• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

10x42 v 10x32 advice for a newbie. (1 Viewer)

Mikewander

Scotland
Thanks for all the replies.
It seems like the 42 is a better fit for me. I'll try to find stockists, but if i have to order online, it seems like i should be looking for shorter eye relief if possible.

qwerty5

United States
As far as models, I would look into Swaro SLC and Vortex Razor UHD in your price range.
Here is the BirdForum thread on the UHDs (review on page 3), read the whole thing: Vortex Viper UHD beats Zeiss SF and Leica Noctivid!
Here is a SLC review: greatestbinoculars: Swarovski SLC W B 8x42
Here is a SLC vs. UHD review: Vortex Razor UHD 10X42 Review - S&S Archery Backcountry
The UHD is pretty large, but it is barely heavier than the NL Pures, and only 4 oz heavier than the SLC. The UHD has a wider FOV than the SLC. Both have about 16mm eye relief

jcnguyen09

binoculars Technology keeps evolving even with the latest models: NL 10x42 were introduced with 91% light transmission, a year later NL 10x32 was released with 92% light transmission on the spec. I don't have the NL 10x42 but I compared at dawn, the NL 10x32 to Leica Noctivid 10x42 and astonishingly surprised that the smaller 32 mm NL can keep up with a bigger NV 42mm, supposed to be one of the brightest 10x42. Understand that my old eyes be one factor but as said I am much happy with a compact, light weight NL 10x32 than the bigger x42, now NL 10x32 is my most favorite and most used bino.

ZDHart

United States
Decisions, decisions. One set I would definitely consider, if you're going to be in fairly bright conditions most of the time would be Victory SF 10x32. I have the Victory SF 8x32 and they are really impressive. I think the 10x32 would be similarly impressive. If more brightness is very important to you... Victory SF 10x42.

Nearly as awesome are Zeiss Conquest HD. I have their 8x32 and 10x42 and have been quite impressed with their performance.

If you can't find them in a shop to compare, you could order them both online and return the pair you decide against. Find a supplier with a good return policy. Just treat them like precious gold, kept perfectly pristine... if you think you might want to return.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread