• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1.4x extender query (1 Viewer)

canonman77

United Kingdom
Hi guys, my recent camera gear is 7d mk2 with canon 100-400 mk2, now I’ve heard from a few places that this setup with a 1.4x extender will autofocus at F8. Is it just the mk3 1.4x extender that will do this & which focus points are active when used & what’s the quality like?. Apologies if this question as been asked, which I’m sure it has.

Regards
Sean

I have the same gear and a mk iii 1.4 tc. Apparently, the mk iii is designed for use (inter alia) with the 100-400 mk ii. It will autofocus at f8 with a centre spot and four focus points. I found it quite good for static objects but I also found it difficult to lock on for BIF. This was probably my technique but even when I did, the results were not that great. So, I have again put the tc back in the drawer, and crop images instead.

Looking to see if things improve with the R5/6 using an extender and keeping an eye on reviews and DPReviews and Fred Miranda.

Colin

Use the same set up and almost always with the 1.4 on. BIF can be tricky but then can be without it ;) don't really need more than 4 point lock as when too many are selected the ficus can jump a bit when tracking the subject so makes no odds to me

Cheers guys, looks like I’m shelling out some more pennies for the mk3 1.4x extender, it’s quite expensive though don’t you think. Thanks again

Sean

Surely it's the camera not the extender that dictates what is achievable. My 5D4 can use all available AF points on this combination but the 7D2 can't. I used to have a 1.4Mk2 and swopped it for a Mk3 and I didn't notice any difference in image quality at all, can't comment on whether it makes a difference to AF at f8 though I'm afraid. Can't see why it should do to be honest.

That’s the dilemma I’ve got because there’s also a big difference in price, so basically the 1.4x mk2 will AF at f8 on a 7d mk2 attached to canons 100-400 mk2.

Sean

That’s the dilemma I’ve got because there’s also a big difference in price, so basically the 1.4x mk2 will AF at f8 on a 7d mk2 attached to canons 100-400 mk2.

Sean

I would think it does but only giving you centre and expanded centre point the same as the Mk3 would give you, however, I'm guessing so why not ring a dealer who has one for sale and can try it, or even Canon themselves.
The TC will give extra reach and a sharp image but don't expect it to capture BIF easily, it will be a bit slow to auto focus but can be done!
My own findings were that I saw no real gain from the 1.4Mk 3 over the Mk2 but others might disagree. The improvements were electrical not optical so I'm led to believe.

You do not need the MkIII 1.4x tc to be able to AF with the 7D2 + 100/400 MkII combo. Centre point plus 4 expansion points are available with the Mk I or MkII 1.4 x extenders.
I have tried the combo with both the MkII and MkIII 1.4x extenders and they both work equally well in both AF speed and IQ IMHO.
The MkIII extenders were made specifically for the latest versions of the big white primes which have electronics which increases AF speed - the 100-400 MkII does not have these electronics.
I agree with Dave that there is no real gain from the 1.4x Mk3 over the 1.4x mkII.

Last edited:
You do not need the MkIII 1.4x tc to be able to AF with the 7D2 + 100/400 MkII combo. Centre point plus 4 expansion points are available with the Mk I or MkII 1.4 x extenders.
I have tried the combo with both the MkII and MkIII 1.4x extenders and they both work equally well in both AF speed and IQ IMHO.
The MkIII extenders were made specifically for the latest versions of the big white primes which have electronics which increases AF speed - the 100-400 MkII does not have these electronics.
I agree with Dave that there is no real gain from the 1.4x Mk3 over the 1.4x mkII.

Thanks for clarifying that Roy, I thought that would be the case.
Interestingly though, you used to be able to stack the 1.4 and 2.0x Mk 2 versions but not the Mk3's . I wasn't impressed with the results , they made an f4 lens f11 and the results were too soft to be worth keeping imo so no loss that you are no longer able to.

Thanks for clarifying that Roy, I thought that would be the case.
Interestingly though, you used to be able to stack the 1.4 and 2.0x Mk 2 versions but not the Mk3's . I wasn't impressed with the results , they made an f4 lens f11 and the results were too soft to be worth keeping imo so no loss that you are no longer able to.
I had some reasonable results with the 300/2.8 IS + 1.4x and 2.0 x giving 840mm at f8 (1344mm fov on my 1.6x cropper) but it was certainly not a combo for everyday use.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back