My father claimed that I was born a Cockney, but the wind would have to be very strong to carry the sound of Bow Bells as far as that.

In fact half of me is descended from the Lancashire witches, and the other half shared between Scotland and Cornwall - ie I'm a mongrel!!

Elizabeth Bigg said:

In fact half of me is descended from the Lancashire witches, and the other half shared between Scotland and Cornwall - ie I'm a mongrel!!

I think most of us are mongrels, whatever we like to believe. My Dad was born in Edge Hill, Liverpool, yet he lived for 7 years from the age of 2 in Portsmouth, and so spoke with southern accent, despite the fact that his family then moved back to Liverpool when he was 9, and all his brothers and sisters speak with a broad scouse accent.

His Grandparents were a combination of Welsh, Irish and Scottish. My Mums grandparents were Scottish and English, so what does all that make me? Don't answer that........

Colin

Mongrels are always the most intelligent though Colin!

By the way, if you are of Northern European origin you can tell if you are predominantly of Celtic or Scandinavian/Anglo Saxon origin surprisingly by the shape of your heel bone!

I think I can tell my predominat line by the fact that the Celtic peoples (male) tend not to lose their hair as they get older, just greyer. Guess that's not me then!

That's interesting Steve - when I was at university, one of my friends in hall was doing a geography degree, and on one occasion took various measurements of my head, and also noted my eye, hair and skin colours. When she entered these facts into some sort of table, I turned out to be more Celtic than anything else - presumably the Cornish and Scottish influence.

HI Elizabeth.
many thanks to your sister for her info, and you for your post.
you sound like your happy in exile.
bert

HI Jeff.
that is early for the pinkfeet, I am hoping to get to martin mere
this sat, and then to mere sands wood. and with a bit of luck
marshside RSPB. thanks for the news of the pinkfeet, who knows
there may be more about.
bert.

sadly red squirrels in my local area have been virtually wiped out as a result of parapoxvirus. Four years ago the population was healthy then all of a sudden they were gone in no time, tragically. Only a very few survivors remain, but for how much longer ? Greys carry the virus but are immune to it whereas reds sadly are not. Haven't seen any for approaching two years whereas in the past you could see three to five at any one time feeding on peanuts in the thornley woodlands feeding station. Great days indeed but only memories now. The damage that man can do.....

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back