• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chooo....ki..ti......chooo...ki...ti (1 Viewer)

tarves57

Yes, a very wierd song. It took me ages to actually see this bird, and it was quite a distance away, so the pics aren't very good. Once again, it's a warbler type. Any ideas?

Thanks
Susan

Attachments

• chook.jpg
    chook.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 231
  • chook2.jpg
    chook2.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 230
I had a Warbler saying "ink---in" to the cadence "in out" like for rowing - no idea what it was the bird was in the sun and I couldn't get the sun behind me!!

Hi Susan,

It looks to me like a Chiffchaff and from your description of the song it sounded like one, albeit a slight variation on the classic 'Chiff-chaff'. They sometimes add in the odd extra note.

tarves57 said:
Yes, a very wierd song. It took me ages to actually see this bird, and it was quite a distance away, so the pics aren't very good. Once again, it's a warbler type. Any ideas?

Thanks
Susan
I think that the photo is of a chiffchaff - and the song is quite distinctive: swi-swa / swi-swa / swi-swi-swi / swi-swa... ...

Last edited:
Fifebirder said:
Hi Susan,

It looks to me like a Chiffchaff and from your description of the song it sounded like one, albeit a slight variation on the classic 'Chiff-chaff'. They sometimes add in the odd extra note.

no, no, it was definitely choo..kity...choo..kity...constantly, I purposely listened very hard to this bird and tried to remember the sound. A bit like a train, but a different rhythm. It was very distinctive though.

Remember I have a Scottish accent! ;)

Well... not to disagree but I think that birds cannot possibly make the sound "ch"...

A common whitethroat can make a sound something similar to what you describe, I think - but that's not the bird in your photo. Odd, eh!

Last edited:
Hi Susan,

The picture certainly shows either a Chiffchaff or a Willow Warbler (and I'm fairly sure it's a Chiffchaff). I know it's difficult to describe the sounds a bird makes in words but your description of the song you've given would certainly fit with what I've heard some Chiffchaffs do. They often give a rather hesitant or stuttery version of the regular song with three or four notes in each 'phrase' rather than just two. Your description doesn't match with anything I've heard a Willow Warbler do (they give a fluid descending of the scale). Although it had a different rhythm to a regular Chiffchaff song, did it have the same sort of tone?

Fifebirder said:
Hi Susan,

Although it had a different rhythm to a regular Chiffchaff song, did it have the same sort of tone?

Not sure what you mean by tone, but it was a long chooooo or chew, then chee chee. It was quite fragmented, as you say, so probably was a Chiffchaff.

Wasn't there a link on Birdforum to a sound database at one point? Can't seem to find it now.

Thanks everyone!
Susan

It's quite amusing seeing how people translate a sound into the nearest written equivalent. I've never heard a Chiffchaff as "chiff .. chaff", but as "tu .. tutsie, tu ... tutsie ..", the rhythm of which seems very similar to your "choo ... ki .. ti". But most of my friends don't hear it that way at all.

Alan Hill

Bluetail said:
Chiffchaff for me too.

Steve: Given that the bird's name is onomatopoeic, there's no doubt people hear it as a "ch".

Jason
I take your point but I don't and I never have. It's been one of those things that have made me wonder since I was a youngster. My son, too, the other day was asking me why it is "chiff chaff" - especially close to the bird, there is no hint (to either of us) of a "ch" sound - and it's hardly surprising when you think of the complexity of making that sound.

What a lovely word, 'onomatopoeic' - I read somewhere that apparently less than 1% of the population can spell it correctly...

alanhill said:
It's quite amusing seeing how people translate a sound into the nearest written equivalent. I've never heard a Chiffchaff as "chiff .. chaff", but as "tu .. tutsie, tu ... tutsie ..", the rhythm of which seems very similar to your "choo ... ki .. ti". But most of my friends don't hear it that way at all.

Alan Hill
I agree with you - it's always intrigued me how the name came about, although it is difficult to make a word that "looks" right in any other way. The cuckoo's call is the same, "hu-hoo", no "k" sound at all to me.

jeff said:
Maybe there was a cat about :)

About as funny as an Iberian Warbler.......
(Which incidentally I looked up....... (o)< )

Okay, this weekend, weather permitting, I am taking my P&S which records sound very clearly. I am not sure whether this will pick up the bird song (assuming it's still there).

Then you can all describe what you hear........

Susan

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back