• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10X42 NL Pure - Holy Moly (1 Viewer)

dwever

I finally spent the afternoon with a 10X42 NL Pure and a 10X42 EL. I'll make this relatively quick.

The NL Pure is brighter, has more contrast, the FOV slaps you, and then when you go back to the EL slaps you again for the loss. The level of detail is impressive, and almost as importantly, beautifully presented. The advance of the NL is not incremental but in most ways distances itself from other alpha binoculars in a way unseen by the industry since perhaps 2004?

My conditions outside were not conducive to glare and I did not experience any, and I remain curious about this issue.

The focuser is as close to perfectly smoothe as possible although I would like a tad more resistance, the eye cups are better, the diopter adjustment is curious and I don’t know if the design will be a good answer. The ergonomics are everything you've read about, and the armor's texture was also very pleasing. I've never owned a Swarovski and I will be starting with the NL in 8X42.

NOTE: IMO, the NL's more than other alphas ask to be used without glasses; and, with my eyes buried in the cups caused the massive FOV to be more fully absorbed and immersive.

Attachments

• A82D4C35-AC40-4E4D-AAD5-06AB84A37EC7.jpg
    A82D4C35-AC40-4E4D-AAD5-06AB84A37EC7.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Deedubbyya - how come you will be owning the 8x42 after looking through the 10x42 ??

Doesn't the 10x, even in 133m extra wide NL form, cut it for you as an all round birding binocular ?

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
Deedubbyya - how come you will be owning the 8x42 after looking through the 10x42 ?? Doesn't the 10x, even in 133m extra wide NL form, cut it for you as an around birding binocular ? Chosun :gh:

Yes, it more than cuts it. But I'm a creature of habit apparently. My first two alphas were 7X (Zeiss Marines and Leica 7X42 UVHD+) and the rest have been 8's. I think the lower powers are just my place of learned comfort from years of use, less susceptibility to shake, and less attention to focusing with the deeper depth-of-field.

About seven years ago I bought a pair of 10X50 UVHD+ from GR8ful Doug, and as nice as they were, ultimately I just couldn't do it.

Last edited:
I've just bought a 10x42 NL, and I agree with your sentiments. Just an all-round awesome package.

I haven't found glare to be much of an issue, either. It can be managed when it occurs, but for the most part, the NL's handle stray light well enough (if you get your IPD and eye cups set correctly).

My first two alphas were 7X (Zeiss Marines and Leica 7X42 UVHD+) and the rest have been 8's. I think the lower powers are just my place of learned comfort from years of use, less susceptibility to shake, and less attention to focusing with the deeper depth-of-field.

About seven years ago I bought a pair of 10X50 UVHD+ from GR8ful Doug, and ultimately I just couldn't do it.
Ok - thanks.
Yeah sometimes the dof, and steadiness of the image, are just as big a factor as Fov.

I'm sure you'll be thrilled.
I actually like 8x over 7x precisely because of the lesser dof - I find it can give me a more positive sense of achieving the optimum focus point. 10x with it's shallower dof again, can be a bit more difficult in some rapidly changing situations - requiring you to chase the focus point around as the bird erratically changes distances and directions.

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
I finally spent the afternoon with a 10X42 NL Pure and a 10X42 EL. I'll make this relatively quick.

The NL Pure is brighter, has more contrast, the FOV slaps you, and then when you go back to the EL slaps you again for the loss. The level of detail is impressive, and almost as importantly, beautifully presented. The advance of the NL is not incremental but in most ways distances itself from other alpha binoculars in a way unseen by the industry since perhaps 2004?

My conditions outside were not conducive to glare and I did not experience any, and I remain curious about this issue.

The focuser is as close to perfectly smoothe as possible although I would like a tad more resistance, the eye cups are better, the diopter adjustment is curious and I don’t know if the design will be a good answer. The ergonomics are everything you've read about, and the armor's texture was also very pleasing. I've never owned a Swarovski and I will be starting with the NL in 8X42.

NOTE: IMO, the NL's more than other alphas ask to be used without glasses; and, with my eyes buried in the cups caused the massive FOV to be more fully absorbed and immersive.

How do you do in the evening, after sunset..Swarovski 10x42NL ... or 8x42NL.? .. if you had the opportunity to test them in the evening and in the dark at night..Thanks for each comment.

I was not able to test them with the sun at or below the horizon. The first day it was overcast and raining and the 10X ability to cut through the lower light in those conditions was notable.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back