• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

12x50 options (1 Viewer)

One tip I picked up years ago when using a tripod on a ship is to wrap the feet in generous bits of foam rubber. This will dampen out the vibrations of the ships engines etc.

If a tripod is needed, may as well put a scope on it and benefit from even more magnification. Personally I use 7x or 8x and occasionally 10x bins.

For small waders on mudflats I wholeheartedly agree with you. In most other situations viewing with two eyes is so much more comfortable. Besides, for high magnifications on a scope a large and heavy tripod is needed. For my 15X bins I use a light (1 kg) tripod that fits in a small backpack. But, to each his/her own :)

This is only a guess FWIW. Now after a quick test with available material I would think that a good 12x binocular mounted will convey detail close to that of a good 18x mono scope mounted. I found that 10x gets up to somewhat less than 16x, reckoned this as what I will see with 14-15x, and extrapolated. As 12x is less steady the % gain when mounted versus handheld will be a little more than with 10x.

Last edited:
This is only a guess FWIW. Now after a quick test with available material I would think that a good 12x binocular mounted will convey detail close to that of a good 18x mono scope mounted. I found that 10x gets up to somewhat less than 16x, reckoned this as what I will see with 14-15x, and extrapolated. As 12x is less steady the % gain when mounted versus handheld will be a little more than with 10x.

Purely anecdotal, but I got as much detail with my 12x50BGA Docter binoculars as with my Steiner 24x80 telescope.
The Docters were admittedly exceptionally sharp, but I sold the Steiner after that experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back