• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

100-400 mark ii - Tripod Mount (1 Viewer)

dandsblair

David and Sarah
Supporter
I really like the optical quality of new lens but I have to say on my copy the Tripod Mount - to ring attachment is pretty rubbish and when you examine it it looks like a cheap after thought.

After 1 week of using the lens on a monopod/tripod the 4 screws that retain the black plate that the Tripod Mount Foot screws into to had worked free, at first it was just a little bit of shake but after a further day it worked itself totally loose. I missed shots of Fraser eagle Owl posing nicely because I couldn't steady the camera (well annoyed).
As I didn't have a small phillips screwdriver with me, i had to tighten the screws as best I could with a pen knife but that would only hold for a half day session before it needed tightening again and after an hour on the canopy walkway at Kakum (very bouncy) but without even mounting the camera / lens it fell off (fortuately caught it with all the screws rather than had it fall 140M to the forest floor but paint also came off the mount foot.
I contacted Canon who want me to return the lens for repair but as it is Optically great, much better in my view than 100-400 Mark i or my copy of 400 I'm wary of sending it back and having to go back to my back-up for a while.

I could I suppose just glue the screws in and touch up the paint but I assume that would invalidate the lens warranty.

Has anyone else had problems with the Tripod Mount ?
If so what did you do?

I don't own the lens myself but may have a solution for you,go down to your local model shop or halfords and get some threadlock.dab a little on the screw,you will still be able to remove the plate ,it'll just be held a little firmer.

Cheers.

Steve.

That would be my suggestion too. Some Loctite Blue should stop the screws working loose under normal use but will still be removable for a service.

Routinely use locktite on new Gitzo tripod / monopod feet as they just unscrew themselves and lost one within 3 hours of taking it out the first time. Never had a problem since.

Following dandsblair's post, I too have a problem with the tripod foot on the new 100-400mm (a brilliant lens and very sharp - imo). It has worked loose and now I cannot either screw it down or up. I suppose it will have to go to Canon, but I am reluctant to part with it for any length of time.

Following dandsblair's post, I too have a problem with the tripod foot on the new 100-400mm (a brilliant lens and very sharp - imo). It has worked loose and now I cannot either screw it down or up. I suppose it will have to go to Canon, but I am reluctant to part with it for any length of time.

Sounds like you've stripped the thread.B :)

Steve.

As I dropped my new lens and broke the foot off I have now taken the rest of the collar off ,to do that I had to drill several small holes in the collar opposite to were the foot was to weaken it, then I pulled the 2 broken ends apart this then fractured it at the drill hole site allowing it to come off completely .

To add a Tripod collarI got one from Hong Kong £13.50 it's for the 70/300 L the screws on the barrel were there to hold or guide the original collar they just unscrew with a small Phillips screw driver .The new one is 3mm to small but a 4mm hole drilled were it come's together gives that 3mm back and lets it fit so I now have a stronger and removable collar .

Rob.

As I dropped my new lens and broke the foot off I have now taken the rest of the collar off ,to do that I had to drill several small holes in the collar opposite to were the foot was to weaken it, then I pulled the 2 broken ends apart this then fractured it at the drill hole site allowing it to come off completely .

To add a Tripod collarI got one from Hong Kong £13.50 it's for the 70/300 L the screws on the barrel were there to hold or guide the original collar they just unscrew with a small Phillips screw driver .The new one is 3mm to small but a 4mm hole drilled were it come's together gives that 3mm back and lets it fit so I now have a stronger and removable collar .

Rob.

Drastic action Rob!

Possible solution

Sounds like you've stripped the thread.B :)

Steve.

If it is problem I had then, it may be the black retaing plate hasn't come completely free but is so unstable that you can't screw the foot either way. I had something similar and I pushed down on the screw as it suggests in the manual and it turned a bit, enough to the then shake the screws and plate completely free from the ring and then hold the retaining plate to get the foot off.

If you do get it off, I applied thread stuff I got from Halford's on Sunday and it seems to work. Don't know why it wasn't delivered secured like that ?

David

I'm following this thread with interest. Firstly I would think that the thread/holding screw would have been designed so that it could not easily be stripped (Stevo). I am not particularly strong isn the fingers at 81 however it could be possible. I just wonder if WD40 or similar 9and a friend with very strong fingers would help without damaging the paint or compounding the problem. Fortunately the play is not preventing me using the camera on one of GYRob's superb gimbal heads.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back