• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Plover for debate (1 Viewer)

Hmm, I think it mostly looks like a Golden Plover, although it seems quite short billed. Structurally it looks rather like an AGP but the plumage doesn't seem at all right. I suspect I'd probably just pass it off as a funny Goldie!

I didn't see it.. About 10 years back someone came across it... it was ludicourously tame and was feeding on mudflats with Knot most of the time.

There is one other pic of it.

It was left as a funny Goldie at the time.. but every now and then I find the photos looking for something else and worry about it again!

This pic always looks very lightweight, while the other looks long-winged!

Attachments

• GP2.JPG
    GP2.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
Looks OK for a PGP Jane, certainly long-winged and 'delicate-looking' enough. And the spotting looks small enough.
I don't think the bill length can be glibly explained away by 'forshortening', either.
But as you didn't see it, I don't suppose we can expect anything in the phonetics line or an description of the underwing.

I think a problem with Pacific GP might be the quite long primary projection. Presumably, if it was around for a while and quite co-operative, people would have seen the underwing and heard it call.

Fifebirder said:
I think a problem with Pacific GP might be the quite long primary projection. Presumably, if it was around for a while and quite co-operative, people would have seen the underwing and heard it call.

No it was a single observer seen for a hour.. and it was unwilling/incapable of flying. I bet it was eaten by a fox overnight.

I shoud check that all the tertials are there!

watcha Chris

the bill is fore-shortened. Fact. Nowt glib about it.

...and PGP's have longer (and heavier) not shorter bills than goldies anyway. A short-billed 'goldie-type' is even less likely to be anything else

tertial notching more like a goldie and tertial, prims and tail structure don't really suggest PGP (more AGP if anything)

short-legged too. In the absence of any concrete features pointing otherwise and the bill, legs and structure pointing to a goldie - it's prob just a goldie

Last edited:
Hi all,
I think that it must have been a slightly odd Golden Plover:the short legs and short bill aren't right for the two 'lesser golden plovers',the position of the tertials in relation to the tail tip is wrong for Pacific,with the primary projection on the long side for that species,but this would be on the shorter end for American,which is usually also a duller,greyer bird than this.
Harry H

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back