• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Subcategories (1 Viewer)

stronzo

How do you set up a subcategory? It would make life easier when you want to see everything for a particular country.

I have got as far as putting a link to a category at the bottom of the page, but I can not figure how to make the page for the category(does that make any sense?)

Mark

Last edited:
Ok, I have managed to link it to Italy/Europe. But personally I would like Italy split into regions rather than Alphabet.. So Any help on how to do that?
:-C
Mark

There's not really such a thing as a 'subcategory' as the Opus categories are not 'hierachal'. You can think of them more as a giant interlinking web.

To create a category, just add [[Category:Category Name]] at the bottom of the page you are editing. It will then show up in the category list at the bottom of the page, in orange if it does not yet exist, or blue if it does. If you then click the category name, it will take you to the edit page for that category. You should then categorise that category! For example, if you just created a category for an italian region, you would then probably add [[Category:Italy]] to that page. If Italy doesn't exist, you'd need to create that, and so on. Note that with regions, it would be best to add the country name after in brackets eg Blah (Italy) so that people searching can easily tell if it's what they're looking for or not.

Hope that helps.

A question that is to some extent related: I have added a page on the Lesser Antilles, which was added using the Add location link. Now, there is already in existance a page called "Caribbean" with several existing subcatogories listed. If I click Edit on the page named Caribbean, I dont see where the other subcategories are defined, and I therefore don't know how to add one more. I am looking for an explanation on how to do that, or if you need a special permit, for someone to do the task.
Thanks
Niels

A question that is to some extent related: I have added a page on the Lesser Antilles, which was added using the Add location link. Now, there is already in existance a page called "Caribbean" with several existing subcatogories listed. If I click Edit on the page named Caribbean, I dont see where the other subcategories are defined, and I therefore don't know how to add one more. I am looking for an explanation on how to do that, or if you need a special permit, for someone to do the task.
Thanks
Niels

You would create the new category in the way described above, and simply set the category of that page to be [[Category:Caribbean]]. Then it would show up on the Caribbean category page.

OK, got it. There are things in this system that works differently from what I would have expected, don't hope you all feel I am too dense ;)

Niels

OK, got it. There are things in this system that works differently from what I would have expected, don't hope you all feel I am too dense ;)

Niels

Not at all, happy to help :) It does work almost 'backwards' - you always state the 'parent(s)' rather than the child categories - working 'up' the category list if you like.

Hi Mark,
I always get a chuckle out of your moniker when I see it. Self-descriptive?

I suppose it is really, never thought about it. Here I get fed up of explaining it is not short for Marco. It is also surprising the amount of people that can say Marco, but can not say Marco senza 'O'. 3:)

I think I would like a more thorough explanation of what the purpose of category pages is. Under locations, there is a category "Caribbean". The other day I wrote a page on "Lesser Antilles", and put in the little thing to set it as belonging to the category Caribbean. I had expected it would appear in the list of subcategories, but instead it appears in a new list of Articles. Today I wrote something on Dominica, into which I put the marker for it belonging to Caribbean, and it then became another Article mentioned on that page. I also tried to put in [category|Lesser Antilles] expecting it to show up in there as a link as well; however, instead, the "category|lesser antilles" thing was in orange indicating that no category for Lesser Antilles existed.

Now, I can live with putting in regular links back and forth between pages, I am just curious, what is the purpose with having a category Caribbean page? Can a page be both a category and a text page? Am I completely off the rocker here?

thanks
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back