• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x32 roof for under 500$, any recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
My son is looking for an upgrade in his binoculars. He is not a birder, and he does not use his binoculars all that often. Nevertheless, he and his wife were thinking that something like our old Zeiss Victory 10x40 would really be great. It seems, however, that this type is rarely found on the used market.

Their idea is to spend around 400$, and I think a 10x32 would really be optimal for them. So my question is, are there any models that can be recommended? I notice that the recent Cornell test has almost no x32 models included, except for some alpha and near alpha models.

10x32's seem to be difficult to get right. I'd take a chance on a Sightron Blue Sky SII in that price range.
Admittedly I haven't looked through one. Can't use anticlockwise focusers :C

//L

Although I don't use the 10x32 all that often, I have been impressed with our Celestron Trailseeker, which evidently is a clone of the Zen-Ray ZRS HD 8/10x32. It is light in weight and trim in dimensions, so it is a delight to carry around your neck, even for long periods of time. The view is nicely sharp, and brighter than I would have estimated.

The only other one I can think of would be the newly-introduced Nikon Monarch 7. I have yet to look through one, but it might be just the right thing for your needs. Here in the US at least, it would also meet your price requirement.

The Sightron suggestion above is also certainly worth investigation. The 8x version of the SII Blue Sky performs above it's price point, so perhaps the 10x does as well. I don't own a 10x because the new Z-R/Trailseeker is smaller in dimension and lighter in weight, so I went with that one instead.

If you can get Leupold products, then you might look at the Mojave 10x32. It is a nice and compact bino that also has a very nice appearance IMO. I think that it's view is not any better than the Z-R/Trailseeker however, so I don't think they are worth the 2x premium over a Trailseeker. But you might like them a lot, and you certainly cannot go wrong with one.

Please try the Nikon EII 10x35. It is a good binocular. This can be ordered in some countries in Europe.

Good illumination accross the view as you let your eye move a little behind the eyepiece.

If you want to go the more fashionable roof binoculars, that Opticron Traveller BGA MG 10x32 looks good. You will have to try it to see if it fits you. It will not give you the thourough illumination that the Nikon EII Porro will support. It could be good. Being more compact, you can track your eye pupils better and keep the illumination just right.

Rob.

I've owned a number of 10 x 32s over the years and the expensive Alphas really are much superior to the low and moderately prices ones. If your son looks around the used market he might find a Nikon 10 x 32 HG L in the $500.00 price range or less. There is a good comparative review of it in this "Alula" review of the Leica 10 x 42 Ultravid. It is in English.

http://www.lintuvaruste.fi/hinnasto/optiikkaarvostelu/optics_8_Leicaultravid_GB.shtml

I have one and it is really an excellent binocular. It's been discontinued since Nikon came out with the EDG but you might still be able to find a new one for sale in your price range.

Your son could consider the Pentax 9 x 32 which some people here have noted has more than a passing resemblance to the Blue Sky Sightron 8 x 32. It costs under $300.00.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/pentax/pentax-dcf-bc-9x32-binocular

I haven't used it but it has received good reviews in several places and 9x isn't that much different from 10x.

Bob

Last edited:
Curious, why a 32 vs. 40 class? Seems like you'd have many more options and benefits with a 10x40/42 binocular with the only disadvantage being a few more ounces of weight. If you're determined to stick with a 10x30 class, the initial reports of the Monarch 7 10x30 seem to be positive and they're in your price range.

Hi Robert,

have a look at the new Monarch 10x30 or the similar Kite Lynx 10x30. You'll find first reports here (on the 8x30s), I myself had a brief chance to look at the Monarch recently. I think these should be very nice, small binoculars.

Regards, Florian

Thank you all for the fabulous suggestions. I should say that my son lives in the US, so there should be no problem getting most of the ones mentioned at better prices than here in Switzerland. He is presently visiting for a week, so I offered to help him find his way through the wide selection on the market. My original suggestion had been a Zeiss 8 or10x32 FL, but that's way beyond his price range. He simply does not use his binoculars all that often to justify the expense. On the other hand, on their travels, like a planned trip to Patagonia next month (his wife is from Uruguay, so they visit there for Christmas), he'd like something better than his present x25 Nikon Sportstar II.

Going through my own "collection" of models, was how we started to narrow the choice to a 10x32ish type roof model.

I like the previous suggestions of the Sightron Blue Sky SII 10x32 and/or the Pentax 9x32. The former was briefly reviewed by one of our forum members (think it was Binoboy) not too long after I started the Sightron thread. If I remember his overall impressions correctly the performance of the 10x32 was equivalent to the 8x32 with the understanding of all the usual differences that are the result of the switch from an 8x to a 10x.

Please try the Nikon EII 10x35. It is a good binocular. This can be ordered in some countries in Europe.

Good illumination accross the view as you let your eye move a little behind the eyepiece.

If you want to go the more fashionable roof binoculars, that Opticron Traveller BGA MG 10x32 looks good. You will have to try it to see if it fits you. It will not give you the thourough illumination that the Nikon EII Porro will support. It could be good. Being more compact, you can track your eye pupils better and keep the illumination just right.

Rob.

Yes indeed. The Nikons are available through dealers in Japan. I believe Rakuten International has them and they appear on Yahoo Japan auctions.

I've always wondered what a Vortex Fury 10X32 might be like. I seem to see them pop up on Craigslist or the auction sight now and again.... I have the 6.5 X 32 and quite like it for it's comfort in the hand and big friendly window-like view.

But we are looking for roofs, not porros; because of size, not fashion

I must have missed that limitation in the original post. As the owner of an EII yes I agree that fashion is minor consideration. However I think the overall size is going to be fairly close for bins with the same optical specs although shaped differently. The Nikon Monarch 10x30 roofs should be good for travel being relatively light in weight and compact.

http://www.nikon.com/news/2013/0819_monarch7_01.htm

Last edited:
I don't think he will find any really good 10 x 30/32 roof prisms with a $400.00 price limit. Most will have a small FOVs in the 290'-315' range and the ones with wider fields will have soft edges. (For instance the Nikon HG Ls I mentioned above have a 340'FOV with an almost perfectly flat field, but they are Alphas.) If he can live with that he will be satisfied.

It might be a good idea to wait until he can try one of the new Nikon 10 x 30s. They should be coming out in the states soon.

He might even find that the porro prism Leupold 10 x 30 Yosemite will perform better. He should try one of them out too.

Bob

Last edited:
What about Vortex Viper HD? Compact, rugged, unconditional lifetime warranty. And the Vipers are by all accounts close enough to alpha optically to satisfy a casual user like your son.

There have been multiple recent holiday sale promos (eg at OpticsPlanet) which would bring this model to the ~$500 price point.

I had the 8x32 and loved it. Is there a specific reason why 10x32 over 8x32??

I've always wondered what a Vortex Fury 10X32 might be like. I seem to see them pop up on Craigslist or the auction sight now and again.... I have the 6.5 X 32 and quite like it for it's comfort in the hand and big friendly window-like view.

I, too, love the Fury 6.5x32 dearly. But having seen how poor their boosted (2.5x) sharpness was, I know I would never cope with a Fury 10x32.

//L

......... Is there a specific reason why 10x32 over 8x32??

Just getting a somewhat larger image does not hurt as long as one has steady hands and can live with some loss of brightness and FOV.

The Vortex Fury is actually beyond the price range. I had asked for up to 500$ with the understanding that street prices then tend to be in the 400$ range or lower.

Rob.

You never mentioned what he uses the bins for, but if it doesn't involve standing in the rain or using the bins in the dead of winter, then I concur with Highway Dog that the 10x EII is the best optics he could buy at this price point. He might be able to get one for $450-$465 from a Hong Kong store if they have new old stock from before the Japanese tsunami. They are $550 and up from Japan now.

Some UK stores carry the EII series, but their prices are usually outrageous.

The larger exit pupil, EWA 70* apparent FOV, and very sharp and contrasty optics will provide a great deal of viewing pleasure. It's also the only 10x bin I can really hold steady, thanks to the ergonomics, which fit my hands perfectly.

My only reservations on your side of the pond are the warranty period in Switzerland vs. the US and where you would send them for repairs. You'd need to check those out.

Brock

Last edited:
I, too, love the Fury 6.5x32 dearly. But having seen how poor their boosted (2.5x) sharpness was, I know I would never cope with a Fury 10x32.

//L

Agreed. I enjoyed the Fury when I had it but it wasn't razor sharp. I did close comparisons with the Viper 6x32 (non HD) and the Viper was clearly sharper despite the slightly lower magnification.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back