• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x alphas with good eye relief (1 Viewer)

BoldenEagle

Finland
Hello,

I currently have Swarovski SLC 10x56 HD which has enough eye relief for my glasses and has also optically really nothing to whine about.

Why I might consider getting a new binocular would be because I would need more near focus (about 2m would be very good), could carry something less heavy and preferably wouldn't have to send my binocular once in three years to be fixed because of falling rubber armouring.

So in a summary: which alphas would be optically at least as good as SLC's but would offer those properties mentioned above? Again I want to highlight that I find SLC's optically quite perfect and VERY easy to look through all day long; I wouldn't expect nothing less in that regard. Well, I'm ready to give up some light gathering as I could go for 42mm objectives.

I have tried or owned Swarovski EL 10x42, 10x50, Nikon EDG 10x42 and Zeiss Conquest 10x42 HD (well maybe not an alpha but maybe the best in 1k€ class). All of those fall short (more or less) for decent eye relief for comfort viewing with my glasses, so they are ruled out already (otherwise I maybe would have picked EL 10x50 already).

Would Zeiss Victory SF 10x42 or Leica Noctivid 10x42 fullfill my needs? Do they have as easy and comfortable view as 10x56 SLC's?

Regards,

Juhani

I find that I need around 18mm or so ER with my glasses. With most Alpha bins listing 20mm of ER, I do in fact find that I'm actually backing the eyecups of all of them out by the exact same 2mm or so, regardless of objective size. This goes for Swaros as well as the SF.

I'd have to stretch the memory, but I recall the A-K 10x56 SLC was exactly the same too.

The only bin that is going to match it optically would be the 10x50 SV.

You could try the newer, smaller, 10x42 NL Pure which despite the 4.2mm EP, offers a very nice 133m Fov.

Chosun 🙅‍♀️

I find that I need around 18mm or so ER with my glasses. With most Alpha bins listing 20mm of ER, I do in fact find that I'm actually backing the eyecups of all of them out by the exact same 2mm or so, regardless of objective size. This goes for Swaros as well as the SF.

I'd have to stretch the memory, but I recall the A-K 10x56 SLC was exactly the same too.

Yes, I also have to lift SLC's eyecups just about 1mm to get the best comfort since there seems to be point where I can avoid blackouts while having full field of view.

In my experience those eye relief values declared by manufacturers (stands even different models by the same manufacturer!) are theoretical and don't take into account the eyecup edges; I think that's why EL 10x50 is not usable for me allthough it should have even more eye relief than SLC (20mm vs 19.5mm if I remember correct).

So I need at least 18-19mm if calibrated by what SLC's are claimed to have and what they really in practise offer.

Juhani

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back