• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x56 SLC: exchange eye cups for longer ones a good idea? (1 Viewer)

Scott98

Vanuatu
I've done some viewing with my new 10x56 SLC both day and night - wonderful! - but I seem to notice a bit too much blacking out when I look around. When I back off the eye cups a little, it goes away. I don't wear glasses so the eyecups are turned all the way out. But I'd like to rest the eyeguards on my brow, closer to my eyes. Especially while doing astronomy in a reclining position.

I can order the eye cups for the 8x56 SLC and swap them out - it's got 3mm more eye relief and would appear to solve the problem. Is there anything wrong with this idea? I'm assuming the 8x56 eyecups would come up 3mm higher?

Yes. This is exactly the solution you need, and what I've done myself. If you bought your SLC 56 new, SONA may even supply 8x eyecups at no charge.

Thank you very much! That is exactly what I needed to hear. I was about to pay ~$40 for these, I will try calling Swarovski and see what they say. I need to order a couple extra strap loops for my bino harness too.

I just switched the eyecups from the 8X56 SLC to the 10X56 SLC. I lost some of the total FOV with the eyecups extended out fully on the 10X56, however based on your eye socket structure you might garner different results, or an O-ring to control full extension to 2mm instead of the full three.
Your mileage might vary.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back