• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

15 minutes with the 8x42 NL (1 Viewer)

james holdsworth

Consulting Biologist
I recently had the opportunity to try out a friends NL but time was brief and light was bright and sharp so can’t comment on some aspects like brightness etc.

Ergonomically the binocular really surprised me. Photos don’t do justice to the wasp waist design… It’s almost pancake flat and it’s amazing that there’s actually glass there at all and it feels great in the hand. The binocular is heavy but is very well balanced.

Optically it’s a beautiful view… Extremely sharp, neutral colors, perfect whites, and virtually no CA. A few have commented on a somewhat fussy eye placement but I found the view extremely relaxed and it really is a big field of view and completely useable to the edge. I was easily able to invoke glare when looking at an angle to the sun but it is confined to the lower portion of the field of view and I could eliminate it almost completely by moving the eyecups down all the way. I could detect very faint rolling ball panning up and down but not sideways, trivial in practice.

I compared the NL directly with my HT and, apart from the bigger field of view and sharp edges, the centre fields to my eyes are virtually identical in terms of color, contrast, apparent sharpness, CA. Both were excellent in controlling veiling glare and the HT‘s slightly better at handling crescent glare. Henry would suggest my eyes aren’t good enough to see any difference in resolution and that’s probably fair but it still left me extremely satisfied with what I currently have.

Overall a nearly flawless package and if someone suggested NLs are the best binocular currently available I would not disagree. One other note… the binoculars are only a few months old and the rubber had already picked up many scuffs and small scratches so it appears to be a bit frail in that respect.

Cheers

Last edited:

PYRTLE

Old Berkshire Boy
Good to read, even if you only had them for a short while. I found paragraph 3 most refreshing in that you could induce but also easily compensate for any CA present. I wish more binocular users could/ would adopt this attitude.
Regards.

BabyDov

Supporter
United States
I would add that the focus was silky smooth with almost too little resistance for my tastes...I like a bit more clinical feel.
As long as there is no free play in the focusing, and the focusing is precise, why do you and others prefer more resistance? I would think less resistance makes for quicker focusing which is sometimes useful for tracking moving birds.

PYRTLE

Old Berkshire Boy
As long as there is no free play in the focusing, and the focusing is precise, why do you and others prefer more resistance?
So that you don't " overrun " when adjusting the focus. It is as with all optics a very personal thing....ideally one wishes to snap the object into perfect sharpness in one movement, rather than twiddle it back and forth till you obtain the desired detail.

casscade

I would add I had the same or a similar experience, but mine was comparing a 8x42 slc current model vs the 8x42nl, fov was optically the only thing that separated these bins imo. Actually contrast was a bit more vibrant in the slc’s, but the huge apparent field in the NL is what makes it remarkable. Just my opinion.

tenex

reality-based
I was easily able to invoke glare when looking at an angle to the sun but it is confined to the lower portion of the field of view and I could eliminate it almost completely by moving the eyecups down all the way.
Your 15 minutes with the NL sound much like mine. It really has to be held and used to be believed. But I don't follow this: how is lowering the eyecups solving the glare problem?

I found paragraph 3 most refreshing in that you could induce but also easily compensate for any CA present.
? ...I don't see that in the OP.

james holdsworth

Consulting Biologist
Your 15 minutes with the NL sound much like mine. It really has to be held and used to be believed. But I don't follow this: how is lowering the eyecups solving the glare problem?

? ...I don't see that in the OP.
Don‘t know although I would suspect moving my eyes in put the glare out towards the edge and beyond my fov ...my 8x32 conquest HD is similarly afflicted and getting my eye closer to the ocular greatly reduced visible glare.

Question 2 - referring to glare, not CA.

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia

Users who are viewing this thread