• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID help (1 Viewer)

pinkpigeon

Seens as there has been so much intersting talk of cormorants of late I thought I'd post these two pics I took last summer. This bird had a white front right down to the belly. Thoughts please.

Cheers

PP

Attachments

• cormorant001.jpg
    cormorant001.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 270
  • cormorant002.jpg
    cormorant002.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 261
No they aren´t (Double crested is only north american, not european),
this is a Common Cormorant (Phalocrocorax carbo); a young bird, amount of white on young cormorants is variable

gthang said:
Double-Crested Cormorant... That is, if they're in your area...
Not a bad try, considering we don't know where the pic was taken - it could just as easily have been taken on a trip to the US as anywhere.

But it isn't a D-C Cormorant, as they have a slenderer bill, which is more all-yellow in juveniles, not yellow base and grey outer part. And also, this bird has its tail spread well enough to count the feathers: 14 tail feathers, which is right for Great Cormorant, but wrong for D-C Cormorant (12).

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back