• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

11000kms around NZ (1 Viewer)

We left and headed for Te Kuiti where, just outside of the town, are the Waitomo Caves. We did the 1500 tour which was a good time as there were only 8 of us on it instead of the 50+ when all the coaches arrive between 1000-1430 – be advised! The 45min tour was really good - the echoless ‘cathedral’, huge limestone formations, massive stalactites and stalagmites, holes (tomos) that seemed to drop forever and of course, the subterranean boat-trip into the unbelievable glow-worm caves. As we sailed into the darkness, we rounded a corner and were confronted by an awesome underground constellation above us on the cave ceiling. The brighter they glow, the hungrier they are apparently. Fantastic stuff. We also visited the site’s museum which was full of interesting nick-nacks and a collection of bird skeletons found in the caves that included moas, kiwis, kakapos, huia, cave rail and an adzebill – what a bird that must have been!!
We headed westwards and stopped at the impressive limestone archway at Mangapohue. Water droplets constantly fell from above, the rock walls themselves covered in ferns, leaves and mosses gleaming in the filtered sunlight and surreal formations on the walls and ceilings, tree roots hanging through the holes above, plants clinging to the damp walls at impossible angles...nature at its best! Next we walked through lush native forests to the thundering Marokopa Falls. Now this is a waterfall – complete with an arcing rainbow in its billowing spray clouds, the noise almost deafening and the droplets in the air saturating us in seconds!
Suitably impressed with that we followed the road north along the edge of Kawhia Harbour, stopping in the picturesque bays, one of which held a nice Buff-banded Rail. Drove up through fab karst formations dotted across the rugged hillsides, all unfortunately degraded by grazing but again, in the little valleys and on some isolated tops, rich native forest is regenerating nicely. We watched a group of displaying Wild Turkeys displaying on one such hillside as Masked lapwings harassed a too-low flying Australasian Harrier and a cool NZ Falcon zipped across the horizon. Another wonderful rainbow celebrated the cessation of another heavy downpour, glowing almost unreal in the green valley and we ended up along Hwy31 overlooking a sultry sunset across the harbour – not often I got to see one of them in NZ!!
The following morning, everything was back to normal – rain and hail! Didn’t do much today at all, drove towards Rotorua and hoped the weather improves. Luckily rhe following day dawned bright and sunny so we headed to nearby Wai-O-Tapu and its amazing geothermal features. On the approach to the info centre, we stopped at the amazing mud-pools where it was all boiling, bubbling, popping, squelching and smelling like bad eggs. Amazing – I could watch this stuff all day, like the shots of lava solidifying as it hits the sea or the start of Willy Wonka and all that folding chocolate...! We then bought our tickets and headed back a short distance to watch the Lady Knox geyser erupt. At 1015, one of the staff drops small slivers of soap into the steaming hole which breaks the surface tension between the lower hot water chamber and the higher cold water one, which in turn causes at first a bubbling froth and then a huge jet of water to gush out at least 15m into the sky! Cool! Lovely smells too....
We wandered round the ‘thermal wonderland’ and thoroughly enjoyed it. There are several walks of varying lengths and it takes roughly 75mins to walk out to the Lake Ngakoro waterfall and back, depending on how long you spend gawping of course! The iconic bubbling ‘champagne pool’ was especially stunning, its edges a rich orange colour from the minerals deposited there often obscured from view as the wind whipped up the steam into an enveloping mist tinted pink nearer the water’s surface. The ‘artist’s palette’ was also pretty spectacular as was the ‘devil’s bath’, a crater inside which the water was an unreal shade of vivid green-yellow and changes colour depending on the amount of light reflected and the cloud cover. What a brilliant place and well worth a visit!
We ended up heading eastwards, seeing some Barbary Doves on the way and slept in a cosy motorhome park near Clifton where I managed to superglue the camcorder back together...! The next couple of days were spent driving around the East Cape, visiting art-deco Napier and seeing Captain Cook’s landing site at Gisborne on the way. Spent one night parked on the beach at Pouawa Sandhills where (in brilliant sunshine for a change!) did some evening seawatching and had Little and Fluttering Shearwaters, several Arctic Skuas, Salvin’s Albatross and a Great-winged Petrel amongst the commoner seabirds. The roads across the cape are twisty and awful with lots of ‘peeled-back’ sections ready for re-surfacing and the signage is non-existent so we missed most of the interesting sites! I can’t say I found the Maori people too welcoming either as we drove around and were basically glared at whenever we made eye contact...and we also found out about the disturbing attack on an unfortunate young Dutch couple on their honeymoon who were driving round just as we were (and even in the same sort of van!) when they were kidnapped, raped and robbed at gunpoint from the carpark of a well-known waterfall near Kerikeri by a couple of Maori as they prepared to sleep and were later dumped (alive, thankfully) in a graveyard....nice. Police were now advising people to camp only in caravan parks and it was a stark reminder that NZ, just like every other country in the world, has its darker underside. The tourist board obviously keeps these happenings as low-key as possible but we consequently heard about quite a few other disappearances and murders that have happened over the last few years....so, don’t let your guard or common-sense down and above all else, NZ is still an amazingly wonderful country!
We also drove up onto the Coromandel Peninsula and stopped at Opoutere Beach to wander through the pine forests to Wharekawa Spit where I finally found gorgeous NZ Dotterels breeding upon it.
View attachment dotterel newzealand (1).bmp
Also here were North Island Kakas, Variable Oystercatchers, Spotted Dove and Eastern Rosellas. Headed up to Hahei Beach and as we now weren’t talking (again!) I went to look at the stingrays in the aptly named Stingray Bay and Dawn went to look at the impressive Cathedral Cove (as seen in Prince Caspian). Gorgeous views were had from the carpark overlooking Mercury Bay with its myriad of islands. We later cut across the cape on a horrible dirt road and visited the huge Square Kauri tree which was over 133ft tall with a 30ft thick trunk!! Apparently the 15th biggest on the peninsula it towered over the surrounding canopy. What must NZ have looked like before most of these giants were felled?? We finally parked up alongside the Firth of Thames with an amazing sunset as our backdrop.
The following day we finally arrived at Miranda and dropped into the info centre where, bizarrely, the only foreign fieldguide they sold was for Fiji, our next destination – result! We parked up back down near to the track out to the hides and wandered out towards it, buffeted the entire way by the relentless wind....grrrr!
View attachment wrybill (4).bmp
The star bird here was undoubtedly the endemic 50-or-so Wrybills we watched scurrying around, looking bizarrely monotone against the greenery. Also here were c3000 Barwits, a surprise Hudsonian Godwit that’s been around for a while apparently, 11 Sharp-tailed and a Curlew Sand, 3 Red-necked Stints, c1500 Knot, c500 White-headed Stilts, Variable and SI Pied Oysters, Caspian and White-fronted Terns, Black-billed and Kelp Gulls, Grey Teal, Masked Lapwing, White-faced Herons, Skylark and a Great White Egret. A great place to lose a couple of hours! We decided to head north as we had arranged a kiwi trip for the following evening so we drove across the impressive Auckland Bridge and drove until we got bored near Dome valley where we parked up in a truck stop. Unusually we were soon joined by about five other vehicles which no doubt had to do with the recent nastiness. It was quite fun actually as one of the vans had 3 Swedes with a guitar in it who kept us entertained. The downside was the huge lorries rolling past all night with their headlights blazing through the curtains...oh well, safety in numbers!
We reached Waipu Cove the following morning and found Johnson’s Point Drive easily enough. We parked at the end of it which overlooks the cove itself and out on the dunes opposite I found 6 beautiful Fairy Terns, 2 of which were on nests – much to the joy of the DOC officer that pulled up and wasn’t aware they bred this far down...!
View attachment tern fairy (7).bmp
These birds are still considered a subspp at present but hopefully they will be split soon as there are actually only about 30 left, of which only about 10 pairs breed!! Species status will obviously increase protection given them and can’t come soon enough in my opinion. Also in the bay were NZ Dotterels, Variable Oysters and a few Knot. We then drove further north towards Helena Bay and found the signs to Teal Bay easily enough and parked up beside Ohwae Stream, about 1km past the village. Looking up the creek there was a flock of 20 Brown Teal feeding and resting along it, not the most interesting-looking endemic but certainly rare!
View attachment teal brown (10).bmp
We reached Kerikeri and as this was near the nastiness and they were still at large, we opted for the excellent Pagoda Lodge. We cooked up dinner and headed for Detlef and Carol Davies’ home, ‘Birder’s Rest’, just outside town. They offer accommodation and run trips to look for North Island Brown Kiwi and can be reached at [email protected]. Detlef, an ex-Cambridgeshire man and Carol, a vocal Scot, live in a lovely home and are truly welcoming. We left for the nearby Marsden Cross Reserve at about 2020 and were soon hunting for kiwi, red-filtered spotlights in hand! We heard at least 3 males and 2 females, at times frustratingly close, but the long grass aided their secrecy. We even saw footprints on the beach but nothing else although we did have excellent views of a Morepork and I couldn’t fault the Davies’ commitment in trying to find them for us – we didn’t leave the site until 0015!! But it was all to no avail and we got back to the campsite by 0115, gutted and totally knackered!
View attachment morepork (2).bmp

Great stuff again, Ads.
I looked at the tern shot & thought, "That looks like a Fairy tern with a black cap!"
Didn't know about them.
Cheers.
H

Cheers H - yeah, the terns that used to be called Fairy (as in the lovely ethereal white beauties) are now called White Tern (I wonder who came up with that imaginative appellation.....??!!) and Fairy Tern is now the one that looks like a foreign Little! Stunning birds all the same, and unfortunately very threatened

We left the friendly Pagoda Lodge the next morning and headed north towards the northernmost point in NZ, Cape Reinga. Just for a change, the weather became more and more crap as we journeyed on and to top it all, the brakes began making hideous grinding noises so we pulled into Awanui and the garage there booked us straight in to change the pads whilst we waited! Now can’t imagine doing that at home! So, now with much-improved stopping power, we continued out to the Cape on the coast road that became horribly corrugated for the last 20kms. Upon arrival, the views were completely obscured by the rolling fog blown by the gusting northerly winds and we could just about make out the waves below....so that was worth it....! Disappointed, we began the long drive southwards towards Gulf Harbour as we had managed to book ourselves onto Tiritiri Matangi Island for an overnight stay. The warden phoned up and warned us that the wind wasn’t looking promising for boats to be able to dock tomorrow either so that totally pissed us off! We reached the very posh-looking Gulf Harbour by 2215 and parked up in the carpark, with fingers crossed for the wind to drop....
The following morning the sun was actually out and a quick call to ‘0800-fantail’ confirmed the sailing was on – the wind was still northward so the island’s harbour is sheltered! Yeay! Pre-booking as early as possible is a must, we were extremely lucky to get a place as someone had cancelled the day we phoned 3 weeks earlier. All info can be found at www.tiritirimatangi.org.nz. The boat over, the Kawau Kat, is run by 360 Discovery and cost us NZ$35 each (you can leave from Auckland also but it’s more expensive). We left at 0950 and it took just 20mins to get to the wharf on the fabulous Tiritiri itself, seeing a few Flesh-footed, Sooty and Fluttering Shearwaters. After dumping our gear into a waiting trailer we left the hordes of day-trippers to sort out their guides and made our way up the hill towards the bunkhouse which is a quaint old building with 6-bed dorms, a large kitchen/lounge and a great selection of people to chat to – researchers, volunteers and birders.
View attachment saddleback northisland (14).bmpView attachment stitchbird (21).bmp
On the way up we saw stunning Stitchbird and a couple of North Island Saddlebacks along the main path, and the fact that every bird here is native was an amazing contrast to the mainland and was like a small step back in time: Tuis and Bellbirds were calling everywhere, NZ Pigeons flapped across the valleys, Red-crowned Parakeets were everywhere, NZ Fantails, Grey Warblers and Silvereyes all very numerous. What a brilliant place! Dawn felt a bit crook (see, local parlance an’ all that!) so I went for an exploratory wander near the old lighthouse, and soon the star of the island was seen in the shape of a couple of extraordinary Takahe!! This was yet another bird I’d wanted to see ever since reading about their amazing rediscovery and this is really the only place they can be seen. It did ruin the illusion slightly to see them harassing people for scraps around the picnic area though! But, once the day-trippers left, they came out onto the grassy slope to feed more naturally: select a piece of grass, snip it off at the base, hold it in a foot, pull out the middle and eat it by snipping lengths off it – a bit like eating a chipstick!! Their smaller cousins, the Purple Swamphens, also made this place their home but there was no denying who was boss! Awesome birds....
I walked along the ‘Wattle Trail’, getting brilliant views of a singing Whitehead and then, near the first seats a superb pair of Kokakos were feeding over the path. I watched them for ages as they peered under the leaves and then when they’d spotted something yummy underneath, they’d grip the leaf in their claws and snip it off with their bills, eat the juicy caterpillar and drop the leaf to the floor. The male fed the female a couple of times and called a few times before dropping down into the valley. Fantastic views and a great behavioural study – so much closer than the one at Pureora!
View attachment kokako (2).bmp
Went back to the bunkhouse and Dawn was feeling better so showed her the Takahe and then wandered down past the little pond with a pair of Brown Teal on it, then along Hobb’s Beach and stopping to peer into the Little Penguin boxes of which a couple were occupied – excellent! Amazing, twisted trees overhung the beach, the crystal waters full of Pied and Little Pied Cormorants. A territorial male Stitchbird, calling and giving great views was watched at the end. We wandered up the ‘Kawerau Track’ (more Stitchbirds!) and joined the ‘Ridge Track’ (great views of Red-crowned Parakeets), cut across to the ‘East Coast Track’ with its fab views over the surrounding seas from the clifftop path. The wind was very strong in exposed places, and as Dawn was beginning to flag we headed back, getting brilliant views of the Saddlebacks. Back at the accommodation we talked with the other guests: Leo and his wife Miriam, a couple of well-travelled Dutch birders were especially nice. We had a meal and got ready to go out kiwi-hunting with a young German volunteer, Julia, joining us. On some advice from one of the researchers, we first headed down to the beach to get some great views of the arriving Little Penguins coming ashore making bizarre donkey-like noises, then headed to the nearest end of the ‘Wattle Track’ where, near the bottom of the wooden steps, a pair of Little Spotted Kiwis began calling close-by. We hunkered down and there they were!! Fan-****ing-tastic!! They came so close we could here them doing a low booming call as they got close to each other and could hear them ‘sneezing’ the dirt from their nostrils. What fab birds!
View attachment kiwi littlespotted.bmp
We then wandered along the same route as this afternoon, hearing several more kiwis and seeing lots of penguins making their way inland – one even running ahead of us along the ‘Ridge Track’! On the ‘Kawerau Track’ we found a superb Tuatara in the undergrowth. This ancient reptile is apparently a living link to the dinosaurs and is often referred to as a ‘living fossil’. Back at the dorms, a Morepork and a pair of kiwis were calling nearby till gone 0200. What a great day!
The following morning, everything was back on track – rain and strong winds, so that put pay to exploring the rest of the island! The newly-arrived guests looked like drowned rats, so thank god we got here yesterday! I took the chance to pop down the partially-sheltered ‘Wattle Track’ and got brilliant views of a fine North Island Robin who appreciated my scraping away the leaf litter as he flew down to my feet – amazing to watch his left foot vibrate in super-fast pulses presumably to entice invertebrates to the surface...excellent!
View attachment robin northisland (2).bmp
A Kokako was feeding in the trees in the yard upon my return, looking pretty bedraggled and a confiding pair of Brown Quail was feeding on the path. At 1440 we wandered down to the wharf (and got absolutely drenched!) for the return to the mainland and watched the 3 Bottlenosed Dolphins that were entertaining the passengers already on the ferry. Stood on the top deck with Leo and saw a few Arctic Skuas and Common Diving-Petrels on the way back to Gulf Harbour.

I remember a news story in the summer about a conservation worker shooting a takahe during a swamphen cull .... he must have been gutted.

Re: the male kokako feeding the female, is this a mating ritual/breeding thing (lost track of what time of year you were there!) or ...

(I'm rather drawn to the Saddleback, looks a rather characterful bird!)

Great continuation of report/and pics

Thanks Deb - yeah I assume the Kokako behaviour was to do with breeding, and yep, to kill a Takahe when you thought it was a swamphen....sheesh! Saddlebacks were indeed fab - I was drawn to them too....

sketches 033 (Large).jpg

PS - Did you manage to get out today and see those 5 Grey Phals at Bracklesham?? Cool, and the one on the Ferry was still there!

PS - Did you manage to get out today and see those 5 Grey Phals at Bracklesham?? Cool, and the one on the Ferry was still there!

Me ... twitch a FALL! Nah... just gonna keep my eye on the bird bath in the garden and hope for the best ;). Off to Hope Gap tomorrow ... Wryneck, Pied fly ... still wanting

Great field sketches :t:

Last edited:
Well done Debs - nice pic, nice bird! Luckily, I managed to get the Wryneck at Thorney which showed for about 10secs and had a Pied Fly in the garden..followed by a Wood Warbler a week later and a Turtle Dove today!!

Another great dose of NZ Ads, but that bunkhouse looked a bit posh for you!
I was impressed with the fine detail in the Kiwi pic though.

Ooh cheeky!! I'm not even sure which way it's pointing!! Hahaha!
As for the bunkhouse, well a bit of 'luxury' is always nice!! Give me the back of a van anyday - proper hardcore me....none of this 'champagne' travelling malarky!

Birdboy keep meaning to post and say how much i have been enjoying your NZ trip!
Bringing back many happy memories from my "birding" visit in 2006!
I have friends in Auckland so was able to stay with them for a while and get my NZ birding eye in before traveling around that wonderful country -fell in love with South Island.
Kaikoura was something else!Loved almost everything but those Sandflies - I was lucky they didn't bite me as I was wearing the strongest Deet in the world!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back