• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Tern? (1 Viewer)

cuckooroller

Hi Guys,

I'm bucking a consensus with these pics. A number of people, including the author, have been telling me these are of a species for which I seem to be the only voice in the wilderness not seeing it that way. Either they're nuts or I am badly stringing one.

From the Texas Gulf Coast, and mating so in alternate plumage.

Attachments

• Unk. Tern Texas Gulf Altern. Plum. 1.jpg
    Unk. Tern Texas Gulf Altern. Plum. 1.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 255
  • Unk.Tern Texas Gulf Altern. Plum 2.jpg
    Unk.Tern Texas Gulf Altern. Plum 2.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 240
Royal Terns? Will apply brain later! The bird in the right hand side of the left hand pic is the only one which made me look twice (as poss Caspo) and if I am honest, until I saw where the pic was taken I was thinking more along Lesser-crest/Elegant lines.

Last edited:
Rob Smallwood said:
Royals and and a Sandwich for me too - time for the full story now Steve?

Well, at least I am not nuts! These pics are supposedly Caspian Terns. I have never seen them as Caspians but rather as Royal Terns. I don't see a lot of black under the tail. Considering just the bill alone, the birds pictured in alternate have orange bills and compared with the Caspian bill, which when alternate, should be bright red with a sub-terminal black ring and an orange terminus, at the culmen are just not thick enough and certainly don't demonstrate the massive culmen of the Caspian.

:bounce:

especially when in full breeding condition American Royal Terns (subspp maxima) do often develop redder tones in the bill so maybe that is what is confusing people...but these are undoubted Royals, the underside of the primaries is black in Caspian of course.

dave

I definitely agree, Royal Terns and probable Sandwich. I was just in FL a couple weeks ago and saw lots of them. Here are a few pics.

Attachments

• Royal Tern 1.jpg
    Royal Tern 1.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 186
  • Royal Tern 3.jpg
    Royal Tern 3.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 208
Here's a few more photos.........

Attachments

• Royal Terns 1.jpg
    Royal Terns 1.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 170
  • Royal Terns 2.jpg
    Royal Terns 2.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 165
  • Royal Terns 3.jpg
    Royal Terns 3.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 179
Agree, all Royals alright. :bounce:

Steve, re your private email Caspian should have way stubbier 'n reddier bill with (as you said) a black subterminal dot and less shaggy nape/crest.

Ken Kaufman refers the bill color of the Royal as carrot orange which I personally much like that metaphor.

Also in the 1st pix, there is a lone Sandwich among Royals on the left background. ;)

Gotta go find/shoot migrating sparrows now. it's about time they show up!

Ha, no need bein' too ruffling up. o:)

Yes, I meant photographing. I enjoy birds and outdoor by observing and studying 'em, not by other means. :bounce:

Chaiyan said:
Agree, all Royals alright. :bounce:

Steve, re your private email Caspian should have way stubbier 'n reddier bill with (as you said) a black subterminal dot and less shaggy nape/crest.

Ken Kaufman refers the bill color of the Royal as carrot orange which I personally much like that metaphor.

Also in the 1st pix, there is a lone Sandwich among Royals on the left background. ;)

Gotta go find/shoot migrating sparrows now. it's about time they show up!

Chaiyan,
Thanks. Good luck on the hunt!

Hi Steve,
You mention 'a couple of people,including the author(my italics)' calling these Caspian Terns:am I to believe that a published book has stated that this was the case?Agree completely with the others above,they are certainly Royal Terns(all that reading up about 'orange billed' terns when the Elegant was at Dingle leaves some information in one's mind!).
Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back